Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Cottonwood Creek
Really needed some fishing time yesterday, so made a quick run up Big Cottonwood Canyon and fished the river. Wasn't sure what I'd get, I had only fished there once before and didn't catch anything, but yesterday was kinda a nice day. I lost track of how many I got in the couple hours I was there, quite a few, but I kept 4 for dinner today. Anyone seen that dark barring on the brown trout before? And the rainbow was quite nice, maybe 12-13 inches, just guessing.

Also ran into what I think was some poison ivy, so heads up if you go up the canyons. Utah's not really prone to that stuff but I guess by the streams it's more common.
[signature]
I have seen that barring on young fish. That river can be fun for planter size fish and its not too far away. How far up the river did you go?
[signature]
I was fishing the lower end. I don't think these were young fish (they had eggs, anyway) and just estimating were mostly 10-11 inches, except the rainbow which was 12-13, guessing.

I took my kids back later that night for a picnic in one of the picnic areas, the fee is up to $8 for a picnic table!!!!! Anyway didn't even get a bite farther up.
[signature]
As far as I'm concerned, thats the best dry fly river around. Plenty of fish, easy to get them to rise, close, great pools and flat area. I usually catch more fish on dry flies than others catch on bait.
[signature]
I've never used a dry fly in my life, but great info if I can ever afford to get into fly fishing! [cool] It's high and fast right now so maybe I'd have fewer snags with dry flies, lol...
[signature]
What types of dry flies do you use? My buddy and I are trying to get into flyfishing, but honestly I don't know much about it. Is there any specific area to try up there?
[signature]
Stimulators, hoppers, ants, Caddis and Royal Wulffs.
[signature]
They'll hit anything really. I use size 14 mosquito, royal wulff, royal coachman, black gnat, irresistable.

Its best to use something with deer hair for the float, since its kind of a fast stream. Make sure you coat it with fly wax or spray. Super place for a beginner.
[signature]
Its was there when I first started fly fishing.. Just borrow someones long pole and attach your reel with mono line to it and steathfully drop your fly in the eddies and see what happens. It has to sit on top of the water, thats why you have the fly wax. It'll be a bug in you that you can't get rid of.

Its interesting to read comments. On one of tube dudes posts with the fly goddess in Deer Creek, fly goddess seems to be a diehard with flies. Many times when I went up against others when I was using baits and lures as opposed to someone with flies, they'd beat the pants off me. When you get into nymphs, thats when the action really starts. I'm pretty poor in that area. Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks bro. I guess a nymph tries to imitate a bug that's hatching under the water, right? I tried some Pistol Pete "flies" and had no luck but I'll try some of my grandpa's old ones. Thanks again for the info!!
[signature]