Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bear river
thinking of heading up to the bear river by the bird refuge!Wondering if anyone has been there lately may be with info . Went there last month fished by where the dirt road starts only had one on but lost . Also seen a boat down below the boat ramps they seemed to do pretty good !I have a 19ft starcraft and was wondering if i could put this boat on the river.
thanks for any info
will post if lucky
[signature]
Do you have a motor trim on your main motor? If you can only pull your main motor up by hand I would not try it, lots of shallow spots on the bear and that is a larger boat for that river. If you can trim your motor up it is possible but you will still run into shallow spots, so you just have to be careful, if you go. If fished it a lot, years ago in my 14 ft aluminum boat and never had and issues. Where are the boat launches you are taking about?
[signature]
yes i have hydro tilt and the boat ramps were couple miles or so before you get to the three spillways before the dirt road starts. I saw a guy up by correen stuck on a sand bar but the guys i saw last trip were in maybe 16ft with small motor. Maybe i'll try the bank just seems like alot of pressure!
[signature]
It has been a few years since I have fished the Bear in my boat but I'm not sure where you are talking about. The only boat launches I'm aware of are in Corrine, one above the bridge and one below the bridge. Spillways and dirt road? Not sure where that is, except for the irrigation diversion, that might be considered a spillway[:/]. I have launched a small boat down near the gate going into the bird refuge is and gone up stream, it is deeper in that direction until you get to the spot where the river splits. Let me look it up on Google earth and see if I can find what your talking about.
[signature]
You have to follow bear river road on google earth .Boat ramp has a big parking lot even with handicap parking. Follow bear river rd to where the river has 3 splits and then go north couple miles I had to zoom in to see it !
[signature]
Ok, I think I see it, the reason I did not know about it was because I've never been that far into the Bird Refuge. I've only fished up stream below Corinne and before the
Bird Refuge. Is this pic the spot you are talking about where the parking lot is?
[signature]
I fish that river alot in a boat and down by the bird refuge where you are talking about launching gets really shallow, you could probably walk across the river if you wanted to. I think your best bet is to launch in Corinne and go up river because it is alot deeper up that way. If you go down river in a boat that big you will for sure get stuck on a sand bar. I use a 12 foot flat bottom with a 8 horse outboard and I still hit bottom in some spots down by the refuge.
[signature]
shallow and iffy say off it
[signature]
Was out to the refuge yesterday. Probably saw the same boat on the lower river. Lots of people everywhere on the banks but was a great day to be out even for the middle of March.
The water is still fairly cold, did catch 3 large carp and one large cat.
But the water has dropped at least 2 feet in the last 3 weeks, I would be concerned even running my 14 ft john boat on the river right now.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
well I think I will stick to bank fishing .some people say they catch nice cats that way ! Thanks for all the help ! and yes the ramp is north right around there.
[signature]