Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermediate sink line?
Have a leader question when fishing Stillwater’s from a tube with intermediate sink line, do you need a tapered leader? I know when fishing a type III I can use straight leader and when indicator fishing I can do the same. I’ll be getting back into fly fishing next month and already making plans to blow up the old tube and dust of the flies that have set idol for the past five years or so. I’ve already read the 141 pages of this forum and can’t wait to hit up some lakes soon.
[signature]
No need for tapperred if you are tossing streamers since you'll be using a solid 0X-2X leader/tippet. Just run straight tippet or line. No need for tapperred and added nots and stuff.
[signature]
[quote Sharknado]Have a leader question when fishing Stillwater’s from a tube with intermediate sink line, do you need a tapered leader?[/quote]

As has already been said you don't need to use a tapered leader with any of the sinking lines but a tapered leader will give you better casts to extend the fly out. I used to just tie the tippet to the line and since I learned a method using a tapered leader, I like it much better. I buy a 7 1/2' 0X tapered leader to tie to the fly line. I usually cut off a couple of feet of the butt section first. Then I use either a small leader ring or tiny rolling swivel and tie it to the end. Then just tie on two or three feet of whatever weight tippet you want, I usually use 3X for all the subsurface fishing, a lot depends on the size of the fish that could be in the lake/reservoir. Using this method you only replace the tippet when it gets too short and the tapered leader will usually last a full season.

Good to see you getting the fly rod out of retirement.[Wink]

Good luck when you go.
[signature]
Thanks for the replies. Sorry to not post on the fly fishing forum, this modern technology is hard for a old man to get the swing of.
[signature]
Put a 2 to 3 foot butt section of 20 lb mono between your fly line and level leader. It will help it turn over better. I've stopped using tapered leaders on anything except fishing dry flies.
[signature]