Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tough day at Echo
Wiperslayer and I got up to Echo yesterday, arriving a little after 8am. Briefly talked to Dubob before heading to a new location by the dam. We have been fishing off the ramp the last few weeks but decided to try a new location. That did not turn out to be a good move. We drove along the beach almost as far as we could before you hit the rocks, there was already one truck there, so we fished down from them. The first thing we noticed was that the water level had come up since last week, about 4 ft, so the ice was thinner about 4 or 5 ft out but still fine to walk out on. We set up in 23 to 37 FOW, we both got a few bites but no fish. JJannie came out and started fishing with us but they were not having any luck either. Finally Ira and I started punching hole, we went deeper and then to as shallow as 10" but nothing looked good, so we packed up and headed over to where we have been fishing the last two weeks. We got there and got set up arond 11am nothing for an hour then at noon the switch turned on and we started getting fish coming in. Ira started catching fish, he got two trout and three perch before I finally started getting in on the action. Dubob had been moving around and finally he came over closer to us before he ended the day. He had done better than us but not as good as his previous trip out there. Sounds like it's time to give another lake a go, now that things are finally freesing up better. Pretty nice day out with low wind until around noon.
Nothing much to add to Curt's report.  We fished 4 locations and only found one that produced any numbers of perch and they were all below 7" in length.  The serch continues.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-13-2022, 02:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wiperslayer and I got up to Echo yesterday, arriving a little after 8am. Briefly talked to Dubob before heading to a new location by the dam. We have been fishing off the ramp the last few weeks but decided to try a new location. That did not turn out to be a good move. We drove along the beach almost as far as we could before you hit the rocks, there was already one truck there, so we fished down from them. The first thing we noticed was that the water level had come up since last week, about 4 ft, so the ice was thinner about 4 or 5 ft out but still fine to walk out on. We set up in 23 to 37 FOW, we both got a few bites but no fish. JJannie came out and started fishing with us but they were not having any luck either. Finally Ira and I started punching hole, we went deeper and then to as shallow as 10" but nothing looked good, so we packed up and headed over to where we have been fishing the last two weeks. We got there and got set up arond 11am nothing for an hour then at noon the switch turned on and we started getting fish coming in. Ira started catching fish, he got two trout and three perch before I finally started getting in on the action. Dubob had been moving around and finally he came over closer to us before he ended the day. He had done better than us but not as good as his previous trip out there. Sounds like it's time to give another lake a go, now that things are finally freesing up better. Pretty nice day out with low wind until around noon.

Great report for a hard day.  It's hard to figure why one day it's good and the next day it changes. 
I would have liked to follow along. But planed to hit jordanelle,  but that didn't happen,  my wife has tested positive for the world plague so I'm not going to share it with you'll.   
I saw on jordanelle cameras someone was walking on the ice just off the main boat launch.  Hope that gets frozen. Also saw the DNR police checking licenses at jordanelle.
Yep, we were there. Our main goal was to make our first voyage of the season, check out all our gear and shake off any cobwebs that accumulated since we were last on the ice.... Good plan.... We did pretty well, we checked all the boxes, setting up went well, equipment all worked well - too bad the fish didn't get the memo. No worries, no fish to be cleaned once we got home. We didn't move around trying to find fish - we just relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful day. 

Hopefully our next trip out we'll come home with some fish, we found a recipe we really like to make another pot of it....
(01-13-2022, 02:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wiperslayer and I got up to Echo yesterday, arriving a little after 8am. Briefly talked to Dubob before heading to a new location by the dam. We have been fishing off the ramp the last few weeks but decided to try a new location. That did not turn out to be a good move. We drove along the beach almost as far as we could before you hit the rocks, there was already one truck there, so we fished down from them. The first thing we noticed was that the water level had come up since last week, about 4 ft, so the ice was thinner about 4 or 5 ft out but still fine to walk out on. We set up in 23 to 37 FOW, we both got a few bites but no fish. JJannie came out and started fishing with us but they were not having any luck either. Finally Ira and I started punching hole, we went deeper and then to as shallow as 10" but nothing looked good, so we packed up and headed over to where we have been fishing the last two weeks. We got there and got set up arond 11am nothing for an hour then at noon the switch turned on and we started getting fish coming in. Ira started catching fish, he got two trout and three perch before I finally started getting in on the action. Dubob had been moving around and finally he came over closer to us before he ended the day. He had done better than us but not as good as his previous trip out there. Sounds like it's time to give another lake a go, now that things are finally freesing up better. Pretty nice day out with low wind until around noon.

Thanks for the report Wiper.  How thick was the ice by the boat ramp?
(01-13-2022, 11:15 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:

About 9", by the way, welcome to the site.
(01-13-2022, 11:20 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Thank you! I appreciate it!
(01-13-2022, 11:22 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:

No problem, the week before it was only 5", so it really got thicker.
(01-13-2022, 10:28 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Great report for a hard day.  It's hard to figure why one day it's good and the next day it changes. 
I would have liked to follow along. But planed to hit jordanelle,  but that didn't happen,  my wife has tested positive for the world plague so I'm not going to share it with you'll.   
I saw on jordanelle cameras someone was walking on the ice just off the main boat launch.  Hope that gets frozen. Also saw the DNR police checking licenses at jordanelle.

I think we would have done much better if we had gone to our second location first but that's fishing, you never know if you don't try. Sorry to hear about your wife's positive test, hope you both fair well.
(01-13-2022, 11:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I am thinking of going up to Echo maybe Sunday.  I've only ever fished there one time through the ice and it wasn't great.  We did catch a few perch, but they were really small.  My son-in-law is new to ice fishing and he wants to try it up there.  Any suggestions from anyone on where to go and what to use?
(01-14-2022, 04:40 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 11:15 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: Thanks for the report Wiper.  How thick was the ice by the boat ramp?

I am thinking of going up to Echo maybe Sunday.  I've only ever fished there one time through the ice and it wasn't great.  We did catch a few perch, but they were really small.  My son-in-law is new to ice fishing and he wants to try it up there.  Any suggestions from anyone on where to go and what to use?

You can catch fish just about everywhere but having a decent fish finder really helps, no use setting up where there isn't fish. If you are after perch, you need to look for them hugging the bottom, of course the trout will be suspended. If you are not familiar with echo that is what I'd suggest. That being said, we caught them just off the boat ramp in 25 to 30 FOW. We were using TubeDude's Flutter spoons but also caught them on a Johnson snare spoon in either black and silver or blue and silver. I started off using a meal worm until we caught the first perch but then used pearch flesh after that, Ira was using chub meat.
(01-14-2022, 06:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 11:20 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: About 9", by the way, welcome to the site.

You can catch fish just about everywhere but having a decent fish finder really helps, no use setting up where there isn't fish. If you are after perch, you need to look for them hugging the bottom, of course the trout will be suspended. If you are not familiar with echo that is what I'd suggest. That being said, we caught them just off the boat ramp in 25 to 30 FOW. We were using TubeDude's Flutter spoons but also caught them on a Johnson snare spoon in either black and silver or blue and silver. I started off using a meal worm until we caught the first perch but then used pearch flesh after that, Ira was using chub meat.

Thanks for the info Wiper!  I appreciate it!  Hopefully my son-in-law catches some so that he will enjoy ice fishing more!  Hate to have him not catch anything and then not like it.
(01-14-2022, 06:34 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 11:22 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: Thank you! I appreciate it!

Thanks for the info Wiper!  I appreciate it!  Hopefully my son-in-law catches some so that he will enjoy ice fishing more!  Hate to have him not catch anything and then not like it.

No problem, just remember that after an hour or so of no catching, moving can be your best option.
(01-14-2022, 06:41 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 06:34 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 11:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: No problem, the week before it was only 5", so it really got thicker.

No problem, just remember that after an hour or so of no catching, moving can be your best option.

Well, we tried Echo yesterday.  First ones on the ice, and fished until about noon.  Moved 4 different times and didn't get anything.  Had a couple small nibbles but that was it, and didn't really see much on my Helix 7.  Oh well, it was still good to get out and enjoy trying.  That's why they call it fishing and not catching.
(01-17-2022, 03:22 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: Well, we tried Echo yesterday.  First ones on the ice, and fished until about noon.  Moved 4 different times and didn't get anything.  Had a couple small nibbles but that was it, and didn't really see much on my Helix 7.  Oh well, it was still good to get out and enjoy trying.  That's why they call it fishing and not catching.

Sorry to hear that, Echo has been pounded with people fishing it, so it does not surprise me that the catching has slowed. Were there a lot of people there yesterday? We fish it mainly during the week, after the crowds have calmed down and that could be the difference too. Some times those small nibbles can turn into the fish that will come back and get more aggressive, especially if you have something that catches their attention, did you try anything with glow on it?
(01-17-2022, 05:20 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 03:22 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote: Well, we tried Echo yesterday.  First ones on the ice, and fished until about noon.  Moved 4 different times and didn't get anything.  Had a couple small nibbles but that was it, and didn't really see much on my Helix 7.  Oh well, it was still good to get out and enjoy trying.  That's why they call it fishing and not catching.

Sorry to hear that, Echo has been pounded with people fishing it, so it does not surprise me that the catching has slowed. Were there a lot of people there yesterday? We fish it mainly during the week, after the crowds have calmed down and that could be the difference too. Some times those small nibbles can turn into the fish that will come back and get more aggressive, especially if you have something that catches their attention, did you try anything with glow on it?

Yes, there were a lot of people there yesterday, with more arriving as we were pulling out.  We walked straight out from the boat ramp, and then moved 3 other times trying to find fish.  I tried about a dozen different jigs including 2 flutter spoons and several glow tungsten jigs.  All in all it was a good time; I just want my son in law to be able to really get into some fish so that he will enjoy it.  He is not sold on it yet, since he has now gone 5 different times and only caught 1 fish.  He caught that one last year up to Mantua.  We will keep trying....
(01-17-2022, 08:45 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 05:20 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Yes, there were a lot of people there yesterday, with more arriving as we were pulling out.  We walked straight out from the boat ramp, and then moved 3 other times trying to find fish.  I tried about a dozen different jigs including 2 flutter spoons and several glow tungsten jigs.  All in all it was a good time; I just want my son in law to be able to really get into some fish so that he will enjoy it.  He is not sold on it yet, since he has now gone 5 different times and only caught 1 fish.  He caught that one last year up to Mantua.  We will keep trying....
From most reports, Utah lake has been fishing pretty good this year, lots of white bass being caught along with crappie and perch. I guess it has a lot to do with the day you get on any lake, hopefully you will find a more productive area to try, so your son in law will feel better about getting out there.