Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Fishing Line Question
I've heard good things about Silver Thread Line. I was planning on spooling a couple of my trolling rigs with it. It turns out that there are 3 kinds of Silver Thread...'Super Silver Thread', 'Silver Thread AN40', and 'Silver Thread Excalibur'. Which should I use? I would use the rigs for downrigging, planer boards, and for flat line trolling.
[signature]
[size 1]I use Silver Thread Excalibur and find it to cast easily and is extremely resistant to abrasion.[/size]
[signature]
I use excalibur and love it. i do have it on one trolling rig. Just have not used it yet to give any insight. I would talk to pat (tubedude) he might have the info you are after. All i know is that 8lbs test is a hard one to break off if you get a snag, at powell I had to cut it.
[signature]
Here is one of TubeDude's posts on using Excalibur:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=59032;search_string=Excalibur;#59032"]Click here for the link:[/url]
[signature]
The Silverthread Excalibur is a good all around line. I use it for fresh and saltwater applications and find it to work extremely well in both situations.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]I second what the others have said in response to your question, fishry. I've only been using it for a few months, but ABSOLUTELY love it so far! That stuff is tough as nails, and casts really nice too, but don't put too much of it on your spool, or you'll have some probs, as I found out the hard way. Anyway, I love the stuff!
[signature]
I have been looking at respooling a couple of my reels. I have been using Trilene XL(clear for still water and HI-VIS green for stream or river fishing) with mixed results after it has been on the reel for a season or two and used heavily or exposed to the elements for long periods. Excaliber has been recommended by several people that I know for several reasons - Abrasion resistance, strength and castiblity.

But noone has said anything about "overloading" the reel. I tend to put on as much line as possible for ease of casting - sometimes, just a little more than the recommended 1/8 inch remaining on the spool. My question, since you brought it up, is - what problems are you saying you experienced ? Were you refering to "overloading" the spool with too much line - as in exceeding the line length recommendation of the spool ? Was there a difference between the 4 # or 8 # or any other line sizes that you've used, as far as problems go ? Are there any line maintenance differences with Excaliber as opposed to other lines - like don't leave it in the sun or make sure you let it all out and straighten it behind your boat with no lure on, so as to remove the memory coils after using it ?

Lastley, if it has not been mentioned, I know I can get it on the internet but is there a place locally that carries it ? Thank you in advance.
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]"I keep looking at that red Cajun line, but I just can't bring myself to give up on a proven winner (Excalibur). Anyone had any experience with that red stuff?"[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1]I recently put it on a few of my reels (as you know I have several reels for different types of fishing -- and just in case I don't have enough I purchased a couple new line-counter reels on eBay this week) so I will have experience with it soon.[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I bought a 1/4 spool of the cajun red line, 4lb test, from cabela's. It's pretty strong stuff, and it casts well.
I've noticed two things that I don't really like about it.

1. It seems to have a lot of stretch to it, so setting the hook can be a problem.
2. It's hard to see, so if I'm still fishing, it's hard to detect bites.

On the plus side, I got the 1/4lb spool for about $10, including shipping, and I've been able to load up all my reels with it, with plenty left over.
[signature]
While on the subject of fishing lines I recently put Cuda line on my reels and it seems to be a great line. Cuda is what we used at the Gorge last weekend and of the two or three snags we had it was able to pull the snag out rather than break the line. We used 8 pound test and I use 4 and 6 on my spinning reels. So far I have really liked the line other than not being able to see it really well while still fishing.
[signature]
[size 1]"It's hard to see, so if I'm still fishing, it's hard to detect bites." I am really puzzled by this statement. One thing so far I have liked about it is that it is easy to see because it is red rather than clear. [/size]
[signature]
Pat i bit the bullet and bought some of the cajun red cast line 8lb test, it was $5 for a 1/4 spool plus shipping, so far i really like it, it is soft and easy to cast, it casts far very well, it doesnt spool off and in has no memory that i can tell. it is quite strong to my gf had a snag at yuba i nearly broke her pole trying to get the snag out but the line didnt break, however after 4 snags the line broke because i didnt re tie the knot, but that is more my fault then anything.

Ill tell you what if we meet up anywhere this summer i will give you some that way you can try it without buying it.

Kent it would seem that it is easy to see but if you are a few feet away from your rod the line becomes hard to see to ditect the bites, i think that is what mateo was trying to get at.
[signature]
sounds good to me
[signature]
[cool]I like what tubedude said about overfilling your spool. When I first put on the excalibur, I filled my spool till it was about 1/8to 1/4 of an inch from the top of the spool (from my past trolling experiences growing up with my dad's boat). This was a mistake, because after making a couple of casts I got a big birdsnest that forced me to cut off at least 50 yards worth of line. That is the ONLY negative I have found with this line is that you shouldn't fill your spool as high with the stuff as you would berkley trilene, or other mono lines. With that being said, however, I still have plenty of line left on my spinning spool to troll with it if I have the chance, and I really love this line, and agree with what the others have said about it, and that being: super strong, no line memory coils, casts smoothly, best line I've ever used, etc.

'Nuff said!
[signature]
i use the red cajun line i am convinced its the best. i was up at east canyon a week ago and was jiging with 6lb cajun line and snagged a 30lb log and brought it up frrom 80ft. man thats some strong stuff
[signature]
I've heard of fly casters getting caught in the trees, but jigging for lumber at 80 feet must be a real TREEt. Nothing like "branching out" when it comes to new fishing techniques!
[signature]
[Wink]LOL[Wink]
[signature]
The only reason jason even uses cajun red is because he's hucking 4lb casting spoons (morter rounds[Wink]).. Any lesser quality line would snap under such weight.[pirate][Tongue]
[signature]