Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sacramento perch
Three of us are heading over to Pruess Reservoir to catch some Sacramento bass on Tuesday. In my research I have learned that worms make good bait. Crappie lures and tactics are often mentioned, too. Trouble is that I haven't ever really fished for crappie and don't exactly know what to get. Tubes and twisters were suggested, but I don't know anything more specific. Can anyone help me out?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Here’s my crappie box and a pic of different “plastic” for sizes, different size jig heads for various depths. We typically target them in the spring in shallow water, think bass but with small baits. In the summer post spawn fishing theses under a fixed or sliding bobber has worked also
[signature]
Craig,
For what it's worth, I love to catch crappie on small flies... I usually use a renegade in about size 12 and I typically let it sink if the fish aren't surface feeding, then strip it in slowly... Takes lots of casts, but they love the fly and I end up catching fish most trips... Many are small, but they are still a hoot to set the hook on... I think if you were to work on this technique and use a better fly like a wolly bugger or something like that, you could do even better... I just do this for fun, but I think if you tried you could do real well with this method... Right now the fish are feeding towards the surface so you don't have to sink it deep and the fish will still find it... I know it's not typical crappie gear, but I've found it works better for me... Later J
[signature]
Thanks 2knots. A picture is worth a thousand words. What jig weights are best?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

The ones in the pkg in the pic are 1/32 oz and used the most, but I have them up to 1/8 oz, we are typically fishing in 2-6’ of water for them pre spawn.
[signature]
Thanks, Jeff, good idea. I'll get a couple of each. I'm thinking black and olive for the buggers. What size would you suggest? #10?
[signature]

That sounds like a great place to start. If I didn’t have cats on the brain I ought to try the same thing. Hard for me to pass up my best catting season though. Good luck on your trip. Jeff
[signature]