Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackson WY area June 21 to 28
Camped at Slide lake for a week. Fished all over.

The Snake below Jackson had a good stone-fly hatch going on, but I don't fish big rivers well so got skunked.

Fished the Gros Ventre above the lake, still high and off color but managed a couple from Crystal Creek on spinners.

Fished the lake, off color as well but pretty good fishing near the inlet and outlet and around the flooded trees.

Fished the small creeks around the lake and slammed them. One out of each pocket, some to 14". I won't name the creeks as they are small and can't handle lots of pressure, but suffice to say if it was running clear, the fish were active.

Fished Ditch Creek, Granite Creek, Fish Creek and lower Flat Creek. All with flies and caught fish.

All in all, great fishing, It will really take off in the next week or two. Great time to visit the Jackson area.
[signature]
Great report, thanks for sharing![cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the report.
We are headed up there the 9th of August to spend a week. We usually make it out fishing at least twice while we are there. Beautiful area and so many great places to fish. One thing I've found over the years of fishing up there, the fly shops rarely have fishing information for the areas flatwater. I guess most of the fly fishermen go there to stream fish.
Sounds like you had a fun trip.[Smile]
[signature]
Flat Creek...on the Elk Refuge?
[signature]
Same creek, but below the refuge.
[signature]
Those overlooked small creeks in the area are a blast and a great place for kids. But that's the best week of the year an hour south on the Greys for catching big cutts. The cutts in that river fight far harder than their wimpy Utah cousins. My take is that Yellowstone and Jackson area get a lot of press but the better stream fishing is about an hour away in most directions.
[signature]
Quite a bit of good moving water around there for sure. The snake and its tribs are populated with the "Fine spotted snake river cutthroat", subspecies of the Yellowstone cutthroat. I concur on their fighting qualities; not as acrobatic or robust as a wild rainbow, but I agree they excel over Bonnevilles or Bear Lake variety in the sporting department.

Of note for anybody fishing streams in the area; many of the tributaries are closed until July in order to protect spawning native fish - check the Wyoming Proc; oh, and watch out for bears!
[signature]
I live here and I rarely fish the Snake or any of the streams around here. It's not that the fishing isn't good, it's that it's limited to snake river cutthroats, all of which are 12 to 16 inches. I have many friends that are guides on the rivers and they catch 2 or 3 fish a year over 20". I fish the South Fork in March and November, or the Green in late summer. I'm more of a brown trout guy and there just isn't great brown fishing here.
[signature]
[quote Watershadow]Quite a bit of good moving water around there for sure. The snake and its tribs are populated with the "Fine spotted snake river cutthroat", subspecies of the Yellowstone cutthroat. I concur on their fighting qualities; not as acrobatic or robust as a wild rainbow, but I agree they excel over Bonnevilles or Bear Lake variety in the sporting department.

Of note for anybody fishing streams in the area; many of the tributaries are closed until July in order to protect spawning native fish - check the Wyoming Proc; oh, and watch out for bears![/quote]

Know where fishing is allowed and know where you are. Outside Teton National Park has fewer regulations.
[signature]
I only got to fish it once for about three hours, but I was very impressed with The Greys. I think I landed around 50 cutts in that time with a couple around 20". They definitely fight a lot harder than the Bonnies down here in Utah. I really need to get back up there someday.
[signature]