Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Bassin' 6/29
Got up to check out Mantua since the treatment occurred. I went to the East side, hoping to get some top water action. Several other fishermen were encountered while I worked my way out to the point. I was throwing a black/white Hula Popper in the cove area and on the 4th cast I had a nice 10 incher. Returned him to the water and continued toward the point. Hitting every opening that wasn't occupied on the way, without another hit. I changed to a Bettle-spin with a 1/16 yellow tube jig to see if I could find the Bluegills. Got multiple strikes before finally landing a 5 inch bass. Several more were caught as I worked my way back to the car. I caught maybe 6 small ones and lost or missed many. I saw lots of small bass along the shallows that should be a lot more fun to catch in a couple years. I also tried a perch color Tiny Torpedo without any luck. The grass treatment has made an amazing different in the amount of grass that I saw, but it is still early, and it just may not have grown to the surface yet.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Thanks for the report Hue, we sure haven't seen many from Mantua this year. So, no gills or trout?
(06-29-2024, 06:55 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report Hue, we sure haven't seen many from Mantua this year. So, no gills or trout?

No Gills or Slimmers. I had worms with me, but didn't try them. I saw people throwing wacky worms, spinner baits, and buz baits. Never did see anyone catch anything, and only heard of one 4inch bass being caught. So I guess that I did pretty good.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(06-29-2024, 07:02 PM)BURLEY Wrote:
(06-29-2024, 06:55 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report Hue, we sure haven't seen many from Mantua this year. So, no gills or trout?

No Gills or Slimmers. I had worms with me, but didn't try them. I saw people throwing wacky worms, spinner baits, and buz baits. Never did see anyone catch anything, and only heard of one 4inch bass being caught. So I guess that I did pretty good.

Mantua gills- 1 1/2 inch green and white gulp minnow- working very well.
I have been hitting Mantua once a week for the last month and found it to be alive and well after the algae treatment from last summer.
The spawn seems to be over and the bigger Bass I've caught were in the 4 to 9 foot deep areas. The biggest bass I've caught were 2 to 3 lbs. Have not seen any 4 to 5 lbs this year.  Fish the thicker weed lines with a worm or craw plastic. Should provide a better outcome. 
[Image: 20240628-073428.jpg]
With the continued popularity of that pond, I'm not surprised the success level is few and far between. Any given day bass anglers are up against the trees all around perimeter and the bass (what's left of em) are used to seeing everything but the kitchen sink.

Most people I've talked to have had minimal success. There are still bass being caught of course, but you will work for them. Good luck if you go.
A man needs to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing! 
(07-04-2024, 11:05 AM)Toadlysm Wrote: I have been hitting Mantua once a week for the last month and found it to be alive and well after the algae treatment from last summer.
The spawn seems to be over and the bigger Bass I've caught were in the 4 to 9 foot deep areas. The biggest bass I've caught were 2 to 3 lbs. Have not seen any 4 to 5 lbs this year.  Fish the thicker weed lines with a worm or craw plastic. Should provide a better outcome. 

Glad to see someone is having some success there, sounds like you have it figured out better than most.