Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propeller Selection
[size 2]I need a little help from anyone who has used their boat on Fish lake. I am referring to the one near Loa Utah. I need a little guidance selecting the proper pitch propeller to run on my outboard at this high elevation lake (8,900 feet) . Earlier this spring I had my boat on the lake and did not have very good success at all getting in to run well…couldn’t get enough RPM’s out of it. This is a 16 foot glasstron with a 115 horse, 2 stroke outboard. I was running a 17 pitch propeller. I obviously need to down size my pitch but am not sure how much. I am considering either a 15 or 13 pitch. I realize there are many other factors to consider but any input would help.[/size]
[signature]
Trial and error is always how I've propped my boats. Try the 15 first. If you're not within a few hundred rpms of max., then try the 13. Find someone who will let you return the 15 if you end up needing the 13. There's just no "set" formula for propping, but you'll "generally" gain about 3-4 hundred rpms going from a 17 to a 15. I went through 3 before getting it right on my last new boat. Considering your boat is relatively small, I'd guess the 15 would work if you're close now.
[signature]
I have an 18 foot boat with a 115 hp 4 stroke. I'm running a 15 pitch prop. It seemed to do fine on fish lake when I was there. If you are on fish lake a lot, you might want to check out some different fuel jets for your carburators also.
[signature]
Give Marine Prop a call, he rebuilds and sells new and used props. He also has a lot of knowledge about what props to use at different elevations, his number is 801-825-1352.
[signature]