Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What a day! - Utah Lake 8/15/24
We were concerned that the bite might be off, at Utah Lake, as a result of the recent storms.  That proved to absolutely not to be the case.  We arrived at the ramp while it was still dark.  We were surprised to not see any white bass jumping.  They finally woke up when it started to get some light in the sky.  We caught white bass from about 3" long to over 13-14" long.  After getting plenty for bait, and a few more, we headed out to begin strolling for catfish.  It only took a short time for me to hook my PB and the big one of the day, at 32 3/4". We had steady action (at one time we even had 3 hooked at the same time) until we left at 12:30. We caught at least 5 that were 29" or better and most were just an inch or two smaller.  I have never had a day even approaching the quality of catfish that we caught today.  Another fun outing with Don and Craig and thanks for inviting me along.

[Image: 32-three-fourth-catfish.jpg]

[Image: kitty.jpg]
That is a great looking cat.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Great fish, Kent. Congrats to ya'll
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
The day worked out good from start to early finish. 
The plan was catch some big cats to get Kent a score for cat contest.

Fist light launch boat
catch enough young of year white bass for bait - a hit one dang near every cast
Don drive boat
Start strolling
Kent out first while Craig filets the bait
Craig poles out
Kents rear pole BENDO the fight is on. In the net measures 32.75+
Kent your gonna need a bigger measure board
Kents poles were getting hit 5 to 1 or better than Craigs just a boats width apart
Fish average was phenomenal.
Kent posted his 3 best to contest
Went from tied for last to tied for second place
Off the lake at 1230 to get Craig to an appointment
Plan completed
"Kent your gonna need a bigger measure board"

36" Frabill Bump Board has been ordered.  Hopefully, it isn't long enough.
14” Whities in UL are few and far between.
You were very lucky to get in to some of those!
(08-26-2024, 12:04 AM)MrShane Wrote: 14” Whities in UL are few and far between.

Maybe it is just my imagination, but it seems the quality of the white bass has improved in the last couple years.  This time of year, it is challenging to get through all of the young-of-the-current-year white bass to catch any larger ones.  Although, when fishing for bait, I prefer to catch smaller ones.
(08-26-2024, 12:12 AM)Kent Wrote:
(08-26-2024, 12:04 AM)MrShane Wrote: 14” Whities in UL are few and far between.

Maybe it is just my imagination, but it seems the quality of the white bass has improved in the last couple years.  This time of year, it is challenging to get through all of the young-of-the-current-year white bass to catch any larger ones.  Although, when fishing for bait, I prefer to catch smaller ones.
I agree that the whites are larger and healthier the last few years. The high water has lead to good recruitment of YOY whites (and the other littles they like to eat) and they are growing. I thought 14's would show up this year based on what I'd seen the last 2 summers, but their short lifespan does limit the chances. 

I'll be trying to find a 14 for the next month or so, but it is hard to give up a cat rod when they have grown the past few years as well.