Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 & 1/2 lb, 19 inch perch
I was reading an article in In-Fisherman and saw a monster perch.
[Image: redfin-perch.jpg]
Then I noticed it was a redfin perch, I thought, don't all perch have red fins this time of the year? As I read more I noticed this was in Spain. Got me thinking, I wonder if we could import some of these fish.  Big Grin
[Image: redfin-perch2.jpg]
If you could put them in Powell and teach them to eat quagga mussels they'd grow to twenty plus pounds!
Maybe catch one of those in the Jordan river a few years after someone dumps their aquarium. lol
(02-28-2021, 11:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I was reading an article in In-Fisherman and saw a monster perch.
Then I noticed it was a redfin perch, I thought, don't all perch have red fins this time of the year? As I read more I noticed this was in Spain. Got me thinking, I wonder if we could import some of these fish.  Big Grin
How about a Nile perch.[Image: Screenshot-20210228-200908-Chrome.jpg]
(02-28-2021, 11:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I was reading an article in In-Fisherman and saw a monster perch.
Then I noticed it was a redfin perch, I thought, don't all perch have red fins this time of the year? As I read more I noticed this was in Spain. Got me thinking, I wonder if we could import some of these fish.  Big Grin  You'd only have to bring home and clean one to make a good meal.
As of May 2016, the official all tackle world record recognized by the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) stands at 2.9 kg (6 lb 6 oz) for a Finnish fish caught September 4, 2010.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
They grow big Walleye in Europe too...only they call them "Zander".  Up to 25 pounds.
[Image: ZANDER.jpg]

And they also grow much bigger pike.  Record 43#
[Image: EUROPEAN-PIKE.jpg]
I saw a article somewhere about the giant perch in Europe, they get so much bigger than ours, be fun to catch some of those.
So why do the European versions of perch, walleye (it's a zander there a walleye cousin) and plain old northern pike get bigger than our version. Record zander was over 25lbs and commercial fisherman have got them into the 30s. There was even a scandal in MN because some restaurants were imported zander and passing the filets off as walleye. The world record pike (caught in West Germany) beats the US record by 10 lbs and the Europeans catch a lot more 40+ lb pike than North American anglers. It's not even close. Just something I have always wondered about. They even have bigger catfish. We have nothing that can compare weight wise with a wels catfish.

And I forgot to mention brown trout
The European pike and the pike in the US are the same species...Esox Lucius.  They are probably bigger because of a longer period of evolution in more food rich waters with less competition.

On the other hand, the yellow perch of the US and the "redfin" perch of Europe are greatly different species.  HERE IS A LINK  to a web article on the subject.  Interesting.

Not sure if us poor old Utah perch jerkers could handle those bad boys from the east.  But I'd like to try.
N Dakota has one lake with zander but they haven't reached European size.
(03-02-2021, 03:11 AM)stan55 Wrote: N Dakota has one lake with zander but they haven't reached European size.
And, they wont as word gets out. I do find myself leaving this state more often for the opportunity to fish and hunt. I'm looking into putting in for another shot at some big game, but wont hold my breath. It seems like there are more and more years in between drawing just a general tag. Last year the general bull elk thing was an absolute joke and utter failure. The second year in my 30 years of hunting that I haven't been able to get a tag.
Some places are still amazing to fish and hunt in this state, but it's only a matter of time until the masses are aware. Maybe I'll try and jump some cheap tickets across the pond during the next pandemic.
I'm just happy that here in the USA our wildlife belongs to the public, vs. whomever owns the land the wildlife is found on. What a wonderful thing it is to be able to enjoy any number of fishing opportunities all across this great nation!

Of course, if you want, you can always go to Europe where your opportunities are far more strict and limited. Maybe that's the reason for the supposed bigger fish?

I wonder if those Europeans cruise the internet looking at fish in the States and say the same thing? "wow! did you see that picture of the big brook trout from Utah? I sure wish we could grow those here in Norway. Maybe we should import some?".

"Look at this exotic species called a colorado river cutthroat. What a beauty! Why can't we get those here in the Netherlands?".

The grass is always greener....
There are a few great Youtube videos of British fishermen heading over to Spain, the Netherlands, etc. to catch these big European perch.  They fish for them almost more like bass.  Pretty cool.
There are also lots of videos of British anglers pursuing the revered "CARP". France has some of the biggest carp in Europe and the Brits take great pride in catching a 40, 50 lber, snapping a picture and releasing it. Far different here !!!
Fly fishing for carp in the US is getting to be a very popular thing. There are carp tournaments in the Midwest than follow UK rules. Generally takes a 30 lber to have a chance. I've fished for carp with some of those guys. A whole different set of tackle and gear and tactics. The biggest carp I landed was a 16 lb fish and they kind of looked it as we would a planter rainbow. Fishing is more expensive in Europe and most of the waters are private. Europe also has a dedicated group that tournament fish with super light rods for basically minnows. Can't wrap my head around that.