Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 5 Oct
Casting large spoons, 3 and 4 inches, along with lucky craft flash pointer 115 American Shads, were the ticket today at the berry. The morning was calm. The afternoon had wind as forecasted. Large spoons worked all day in both conditions. Fished the North end, and some areas had large amounts of algae, but it did not stop the fish from hitting. Quit when the two of us boated the 70th fish, two were slot busters. The second slot buster had a seven-inch fish in its mouth. The cutts ignored two-inch spoons and pointer 76 sizes.
Nice report. Thanks for sharing. Did you catch any Rainbows?
[signature]
No bows, even using spoons in areas where we have caught bows on spoons in the past.
Nice fish. I'm wondering just which spoons you were using.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

An Apex 5 of diamonds caught the second slot buster and was the most productive all day. The Apex 7/8 oz trout spoon was surprisingly effective. For almost a decade, we have used Kamloopers at the berry, but yesterday the 3/8 oz size did not produce the desired action. The first slot buster came on a Lucky Craft pointer 115.
Great looking fish!
[signature]
Thanks. I'll have to add those lures to my arsenal. Is the Apex the same as a Dardevle?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Looked up the Pointer and, wow, is it expensive. Makes Rapalas look cheap. If you were only going to buy a couple, what colors would you get?
[signature]

[quote catchinon]

Looked up the Pointer and, wow, is it expensive. Makes Rapalas look cheap.

[/quote]

I remember several years ago, casting a Pointer near the shore at Strawberry (my first cast with it) and it snagged and broke off near the shore. It was floating and so I kept fishing, figuring I could swing by and pick it up after awhile. Well, when I went looking for it I could not find it. I almost shed some tears over that one. I have since almost exclusively switched to tube jigs and with me pouring my own heads I don't even blink when I lose one of them.
[signature]
Nice ones! Let the fall fishing frenzy begin!

TiteLines
[signature]
Apex Tackle is out of Nebraska and Dardevle comes from Eppinger Mfg out of Michigan, I think they are different companies. Lucky Craft is proud of its hardware and price accordingly. Lucky Craft is affordable if you take out a second mortgage! As to which ones to buy, there are many to choose from and a variety of sizes is key, in my opinion, over colors. Maybe the biggest lesson learned from these two slot busters is the fish don’t care how much the lure cost! One was caught on an “expensive” pointer and the other on an “inexpensive” spoon.
We cast white tube jigs tipped with chub meat throughout the summer for cutts with very good success. Like you, I enjoy the cost benefits of this setup. I did have a pointer 115 break off on a fish that afternoon, so there is a fish swimming around with some nice “bling” about a mile east of mud creek!
[quote catchinon]Looked up the Pointer and, wow, is it expensive. Makes Rapalas look cheap. If you were only going to buy a couple, what colors would you get?[/quote]

I think you can catch more fish this time of year using tube jigs than using (lucky craft pointer)
plus there is other stuff that works, and is a lot cheaper. most stuff that you can put a worm on works good.

I have a lot of 100 fish days this time of year.

finding and being on the fish is the number one thing.
[signature]