Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minnows
Is it too early to think if trapping minnows? Now, Where and When to set traps. Need suggestions to try to get bait for coming soft water.
Thanks,
[signature]
[#0000FF]Not too early, if you can find open water. Chubs stay active even under the ice. And they tend to school up in colder water. Even better if you can find a warm spring.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]All of my better chub holes dried up last year. But hope for more water and some potential by late spring this year.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Carp spawn beginning in April and often running into June. By July you should be able to find small schools of them in shallow water in the areas of greatest spawning activity. And by late fall you will find young carp from 2" to 6" in length.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If you want redside shiners, go to Electric Lake in June. They will be all over in the shallows, spawning. You can catch them with traps, cast nets or small jigs and worm.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Seems the current best place for chubs is a drive to Scofield. Go down to the river below the dam. If water flows are right you can catch grundles, but mostly bigger ones. But they can be cut into good bait sized chunks or strips.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The Deer Valley Ponds used to be good for chubs but they are now part of the community fisheries. No cast nets. But the chub population took a big dive there anyway.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There are some streams in San Pete County that have a variety of minnows...from suckers to fathead minnows. I haven't worked them personally but know others who have. Seek and ye shall find...maybe.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I swear TD that you graduated from Fish Univ before you were even 5 years old. Thanks for your generosity of sharing your expertise and info.
[signature]
Thank You very much, I have a lot to learn. Used to be a fly flicker for the last twenty five years and now I am leaning more to be a bait fisherman so I need to find baits that will work.
Again, Thanks.
[signature]
[#0000FF]There are millions of new babies born every year. Virtually all are classified as M or F. Never heard of a "born fisherman". T'weren't me neither. But I did grow up in a large family of serious fisherfolk. And if you believe this picture, I DID start early.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I was about 4 years old and the fish were from Henry's Lake in Idaho. I don't remember it but I was told that I did actually catch them. Don't know who threw them. By the way, my hair is still about the same color...but I have grew some. (gruesome)
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline "TD YOUNG.png"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have made a full circle myself. Learned to fish "cricks" with worms and hoppers for little trout. As I grew older and "more sophisticated" I became a borderline "Orvis Dork"...with a collection of "fairy wands" and all the other trappings. Learned to make my own rods and tie flies too.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Must have been all the salt water fishing I did for a few years that got me using bait again. And I soon learned that it often takes as much skill to fish bait properly as it does most flies and lures...if you want to catch more and bigger fish.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I still have and occasionally use fly fishing gear, but I fish for all species in all waters with all kinds of lures...and bait. And I often tip my lures with bait. I'm anything but a purist but I don't think many other anglers have more fun than I do. And that is what it's all about...not looking down your nose at those who do not fish the same way you do.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The flip side is that I have also learned that many of the fish I pursue with bait will also smack flies...if they are the right size and color...and if you present them in the right place the right way. Best of both worlds.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote lovetofish]I swear TD that you graduated from Fish Univ before you were even 5 years old. Thanks for your generosity of sharing your expertise and info.[/quote]
He certainly is a prodigy. Just beware Professor Tubedude has a quiz coming next for all of us that read his 44 page Minnow Manual [fishon].
[signature]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]"Just beware Professor Tubedude has a quiz coming next for all of us that read his 44 page Minnow Manual"[/size][/font]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]First question: Why are LHBE (left handed blue eyed) minnows better bait?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Second question: Which minnows make the best sushi?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great picture and thanks for sharing!
[signature]
The sushi question is easy. Fresh water fish have too many nasty parasites to risk eating raw. So my answer is the Bluefin Tuna Minnow.
And at least now I can tell apart the June Sucker from the Utah Sucker.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Your sushi order is being prepared. But man, you should see the minnow trap I had to use to catch that one.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[inline Bluefin_chefs1.jpg]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
" Which minnows make the best sushi?"

Whatever you can catch once you've been lost long enough. [Tongue]
[signature]
I didn't even know that minnows could make sushi. I thought it was a bunch of Japanese chefs.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

The smarter minnows can. They’ve spent a lot of time schooling.[Tongue]
[signature]
I c.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.