Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle Weber Browns on micro jigs
Where can ya slip in a quick trip between thunder bumpers and lighting strikes. Well that answer turned out to be the walk-in area of the Weber below Rockport. 

Now I know a lot of people whip thier flyrods to a froth along that strech including some guide services. Figured they are better at it than me so I decided to give the fish something differnt to look at.

Grabed my trusty noodle rod with some ultra light line and a handful of Tubedudes finest in tiny jigs - like the smallest I had from him.

Ran them like I was throwing nymphs letting them bounce down the current and into holes.
 and under banks. 

The browns gave thier approval with heroic jumps and tail wags after they figured out they had been hornswaggled.

Got some of the best Browns I have caught in sometime. About gave a poor old cowboy a heart attack hooping and hollering that much. 

A brown kinda chartreuse did the best with a white and a black getting some love too.

I could only stay an hr or so before I had to get back and tend to Cookie ( recovering from surgery) wonder how it would turned out with a bit more time

Thanks Pat. I have caught 6 different type a critters on them little jigs this summer. Not counting my hat twice on poorly time casts. 

That area is artifical lure only in case ya try it and you either need written permission from a landowner or to be enrolled in the walk-in program ( free) . It is all private land.

Video link. Don't mind me gushing on a bit. They had me a bit excited.

https://youtu.be/4yAN8nS2w9o
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Dang dude! Those were some dandy browns! That first one had the looks of a text book brown that an artist looks up for reference for creating an artistic masterpiece.
Good on ya! It's always fun to try something different and have it reward you!
Glad those bitty bites are producing for you.  A lot of folks think that big fish only eat big stuff.  But the truth is...especially with medium to large browns...is that a high percentage of their diet is small tidbits.  This includes aquatic insects like caddis and stoneflies...and shrimp and scuds, etc.  So if something of the approximate right size and shape comes drifting by it will usually get an investigation munch...especially if it has eyes...and I put eyes on all my goodies.

Those little "bait bugs" you were using were originally designed to be fished for panfish with a piece of worm.  But, as you found, they can work well without "sweetener" too.  And I have been pleasantly surprised over the years at the size of some of the fish I have caught on them...like 4# largemouths and 10# cats.  And I too have caught more than a few respectable trout on them...of several species.

My earliest models were made with bodies of chenille or craft cord.  But later I discovered how to wrap and paint the bodies so that they did not get gunked up with bait or fish slime after a few fish.  These work especially well in the white or chartreuse bodies.
[Image: BUGS.jpg] [Image: MINI-BB-LABELED.jpg]

By the way, these work great when floated downstream in slow flows under an indicator (bobber).  A lot of the food items a fish eats comes down above the bottom.  So adjusting the length of line below the bobber to keep it just above the bottom at the speed of the current can be deadly.  And always fun to see that bobber take a dive.

I noticed in your cool video that you had trouble with landing fish and handling the camera at the same time.  I imagine you already have a chest mount or shoulder mount for your camera.  But you might consider making one of the chest mounts like I make for fishing out of my float tube.  With the PVC joints (what else) you can instantly rotate the camera with one hand to shoot any scene hands free.  Here is a pic, showing the adjustable chest strap I put on...and then the 3-pronged setup that slips down inside the strap.  Be happy to help you fab one if you'd like.
[Image: GO-PRO-CHEST-MOUNT.jpg]

(08-16-2024, 02:07 PM)joshomaru Wrote: Dang dude!  Those were some dandy browns!  That first one had the looks of a text book brown that an artist looks up for reference for creating an artistic masterpiece.
Good on ya!  It's always fun to try something different and have it reward you!

Hey sure did have the colors didn't he

(08-16-2024, 03:34 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Glad those bitty bites are producing for you.  A lot of folks think that big fish only eat big stuff.  But the truth is...especially with medium to large browns...is that a high percentage of their diet is small tidbits.  This includes aquatic insects like caddis and stoneflies...and shrimp and scuds, etc.  So if something of the approximate right size and shape comes drifting by it will usually get an investigation munch...especially if it has eyes...and I put eyes on all my goodies.

Those little "bait bugs" you were using were originally designed to be fished for panfish with a piece of worm.  But, as you found, they can work well without "sweetener" too.  And I have been pleasantly surprised over the years at the size of some of the fish I have caught on them...like 4# largemouths and 10# cats.  And I too have caught more than a few respectable trout on them...of several species.

My earliest models were made with bodies of chenille or craft cord.  But later I discovered how to wrap and paint the bodies so that they did not get gunked up with bait or fish slime after a few fish.  These work especially well in the white or chartreuse bodies.
[Image: BUGS.jpg] [Image: MINI-BB-LABELED.jpg]

By the way, these work great when floated downstream in slow flows under an indicator (bobber).  A lot of the food items a fish eats comes down above the bottom.  So adjusting the length of line below the bobber to keep it just above the bottom at the speed of the current can be deadly.  And always fun to see that bobber take a dive.

I noticed in your cool video that you had trouble with landing fish and handling the camera at the same time.  I imagine you already have a chest mount or shoulder mount for your camera.  But you might consider making one of the chest mounts like I make for fishing out of my float tube.  With the PVC joints (what else) you can instantly rotate the camera with one hand to shoot any scene hands free.  Here is a pic, showing the adjustable chest strap I put on...and then the 3-pronged setup that slips down inside the strap.  Be happy to help you fab one if you'd like.
[Image: GO-PRO-CHEST-MOUNT.jpg]

Hey Pat, I do have a harness just don't remember where it is at the moment. Cookie got out for her first post surgery outdoor outing this evening but school is starting back up so my schedule is messy I will message and see when we can try to meet up
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Cool video and very nice browns

Pat you sure have some great looking lures.