Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birthday on the Bay 5/31
I spent my 50th birthday fishing Willard and it did not disappoint.I got my lines in around 6:30 near the light pole. There was a solid Walleye chop, I put out a couple bottom bouncers and almost immediately got into the walleye, I had my limit in the box by 8am. What worked for me was trolling back and forth across the wind going 2.5mph and when I would turn up into the wind the inside bouncer would make contact with the bottom and I would hook up. At 8 I decided to target wipers so I switch to cranks and spread up to 3 3 mph but did not catch any wiper just more Walleyes that zi released several larger than one I had in my box and 3 perch that went home with me.
[Image: IMG-1057.jpg]
(06-03-2023, 05:07 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I spent my 50th birthday fishing Willard and it did not disappoint.I got my lines in around 6:30 near the light pole. There was a solid Walleye chop, I put out a couple bottom bouncers and almost immediately got into the walleye, I had my limit in the box by 8am. What worked for me was trolling back and forth across the wind going 2.5mph and when I would turn up into the wind the inside bouncer would make contact with the bottom and I would hook up. At 8 I decided to target wipers so I switch to cranks and spread up to 3 3 mph but did not catch any wiper just more Walleyes that zi released several larger than one I had in my box and 3 perch that went home with me.

Great report Shawn, wow, a limit in an hour and a half, you da man, haven't heard of anyone doing that well this year. What color lure or blade were you having your best success with? Sounds like a happy birthday outing to me,
(06-03-2023, 05:28 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-03-2023, 05:07 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I spent my 50th birthday fishing Willard and it did not disappoint.I got my lines in around 6:30 near the light pole. There was a solid Walleye chop, I put out a couple bottom bouncers and almost immediately got into the walleye, I had my limit in the box by 8am. What worked for me was trolling back and forth across the wind going 2.5mph and when I would turn up into the wind the inside bouncer would make contact with the bottom and I would hook up. At 8 I decided to target wipers so I switch to cranks and spread up to 3 3 mph but did not catch any wiper just more Walleyes that zi released several larger than one I had in my box and 3 perch that went home with me.

Great report Shawn, wow, a limit in an hour and a half, you da man, haven't heard of anyone doing that well this year. What color lure or blade were you having your best success with?

I caught 5 of the 6 I kept on a purple and white worm harness that had a rattle I don’t recall the brand. after I got off the lake I went to Anglers Den and bought another one in fire tiger and it was the top producer the next two days but the purple and white kept working until I broke it off yesterday, I was setting it back and it got slammed hard and after of a few moments it broke off at the swivel. I was bummed to lose it, but I replaced it with a blue tiger Lindy brand worm harness that caught all three of our Wipers Friday. I didn’t mention it in my report, I am using 2oz. Bottom bouncers set 100-150’.
(06-03-2023, 05:39 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

Great report Shawn, wow, a limit in an hour and a half, you da man, haven't heard of anyone doing that well this year. What color lure or blade were you having your best success with?

I caught 5 of the 6 I kept on a purple and white worm harness that had a rattle I don’t recall the brand. after I got off the lake I went to Anglers Den and bought another one in fire tiger and it was the top producer the next two days but the purple and white kept working until I broke it off yesterday, I was setting it back and it got slammed hard and after of a few moments it broke off at the swivel. I was bummed to lose it, but I replaced it with a blue tiger Lindy brand worm harness that caught all three of our Wipers Friday. I didn’t mention it in my report, I am using 2oz. Bottom bouncers set 100-150’.

I was just going to ask you about the weight of your bouncer and setbacks, thanks for adding that info. Can you post a pic of the warm harness that has the rattle? Can't say I've ever heard of a worm harness with a rattle.
(06-03-2023, 06:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-03-2023, 05:39 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

I was just going to ask you about the weight of your bouncer and setbacks, thanks for adding that info. Can you post a pic of the warm harness that has the rattle? Can't say I've ever heard of a worm harness with a rattle.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/acme-rat...lsrc=aw.ds
Thanks Shawn