Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question, where is a good place to catch a mess of perch?
Where would a good place be to catch a mess of perch, and what would I use? Second question, do you have to register a plain row boat without a motor on it? Thanks,
[signature]
The answer to your first question is Jordanelle using any small jig tipped with a crawler. To the second question, no motor equals no need to register.
[signature]
Thanks, That is good news.
[signature]
A small piece (about 1/2" long is plenty long) of nightcrawler on a small hook fished near the bottom at Jordanelle should provide you with non-stop perch catching. Tincanfsh and I caught well over 75 of them (kept about 35 of them for catfish bait at Utah Lake) in about 1 1/2 hours there a week ago Saturday. At the time, we were tied up to the personal water craft dock waiting out the storm. The water was shallow enough that we could see schools of them around our bait.
[signature]
Looks like I will have to make a trip out to Jordanelle, Limit 40 or 50 there? I am looking to can them, if I catch some. The last thing I caught was a stick out at South fork. Didn't can too well.[Wink]
[signature]
Limit 50, and please take a limit home.
[signature]
If you are in for a vacation, you can catch pretty much all you want (I think the limit is 80) at Fish Lake. Just fish right at the weedline, right off the top and you should catch one just about every cast.

I think Johnson Valley, just up the road from Fish Lake, is full of them, too.
[signature]
Hey Kent,

I didn't know you could fish with gamefish for bait at utah lake??!! Where else can you do that? I thought at most lakes in the state, all you could use was non-gamefish (i.e. carp, chubs, etc.).
[signature]
At Jordenelle the perch were illegally planted and in some eyes a threat to the fishery. So please encourage everyone to take home a limit or atleast help control the population. Once while fishing the Nelle, a Fish'N Game came up to us on a long Skiff boat and asked how we were doing, asked if we were catching and or keeping the Perch. I replied "no". He then asked us to toss them on the bank and let the brids have them. I enjoy Perch but they aren't meant for every lake, and definately have thier place in the fishing system.

Godd Luck.

Topehaw
addicted2fish: perch limit at Fish Lake is only 50

Out4Trout: it is legal to fish in certain waters with specific game fish. See page 9 of the Proclamation section 7. Bait. "Dead yellow perch may be used as bait only in: Deer Creek, Fish Lake, Echo, Gunnison, Hyrum, Johnson, Jordanelle, Mill Meadow, Newton, Pineview, Rockport, Starvation, Utah Lake, and Willard Bay reservoirs." (Be aware that there are additional restrictions on some waters, such as Pineview.)
[signature]
Plus you can also fish with white bass on Utah Lake only.
[signature]