Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco Run is ON! + Bear Lake UDWR report
Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Bear Lake Fishing Report:

The cisco run has just begun as of this morning. There were a few anglers dip netting cisco off the Cisco Beach at first light but the fish schools were small. Over the next few days the run should pick up and fish should be thick by this weekend. Now that the run has started, we expect fish to be along the shoreline and spawning for 7-10 days. There were also a few cisco dip netted off the Utah State Park marina, but they were more sparse than at Cisco Beach.

Ice on Bear Lake is 3-6” thick at this time and there is no open water on the lake. If you come up for ice fishing we urge you to use caution as there could be some thin spots due to methane vents or springs. You can jig/snag limits of cisco on the rockpile in about 1 hour. Remember if you foul-hook any whitefish, cutthroat or lake trout they must be released. Fishing has been very good for cutthroat trout and whitefish using jigging spoons (Swedish pimples and castmasters) tipped with cisco or sucker meat. Try off the rockpile, south of Gus Rich Point, the pump house, and 1st and 2nd points in water 40-70’ deep. Remember cutthroat trout must have a HEALED FIN CLIP in order for them to be harvested. Whitefish like to hang out over the rocky bottom or weed bed areas to eat cisco eggs, so try tipping your lure with a salmon egg, night crawler, or wax worm. A few lake trout are being caught in water 65-90’ deep off Gus Rich Point using the same lures as for cutthroat. We will continue to update the answering machine hotline at the Bear Lake office on an every-other-day basis If you call, PLEASE CALL AFTER 5pm FOR THE UPDATES. 435-946-8501.

Garden City Community Fishery Pond
Frozen and ice thickness can vary due to aerators in the pond. Be extremely careful. Water levels are low, but fish can be caught using small ice jigs tipped with worm or wax worms.

Laketown Reservoir
Frozen and about 8” thick. Be careful around the inlet, but the rest of the pond should be fairly solid. Jigging with typical ice lures and bait have been working well.
[signature]
Great report. Sounds like things are heating up.
[signature]
Bear Lake is calling my name. Thanks for the detailed reports.
[signature]
Thanks for the word I look forward to ice for a change for the Cisco run. Too bad I only have Saturday off this week guess I'll be ready to be neighborly with the crowd. See ya all there. Later J
[signature]
I would like to add that the ice is sketchy! There was a guy who tried to drive his 4 wheeler on the lake on monday and is still in the hospital. I fished on the lake on tuesday and had the ice open up 2ft and we had to find a different way back, lots of poping and cracking! Be carefull!

[signature]
I need a few cisco and don't really want to waste a weekend morning netting them. Thinking about going tomorrow evening. Do they come to the banks in the evening? And is there enough cisco there now to net a few.
[signature]
I'll add to that. The ice is very very sketchy! Today there was spots that had opened up 4 feet across by the rockpile, guys walked out just fine but had a very hard time getting off. The report says atleast 4 inches but there is several spots with much less than that and lots of huge cracks forming during the day and freezing over very thin at night, like they look frozen over but are only 1" thick. Be super careful over there guys, you can make fun of me all you want with my life jacket on Smile
[signature]
thanks for the updates on the ice guys. Never can be to safe when its a difference between fishing and swimming.
[signature]
Agree with what you guys are saying about the ice. That lake is so big the forces in that ice are incredible. I've had it crack and we started floating off one trip. Glad I was younger then and able to leap tall buildings well at least wide cracks. Don't want to try that now. I won't laugh at your life jacket if you won't laugh at mine. Later J
[signature]
Hi I was looking for any tips on jigging/snagging cisco. I have never fished for cisco, but wanted to give it a try this weekend. I do not have net, so jigging/snagging sounds like my best bet. Thanks for any help
[signature]
It's very simple, if you are familiar with bear lake, then head out on to the rock pile on the south west end of the lake. Just look for the newley ice road that has been created by all the people walking out.
Or look for the little city of people on the ice!

Once your out there, use a silver kastmaster or spoon and jig off the bottom with a good hard jig at a good pace! You'll be snagging them before you know it.

Please release fowl hooked fish that aren't Cisco !
[signature]
[#FF0000][size 6][size 6]Updated: T[/size]HURSDAY, JANUARY 24th[size 6] at 11[size 6]:00am[/size][/size] [/size][/#FF0000]

[#4040FF]Limits of cisco were dipped along Cisco Beach. Max time was about 5 minutes and fish were really thick. The marina also had some fish, but I only saw two limits and they took over an hour. This weekend should be fantastic dip netting and ice fishing. We got about 2" of new snow out of this storm so the ice is not as slippery as it has been.[/#4040FF]

[signature]
Thanks Scott for the excellent reports.

To add to that, for daily updates in addition to the DWR phone line can be found on Darin's site:

http://fishingbearlake.com/fish_report.php

Side Note:

Please remember everyone...the ice is not consistent this year so please watch your step if you venture out.

Be Safe and have fun!

-K
[signature]