Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big cats from shore?
My oldest daughter is laid up from foot surgery, and wants to go after big catfish.  We don't have a boat, and I'm still learning the waters around Salt Lake.  Where's our best bet for some good cats that she can get to on crutches?

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can offer.
Most of the local ponds are being stocked with catfish or very soon will be. Shouldnt have any issues getting to a spot to fish. Folks shore fish
Utah Lake and Willard Bay also. Hope yall can find a spot.
Another place to try would be the Bear river but lots of folks catch them from shore at both Willard and Utah lake as was mentioned.
This is the first year in many that I have not already been putting in some time on Utah Lake.  Age and doctor visits have kept my fishing time at a minimum...and Utah Lake has not been graced with my attention yet this year.  Howsomever, I do stay tapped in to what is going on around the lake and can assure you that this will be a good year for bank tangling.  The water levels are the highest they have been in a long time and that will bring more cats in to the areas that have been a bit too shallow for them in years before.

Probably the best spots for your situation will be either inside or outside the marinas.  There will be cats in both areas of most marinas.  They seem to favor 4-6 feet of water this time of year...and if there are rocks...like on the dikes...so much the better.  They spawn in the rocks and then come in to feed on crawdads and newly hatched fish of several species that hang out in the rocks.

I am attaching a couple of writeups that might help.  But in a nutshell, you can probably do well by fishing a nightcrawler, minnow or piece of carp or white bass meat under a bobber right off the rocks.  If the fish are out deeper, then fish the same baits but rig up with a slip sinker or a dropshot rig and keep prospecting until you find where the fish are cruising and feeding.

If I were going to choose a spot, it would either be Lindon or Provo harbors.  But there are some bank friendly spots at Lincoln Beach too...like right off the end of the dikes.  But that might require a bit of a hike for someone on crutches.

Good luck.

Attached Files
.pdf   UTAH LAKE MAP PACK 2017.pdf (Size: 6.49 MB / Downloads: 13)
.pdf   CHANNEL CATFISH 2017.pdf (Size: 2.64 MB / Downloads: 16)
Don't know how Utah Lake is from shore, but here are two we caught the other day w/my Grand Daughter ( she is headed to Law School in August!!)
[Image: IMG-3943.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3953.jpg]

The first one was about 5 lbs and the second almost 8.