Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake ice fishing
On Saturday, the ice in the Provo Boat Harbor of Utah Lake was maybe one inch thick.  Everyone was fishing from the docks.  Apparently, the water outside the harbor has a little more ice, but it's still not too thick. Some kids who ventured out on it broke through.  Maybe with the super cold temperatures forecast for this week, the ice will thicken up.  Any reports from others on their experiences will be helpful as I decide whether to try ice fishing on Utah Lake later this week.
It will definitely thicken up! The question is how much. I'm planning to go down and drill a hole or two this evening to test it. If nobody chimes in before I get some data, I'll share it.

Do you know where the kids were at that broke through outside the harbor, ie north dike, south dike, near the jaws, too close to the river mouth?

Thanks,

Pisco
I watched a couple guys walking on the ice today, along the longest private dock. With the forecasted temperatures the ice will only get thicker until Thursday. I will be fishing there tomorrow.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/utah-l...onditions/
(01-30-2023, 06:59 PM)Kent Wrote: I watched a couple guys walking on the ice today, along the longest private dock.  With the forecasted temperatures the ice will only get thicker until Thursday.  I will be fishing there tomorrow.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/utah-l...onditions/

Wave at the camera, I'll be watching!
At the far north west dock (about 2' away from the dock) the ice was barely 2" thick this afternoon. I guess that is an inch more than you mentioned, but I thought it would have been thicker.

As for the main lake, is was scary. I didn't bother to measure it because there were so may slivers and pockets of open water that I wouldn't even try to get out there. I took a couple of pictures looking west and north near the end of the south dike. Again I was surprised and disappointed by what I saw. 

The ice looked more uniform around Lincoln when I was by there a few days ago, but I don't know now.

[Image: IMG-0447.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0448.jpg]