Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another KNOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OafzD5XjPGc
Interesting. I also have broken off too many times when I have set the hook (likely, the hookset was harder than it should have been.). I'm going to try the double pitzen knot and see if it helps.
Has anyone used this knot on braid or fluorocarbon?
I will be trying this one out.
Looks sort of difficult to tie compared to the Palomar, but I guess if you need a strong knot might be a good one... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Interesting.  But if your line is breaking above the knot...on the hookset...the problem is with the line and not the knot.  Or the "loose nut" on the reel handle.  And in his early demos the line almost always broke above the knot.  The problem there is that if you use a sliding knot...and don't "lube" it with a little saliva...there will be line damaging heat if you jerk the knot tight.  Not much, but enough to slightly weaken the line at that point.

I use a lot of different lines...in different sizes.  I use mono/cofilament in 4# to 14#...for main line or leaders.  Many of my reels are spooled with Nanofil...from 6# to 15#.  I use mostly improved clinch knots or my own "triple slipper" knot for attaching mono to hooks or lures.  For knotting swivels or split rings to Nanofil I use the same knots...EXCEPT...I run the line through the eye of the swivel or lure TWICE before tieing the knot.  That usually eliminates slippage on braids and fusion lines and increases the strength of the knot dramatically.  And it ain't a bad idea for knotting heavy lures to mono or fluoro either.

When I have fresh line on the reel...without nicks or abrasions...I have NEVER broken off a fish on the hook set.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a fish actually break my line.  A big part of that is balancing the power of the rod to the line being used and having a drag properly set...and then using the flex of the rod to absorb a lot of the pressure.

I used to fish competitive bass fishing...and often watch tournaments on TV.  I know that is a totally different game than most recreational anglers are used to.  Pro bass anglers do not fish for sport...but money.  When they get bit their goal is to haul the fish into the boat before it gets in more than a couple of tail beats.  A lot of serious bassers use medium heavy to heavy rods and heavy braid as a main line.  That gear could jerk a railroad car off the tracks.  But when the line (or leader) is mono or fluoro...of lower strength...it might fail on a hard hookset...with no stretch or cushion to reduce the sudden force.  And a bad knot is more likely to fail too.

In short, if you balance your rod power with the strength of your line...and tie almost any good knot on good line...you shouldn't be breaking fish off on the strike...or at any time during the unsuing battle.
I was thinking I hadn't had very many issues with this kind of failures since I went to the Palomar knot and when I have it's usually because I haven't retied my knot for months and I think the line finally just wears out.. Lately it's been the snags that have been taking all my lures and it's been very difficult to break the line in fact my hook bent on one such retrieval attempt so I'm thinking the Palomar is a pretty good knot for me.. I'll probably try the new one though just to see if I can tie it... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I too have used a Palomar for at least 50 years now. The Palomar and Improved Clinch were my go-to knots for tying mono/flour lines to jigs. I typically tie the Palomar for everything except large jigs. Two weeks ago used an Improved Clinch to tie on a very large jig.....and wouldn't you know, I broke the 15lb mono at the knot while fighting a nice fish on Bear Lake. I should have known better and used the Palomar. However, I had a fairly short piece of mono leader and I felt the Palomar would have used up most of that leader material and opted for the Improved Clinch. NEVER AGAIN. (I've said that before unfortunately). I'll have to try this new knot out and see if I like it.

Tubedude, can you please post a video or something of the sorts of your knot? You showed me how to tie it, but I forgot. Thanks!
(02-27-2023, 09:05 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Tubedude, can you please post a video or something of the sorts of your knot?  You showed me how to tie it, but I forgot.  Thanks!
Didn't know if you remembered.  But I tied one up for you and it held up pretty well.  I did make a short pictorial PDF writeup. 

It only takes a little practice until you can tie it in low light or even by feel.  The main thing to practice is being able to make three loops and hold them between fingertip and thumb...and then run the line up through and pull it tight.  And anytime I am fishing a heavier lure I always run the line through the eye twice before tieing the knot.  Again, have never lost a fish to a broken line or knot.  And I HAVE caught my share of large fish in both fresh and salt water.

Attached Files
.pdf   TRIPLE SLIPPER.pdf (Size: 162.04 KB / Downloads: 25)
I mean. There have been better tests than this.

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fishing-knots/

https://www.knotsforfishing.com/knot-strength-chart/

The Sam Diego Jam and the Palomar knot are both above the breaking strength of the line.

Which means if tied correctly, there is another reason why you would be breaking off than the knot strength.
Palomar and improved clinch is all I generally use. Improved clinch on swivels and palomar on the hook. A few years back at the berry, I had three trout break off all in a row. I took the 8lb test in each hand and gave it a tug and it snapped. So I pulled off 20’ more and pulled it again and that snapped. I’m not sure if it was just a defected spool or That particular spool of line had sat in my very hot and cold garage for two seasons before I put it to use. But I re spooled it with a back up spool of 6lb stren and had no further issues