Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scent question
i have heard guys using wd-40 on there jigs as an atractant while ice fishing. is this legal or illegal.

thanks

jr8fish
[signature]
I don't know if its legal or not but my uncle uses it to mask human scent on his bait! He says it help catch more fish
[signature]
I don't use it because I don't see the point in polluting lakes and streams.
[signature]
I agree!
[signature]
Not to mention contaminating the very fish you may eat later. Yuck........

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I have wanted to take a pole to see how many people use some type of attractent to catch fish. Adds tell you that they will increase your catch. I have used smelly jelly off and on for the past 2 years and I can't say that I have seen a difference in production with or with out the smell added. Anyone out there have an opinion on the topic? Do you know of any scientific studies to back up the use of odor attractants? If anyone has proven results please reply with your experiences. Thanks for your input, DKSRenegade
[signature]
[cool][size 1]But they slide down so much easier.[/size]
[signature]
I know the battle rages on about whether WD40 is, or is not, hazardous to the environment.

For anyone thinking on using WD40 to catch more fish, take a look at the attached Material Safety Data Sheet from WD40 themselves. Then tell me if you want this stuff near anything you are going to eat. I know I don't.

To read this document, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed.
Click here to get the reader if you don't have it.
[url "http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html"]http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html[/url]

Don't get me wrong. I will almost always have a can of WD40 in my home, in my toolbox, and in my vehicles. I just don't prefer Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates, Petroleum Base Oil, LVP Hydrocarbon Fluid, and Carbon Dioxide for seasonings. I like lemon pepper myself. Pay attention to the Health Hazard/Route(s) of Entry section on Aspiration Hazard - If swallowed, can enter lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis. Do not induce vomiting. Call physician immediately.

Now that sounds like fun doesn't it?
[signature]
thanks guys for replying it doesnt seem to healthy of a thing to be doing whether or not it is legal. you got to be thinking of the fish the lake and the fish eaters. for those fish eaters out there, including myself, i think we should let the big fish go and keep the little ones. at strawberry, i have caught about 10 cuts over the 22 in. slot, not one of which i have keep. i would like to see catch and release for all cuthroats at the berry. and for us fish eaters we can keep the under 20 in. rainbows. i want to catch more monsters and the only way to do this is to release the fish.

thanks for your posts

jr8fish
[signature]
A friend and I fished Powell several years ago. I caught 10 fish for every 1 he caught. Same boat same line same lures same presentation. I used attractant he didn't... My brother and I fished Alaska. Same everything. I caught 5 to 1 more fish than him. I used scent he didn't...Deer Creek two years ago with a friend. 10 toad perch for me one for him. I have more examples...

Stinky shrimp for catfish, powerbait for trout, anise for Bass, etc.,etc. Find a Bass Pro that doesn't use scents or masking agents. You can find him at the bottom of the money lists.

I always use scent. On everything. Hardbaits, softbaits, night crawlers, minnows. It can't hurt. All I know is that I rarely get skunked, and I generally do better than the average fisherman.

Slayer
[signature]
Sure scent plays a role. There have been days where I couldn't get bit but the person I was with was hooking lots of fish. I always figured my finger must have poked through the toilet paper! [shocked]
[signature]
i use smelly jelly well i have noticed that somtimes it dose not make a fish bite any more than none scented, but then there are times that you don't catch fish unless you use a certain scent. i recomend smelly jelly over any other type or brand of scents they have maney variations of scents. for ice fishing i bought some glow in the dark bait fish smell witch so far has worked great

matt
[signature]
is that baitmate trout stuff in a pump bottle at walmart any good? cant find smelly jelly down in vegas . . i guess ill have to order it, took a nice whiff of x-man's last year when we were out boatin', whoa ill never do that again . .

sm
[signature]
I did some checking and wd40 is not legal to use, and you will be fined if caught using it. remember we all live down stream.
[signature]
Thanks slayerace for bringing this point up. The post started off as just about WD40 and it did need to be said that scents can dramatically improve your fishing experience. I have a number of scents in my tackle box also and use them often. I just don't, and won't carry WD40. I like the more natural scents. Crawfish, Shiner, etc... I don't know how natural Berkley products are, but I use powerbait for trout and Walleye attractant from thier line and I love both of them. I've had slow days turn into productive days from adding scent. I sometimes forget that I have them until I am searching for "todays bait".
[signature]
Guest.

My inlaws are in michigan, and the proclamations out there are crazy! You can only eat so many fish out of this lake, or that lake, per year due to the fish having high content of zinc, or mercury, or some other toxin in them.

I was amazed at the listing of lakes and the ammount of things in the fish in those lakes. I would love to see the same info for utah lakes.

As for the scent topic, its a proven fact that attractants help guys catch fish.

So much so, that nearly all your plastic companies are incorporating scents or flavors into thier products. The idea being the lure is easier to find, plus the fish holds on longer due to the flavor. I use them all the time.
[signature]
Last year a stream was closed or not recommended for eating fish because of pollutants in fish. I don't remember exactly what stream but it went on for some time.

Washington has the same oversized proclamation with all the recommendations for eating so much fish per month.

Scents have their time and place. I rarely use any kind of extra scent on my lures and jigs. I stick to the old fashion way of hard work, mainly working more on my presentation and lure selection. I don't like the mess some of the scents makes or it could be the places I like to fish (artificial).
[signature]
American Fork River had a warning that the trout in the stream had a high content of arsenic.

Slayer
[signature]
Check out Texas on fish in lakes not to eat from . PCBs and mercury .

[url "http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/bfds/ssd/map/default.htm"]http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/bfds/ssd/map/default.htm[/url]
[signature]
Where did you get the glow in the dark? Does Sportsmans have it? And do you have more details on it and how you used it?
[signature]