Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard bay
[unsure] just wondering if anyone is catching any wipers, walleyes, or crappies lately. i was there on sat. and i did'nt get a bite any where on the lake. boy was it windy. i think that they were mostly shad jumping in the north marina. when we were trolling up to the courtest dock these fish were right on the surface and would go shooting off as we got close to them. they did'nt look like carp to me and there was a lot of them. please tell if you know what these fish are and how the fishing has been lately.

good luck fishing
[signature]
how big were the fish? could have been hungry early spring cats.
[signature]
I'm sure the fish you saw were shad, a few week ago I was in the North marina and saw the same thing. As far as the latest report on Willard, Dude check out the message board, that is what it is for. I think the last report by Tom P. will give you the latest info WH2
[signature]
We fished Willard Bay Wednesday evening and caught 2 19" very fat wipers. We were actually fishing for Walleyes using worm harnesses trolled very slow. Water temperature was 53.5 degrees.
[signature]
oooops i found another bad willard post. I relly need pursuasion guys. i hear lots of hype but no good posts. or is it the drought that is affecting the fishing?LOL
[signature]
too early in the year its a warm water fishery with little to no structure in the lake. when the water is cold its doesnt get real easy to catch fish. they are still there just tight lipped and takes some work to get them.
[signature]
Fishboy2 some day soon you will have to eat your words.LOL
[signature]
Hey fishboy, the day will come, like MGB said, you will learn that catching just one wiper is better than catching any other fish in Utah, with a few exceptions. But when the wiper fishing is hot it just don't get any better. WH2
[signature]
hey fishboy2 i have caught lots of wipers at willard bay in the summer and the late fall. i haven't caught any this spring yet but as the others have said when the water warms up they will start to really bite. I have caught 8 1/2 lb. largemouth bass in florida, a 26lb. mac at the gorge, 12lb. silver salmon in alaska and many other big fish in my day but i still think that the WIPER is still one of the hardest fighting fish pound for pound that i have ever caught. you just can't explain how it feels until you get a small tap on the line or a bone crushing bite that just about pulls the pole right out of your hand. once you catch a wiper i bet you will agree that they are one of the best fish that you have ever caught. KEEP THE LINE TIGHT AND YOUR DRAG SET LIGHT OR PREPARE TO HAVE YOUR LINE BROKEN
[signature]
hey, i am sure that you have caught some nice fish in the day, and im sure wipers fight well, but as of yet i have not seen any posts that would make a guy want to get up and go to willard to catch a wiper. No offense ment to any body in the forum.

fb2
[signature]
well that will be up to you to show me how it is done, that is if you are going to the fish-n-feed thing at willard. i will have no problem being shown how the wiper fights by a true wiper fisherman.

fb2
[signature]
Thanks for the kind words FB2, at this moment the boat is full for the fish-n-feed but if there is an opening you are more than welcome to come out in my boat. WH2
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 2] I fish Willard a lot, and I don't know of any fish that hits or fights as hard as a Wiper. Wiper fishing is fishing with attitude.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
okay wiper i will. and afd that is what i have heard but have not seen enough good posts to get me to go their.
[signature]
Fishboy,You have no idea what your missing.Everyone likes good fishing,but good fishing and a good fight is even better.I've had the pleasure of shark fishing in S.C. and pound for pound they are the fight.I have caught 30 pluss wipers in a couple of hours,your arems get tired and the next day you know you have been fishing.There has been times out to Willard that my daughters have actually told me,Dad if want it you real it in cause they had enough.I took one of my brothers out one day,he made the mistake of setting his pole down to get after his son and that thing didn't just get drug into the water,it launched.I wish I'd a had a camcorder on at the time,it was the funniest thing watching him run out into 3,to 4, feet of water after it and the look on his face when he turned around and said,(it's gone!)Wipers are not hard to catch,you just have to be in the right place at the right time!!!!!!I'll have to send you some pic's,last year we didn't keep anything under 5 lbs and we kept a grundle!!!!! ya just have to know how to take care of them befor cooking and they are great!!! Mike
[signature]
I agree. pound for pound the wipers are the best fighter.And the tastiest. Had them for the first time last week ,yum.Landed one on 6lb test .
[signature]