Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sun, moon and stars all aligned up
Randy, Kory and I made another sturgeon trip.  The wind forecast was favorable for two consecutive days, so we decided to do a two-day trip. Started off Ok until we decided to move a little further out into the river, only to find that I had gone upriver a little too far and the anchor was hung up in the rocks.  After trying every trick that we knew I handed Kory the filet knife and he cut the anchor rope.  That resulted in a change of plans, because it is not possible to fish in a river without a decent anchor of some sort.  Fired up the Minn Kota but I knew the batteries wouldn't last for two days.  Thankfully, it got us through day one and amazingly, someone had put an old rusty anchor on the end of the dock (in all of my years of fishing I have never had anyone leave an anchor on a dock for someone to use).  We grabbed the anchor and dropped the new-found anchor down into the rocky bottom (knowing that we would never be able to get it back, but it would hold us for a day).  We tied a rope to a rock on shore and tied the anchor line to the other end of the boat and went fishing.  

As far as fishing went, it couldn't have been much better.  It was extremely rare that we ever went 5 minutes without someone getting a bite (not common when sturgeon fishing).  We landed 98 sturgeons (a new two-day record) with the largest only going ~6 1/2', so no huge ones this trip.  We probably lost almost as many as we landed.  Where we fish there are a lot of rocks, and many get off when they get in the rocks [impossible to keep a tight line (and using barbless hooks) when a sturgeon gets into the rocks].

Great time with Randy and Kory and sore arms today.
Wow, and I thought 50 catfish in a day left you with sore arms! Not that 50 happens very often. Sounds like you guys had a really great trip!

Congrats on a new two day record! I had no idea there were that may sturgeon in there. Reading your earlier reports I assumed you knew each one by name Wink

Thanks for the amazing report!
Must be all of that clean living.

Glad things worked out for a stellar trip.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Wow. What else can i say
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew