Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo 6/27
Was eager to finally get back to Echo. The rebuild is extensive, starting with a new entrance. Sadly, there are neither a boat pre-launch prep lane nor a fish cleaning station. But there are a bazillion parking places. 

The lake is FULL! Right up to the top of the ramp and well up into the trees. There is one small dock, in the middle of the two ramps. Not much room if more than two boats are launching/loading. When loading, your trailer disappears as it starts down the ramp but your tow vehicle is still level. 

Water is pretty clear (65 degrees) and the shores are packed with debris everywhere. There are also a lot of small limbs sunken to the bottom all along the shore to 50 feet out or so. I hooked any number of them, reeled them in and released them. Sadly, I also lost two really good fish thinking that weight was another limb and did not set the hook. Both felt like walleye. I caught fish that weren't limbs and limbs that weren't fish. Did land my share of "footers" smallmouth. Ned rig was the ticket today, as usual with smallies.
(06-27-2023, 07:43 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Was eager to finally get back to Echo. The rebuild is extensive, starting with a new entrance. Sadly, there are neither a boat pre-launch prep lane nor a fish cleaning station. But there are a bazillion parking places. 

The lake is FULL! Right up to the top of the ramp and well up into the trees. There is one small dock, in the middle of the two ramps. Not much room if more than two boats are launching/loading. When loading, your trailer disappears as it starts down the ramp but your tow vehicle is still level. 

Water is pretty clear (65 degrees) and the shores are packed with debris everywhere. There are also a lot of small limbs sunken to the bottom all along the shore to 50 feet out or so. I hooked any number of them, reeled them in and released them. Sadly, I also lost two really good fish thinking that weight was another limb and did not set the hook. Both felt like walleye. I caught fish that weren't limbs and limbs that weren't fish. Did land my share of "footers" smallmouth. Ned rig was the ticket today, as usual with smallies.
Yep those sticks fight pretty hard sometimes one positive you don't lose a ton of tackle.

(06-27-2023, 07:43 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Was eager to finally get back to Echo. The rebuild is extensive, starting with a new entrance. Sadly, there are neither a boat pre-launch prep lane nor a fish cleaning station. But there are a bazillion parking places. 

Yep those sticks fight pretty hard sometimes one positive you don't lose a ton of tackle.

I have a feeling those walleye are hiding under those piles of wood along the shorelines. It makes it a bit difficult to catch them under all those branches. The water temps staying cool seem to be keeping the walleye relatively shallow. When it warms in the shallows more, I feel they will move to a bit deeper locations. 
Gabe