Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon Bassin
I arrived around 6:40 am to a cool 39 degrees with a stiff breeze blowing from south to north. Decided to do something different and fished for bass. Started on the west side and just slowly worked my way south casting up against the shore.  I started casting a rebel craw and cranking it steadily back. 1st fish was just a few casts into the morning before the sun hit the water. It turned out to be my best of the morning, a nice 15" smallie. I caught a couple more small ones then tied into another similar to the 1st.  But it spit it right next to the boat, along with several small crawdads that he had burped up. By now the sun was on the water and fishing slowed. I switched over to a lighter colored flicker shad and picked up a few dinks. I then switched over to a darker flicker with an orange belly and it was game on. Nothing huge, but several in the 10" range and lots of dink smallies. I don't know how some of those small ones could get all three treble hooks in their tiny mouth on a lure that is almost as big as they are, but they did. At one point I caught fish on 5 consecutive casts. They were dinky for the most part, but it was fun. It warmed up quickly when the sun came out 

I did troll a bit looking for some trout, but didn't mark much and had no hits.

It wasn't too busy by the time I left, but there were a couple of wakeboard boats that caused some serious waves. 

I didn't even think about looking at water temp, but it was 73 degrees at just after noon when I got off the lake.
[Image: 20240831-144400.jpg]
I had about the same luck a couple of weeks ago. One really nice bass but the rest were all dinks. I fished the same area too, the west bank drifting with the wind. I did the best using a crawdad imitation tipped with a worm.
The bass i caught there a few days back were chucked full of small mud bugs too. Sticking half out at times. They can sure get greedy
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
How long was the ramp walk? These days, that's my limiting factor.
Not too bad, about 50 yards, BUT the courtesy ramp is off the side of the ramp and you have to walk up/down the dirt to get to it.
Thanks! Think I'll go there this week.
(08-31-2024, 09:40 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I arrived around 6:40 am to a cool 39 degrees with a stiff breeze blowing from south to north. Decided to do something different and fished for bass. Started on the west side and just slowly worked my way south casting up against the shore.  I started casting a rebel craw and cranking it steadily back. 1st fish was just a few casts into the morning before the sun hit the water. It turned out to be my best of the morning, a nice 15" smallie. I caught a couple more small ones then tied into another similar to the 1st.  But it spit it right next to the boat, along with several small crawdads that he had burped up. By now the sun was on the water and fishing slowed. I switched over to a lighter colored flicker shad and picked up a few dinks. I then switched over to a darker flicker with an orange belly and it was game on. Nothing huge, but several in the 10" range and lots of dink smallies. I don't know how some of those small ones could get all three treble hooks in their tiny mouth on a lure that is almost as big as they are, but they did. At one point I caught fish on 5 consecutive casts. They were dinky for the most part, but it was fun. It warmed up quickly when the sun came out 

It wasn't too busy by the time I left, but there were a couple of wakeboard boats that caused some serious waves. 

I didn't even think about looking at water temp, but it was 73 degrees at just after noon when I got off the lake.

Nice SM bass. Pretty crazy how the fishing has changed over they years at EC. Some years ago it was pretty steady for smaller bows, that changed a few years back and we started catching fewer bows but they were larger. This year I'm seeing very few reports of anyone catching bows. Hopefully that will change as the water temps drops but considering the numbers of other game fish in EC, you would think someone would be catching the kokes, wipers and crappie that are in that lake.
(09-01-2024, 07:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-31-2024, 09:40 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I arrived around 6:40 am to a cool 39 degrees with a stiff breeze blowing from south to north. Decided to do something different and fished for bass. Started on the west side and just slowly worked my way south casting up against the shore.  I started casting a rebel craw and cranking it steadily back. 1st fish was just a few casts into the morning before the sun hit the water. It turned out to be my best of the morning, a nice 15" smallie. I caught a couple more small ones then tied into another similar to the 1st.  But it spit it right next to the boat, along with several small crawdads that he had burped up. By now the sun was on the water and fishing slowed. I switched over to a lighter colored flicker shad and picked up a few dinks. I then switched over to a darker flicker with an orange belly and it was game on. Nothing huge, but several in the 10" range and lots of dink smallies. I don't know how some of those small ones could get all three treble hooks in their tiny mouth on a lure that is almost as big as they are, but they did. At one point I caught fish on 5 consecutive casts. They were dinky for the most part, but it was fun. It warmed up quickly when the sun came out 

Nice SM bass. Pretty crazy how the fishing has changed over they years at EC. Some years ago it was pretty steady for smaller bows, that changed a few years back and we started catching fewer bows but they were larger. This year I'm seeing very few reports of anyone catching bows. Hopefully that will change as the water temps drops but considering the numbers of other game fish in EC, you would think someone would be catching the kokes, wipers and crappie that are in that lake.

I saw several boats trolling for trout or kokanee, I couldn't tell which. But only saw one small trout caught. I just didn't see hardly any marks at all. I have generally done better in late September and early October when the water has cooled for the bigger bows. Early in the year for the smaller bows. I would assume the wipers would be keying on crawdads too, but where they are is a mystery to me.
I saw a ball of suspended fish from my kayak a few years ago that I assumed were crappie, but had only bass gear with me at the time.
(09-01-2024, 09:00 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(09-01-2024, 07:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I saw several boats trolling for trout or kokanee, I couldn't tell which. But only saw one small trout caught. I just didn't see hardly any marks at all. I have generally done better in late September and early October when the water has cooled for the bigger bows. Early in the year for the smaller bows. I would assume the wipers would be keying on crawdads too, but where they are is a mystery to me.
I know what you mean, both the wipers and kokes seem to have disappeared. I heard a little about them for a couple of years but nothing since. In most lakes they do gill netting, if they do it at EC, maybe one of the DWR folks could tell me if they are getting any Undecided