Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BL ice conditions?
Anyone been to big blue in the last couple of days? Looking for ice conditions, thanks.
[signature]
Fished Wednesday off the road in the south west side. The morning temperature was about 31 degrees, wow . Left about 2:30 temperature was 39 degrees. So the ice was about 5 inches thick,, good solid with top water developing in the afternoon. Each night that water would freeze up.
Some places looked weak , but, where there was no snow the ice was questionable.
Saw some people on the rock pile.
Now the bad news, caught two fish between about nine people. Our fish was a beautiful 3 or 4 lb. Cutthroat. It's still swimming.
A few Cisco in the morning in about 20 feet of water. Slow day, but beautiful sunny day.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, I wonder if it's the lull after the Cisco spawn and all the big fish are stuffed. May be another week until they get hungry again.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Hope to try it tomorrow. Wish it was a little thicker that's scary to go very far out on that lake with only 5" especially where it wasn't the best ice quality last weekend. Thanks again. J
[signature]
Remo, fished the SW side yesterday. Ice was OK, but not great. No fish at sixty or 40 feet. Finally moved into 20 feet to snag Cisco. Ended up with a dozen cisco, couple of big whitefish and CVFISHER landed a small Mac. Pretty slow day. Looked back at the lake from the top while going home. It looked like it looks the middle of March. Might have opened up over at cisco beach. Unless we get a cold snap, this might be a short season. Never heard the ice make a noise all day long. Not a good sign. Wore my speedo in case I went swimming again. Never needed it.

Larry
[signature]
I'll bet that was a cold day Wink Thanks for the update... J
[signature]
Not too bad. 38 degrees when I left. Got a little wind burn in a couple places you usually don't get wind burn. Luckily it was cloudy so sun burn wasn't much of an issue.

Larry
[signature]
I also fished SW corner Wed. As reported the ice was about 4 inches thick. It was cloudy on top and pretty slushy when we left. Parking lot was very muddy and temp was 40 degrees. I personally am not going again unless we get a real good cold snap. The ice was about the minimum that I will venture out on. Looked like some open water N. of cisco beach. As far as fishing goes I only caught one 3 lb. cut. I had one other fish on and one other bite. Very few fish on the finder, The guy I was with did not get a bite.
[signature]
Fished the Utah State Marina and the rock pile Tuesday. Ice was about 4 inches; however, out from the Utah State Marina it was less than 4 inches when we moved out to deeper water. The trail out to the rock pile had one area where the ice was very iffy.
[signature]
How did you do?
[signature]
We came home with three limits of cisco. I believe we all caught a mack (largest around 5 pounds) and a cutt (nothing huge). We all caught several whitefish. I caught a large sucker (will make great bait) and I broke off my 15 pound leader on one hook set.[frown] Not great, but we have had worse days.
[signature]
100 fish day on big blue, pretty dang good[cool]
[signature]
Was planning on heading over tomorrow. Heard the Rockpile was sketchy. How was the ice where you were?
[signature]
I tried for white fish but nothing, did not see any one the sonar. What was the good bait for taking white fish, how did you rig up.
[signature]
I fished drop shot with a small glow ice fly tipped with a wax worm. They are sucking cisco eggs off of the bottom and if your jig is more than about 1/2" off the bottom you won't catch them. They are so tight to the bottom that you probably won't see them on sonar.
[signature]