Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish 30 inch club
Caught this toad today at Bird Island. -- 10.3 #s and 30 inches long. Thought for sure I had gmwahl's 32 incher beat but, alas, it was not to be.....yet. Still a real beast and he gave me a real battle. Took him in for a photo session and released him to put on a few more inches.

More and bigger to come.... [Wink]

BLK
[signature]
[#0000FF]Now you're breaking the code.

Looks like that daddy cat has gone over to the dark side.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Good on ya! That is a nice cat.
[signature]
Thats a beauty. I think it is fish like this that make people think that there are blue catfish in the system here in Utah. I know it is a channel cat but it was sure a dark gray/blue color.
[signature]
Read that in the headline, and thought it said CHUB.

Like TD sez - bit of role reversal, usually the females are them ones with the big gut! "Does this angler make me look fat"

Hope you kept your thumb to yourself for a change! Glad I can say "welcome to the Club" - except you've got a seasoned pass. Mine's a bit greener.

What ya need to do is stoke up some of them other southern lip-flappers to put the hooks where the mouth is. Lots of talk, but you and your posse seem to be doing all the hard work! But - it's a labor of love!

Well done. Guess I gotta get back to work!
[#0000FF]Y'know, after looking closer at picture #3 I am going to change my opinion. I think that is a big female...with dark spawning coloration. Not uncommon. Males usually have a bigger head than body width...and a longer and more slender body. The mouth is also not the big fat-lipped male mouth.

Maybe an LGBT kitty?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD-- Interesting... I just figger'd him as male based on the color. Caught one other that was dark colored and 4 others that were the typical green/brown. Thought I had a better pic that showed proportions better but I must have erased it. No matter.... he/she was fun to catch.

Would like to know what was in that gut??... white bass, small carp, cow... appeared to be well fed and I know he/she was partial to carp meat.

BLK
[signature]
[#0000FF]Based on the best observations I can make from the pictures I really do believe it is a lady kitty. And if so then a large part of the belly contents might be eggs.

I have been nearly fooled a few times when I caught a female in darker spawn colors and thought it was a male. But not all females go through that marked color change.

I'm attaching 3 pics. The first one is a dark female that I thought was a male...but had the narrower head and thinner lips. The other two pics show the characteristic mouth and head of a male.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Good on ya! That fish is obese! My nephews 30" he caught the other night wa only 9.1#.
I knew it was just a matter of a few days before we saw this post from you. Now I'm goin to head out tonight and try to put some other 30" ers on my score card.
I caught a 26" female last week that was blue too. When I filleted her I found the eggs, kinda surprised me.
[signature]
Nice. Told ya you'd get your 30, way to go buddy.

Makes ya wonder what those cats eat for snacks. Pretty much anything is my guess.
[signature]
Great looking kitty blk. I used to love fishing bird island when I was a kid growing up in Taylorsville. In fact my biggest fish to date was a 15# male off of there about 20 years ago. I am still trying to match or beat my own record on that but haven't accomplished it yet. I have landed some nice 10-12#'s in cache valley though.
[signature]
I know UL cat colors vary from Cutlers, but it's the deep ridge down the head that screams male to me. Yeah it's got a gut like a red-neck-trucker, but that head shape, the grey/blue coloration. I'm voting it was a big boy.

But at least it's back out there swimming, so someone else from the south has a chance to land that one 30 incher from them waters too. [shocked][:p]

I still keep finding gobs of green goo in kitty bellies I investigate. Wish I knew how to wrap that crap around a hook! I did grab some elastic fluorescent green bandage tape, thought if I get some fresh carp guts... might just wrap it up around a pokey surprise.