Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonneville whitefish run
Ok, the Bonneville whitefish are behind in their spawning run this year, just like the lake trout were about 10 days behind. However, I have been out a few times checking on the status. There are a few fish moving in and I caught 6 yesterday. I also was able to hook and land a nice lake trout (31" and about 11lbs) on my ultralight rod and 4lb line (see picture below). I've had my annual whitefish and eggs breakfast so all is well and the "chi" is right. I would imagine all next week should be good and by next weekend it should be red-hot fishing. I was using 1/8-1/16 ounce jigs of all colors and caught fish on black, white, red, and charteuse. Chartreuse was the best producer. Good spots are going to be off 1st and 2nd Points as well as any rocky shoreline on the west side of the lake (mainly marinas). And there you go........

****NOTE TO MODS..>> The "inline" attacment function is not working. I have selected "inline", then the 'insert pic' icon, then it gives me a screen and I selected "from inline" and then no options or anything else appears.

[inline 1123120931-00.jpg]
[cool][#0000ff]Purty mackster. Nice looking jig too. Looks familiar.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Finishing up some new stuff to try next week. If Mama Nature gets back on her meds.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yea Scott, I tried it today off the marina for a couple of hours and didn't even get a nibble! The wind was awfull cold so my boy and I canned it and went to get hot chocolate and hit garden city pond for a couple more hours. Like fishing in a hatchery! Even nailed about six brooders. They looked like crosses between cutthroats and moray eels!
[signature]
[#0000ff]"I would imagine all next week should be good and by next weekend it should be red-hot fishing."[/#0000ff]

Thank you much for that report Scott. I am going to "attempt" a 2fer next week. I hope to get up at 2:30 am and head for the Berry on Thurstday and up again at 3:00 on Friday to take N.E.T.O. up to Bear Lake and introduce him to the whitefisn gig. Having not done much fishig this year, I am as excited a little kid going on a hunt.

It sure is great to have you up there so close to give us the play-by-play on the whitefish, cisco, and mack activity.

--- Coot ---
[signature]
I WILL be all over this next weekend. I have not had my annual white and eggs breakfast for a couple years so I am way overdue.
[signature]
nice looking lakey!
[signature]
Ralph,
If it helps, and I'm sure it will, there is no need to get up that early to fish for whitefish! I've been going about 8:30 and doing OK and in the past I never got out there before 8:00am. So, sleep in if you want to.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Maybe I'll make a run this year, and see if I can't notch another species before the year's up!

I put your picture inline, not sure why - sometimes things get glitchy.

So - you tipping those jigs with anything? Tubes or curly tails?
Sure wish it hadn't been so windy and wet this weekend!
I tried it for about 45 min on Sunday afternoon before the rain came in (3:30) and I had a couple of white fish follow my retrieve and was able to land 3 smaller whitefish and had a couple others on it is close and like Scott said should just get better as the week progresses
[signature]
Ive been told it's pretty simple to catch the whities when there in, but have never been up to try it. Do you use small jigs? Spinners? Just curious...
[signature]
small jigs tipped with worm 1/16-1/8 ounce head 1 inch grub
[signature]
gracias
[signature]
Would be a blast on my 5wt....I tied some flys last year just for the whites and if the weather reports work I plan to jig and fly fish for them.
[signature]