Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 8/28/24
Solo trip to Strawberry Weds morn.
One nice silver and two reds, 5 or 6 Cutts as by-catch.
No Bows.
If you want to catch a bunch of lame fighting Cutts go there now and load your boat.
Lots of algae in water.
$15 daily launch fee at main marina gets you run down restrooms, no fish cleaning station, and a launch open to wind/waves as there is no breakwater installed this year.
I run my own business and get paid in relation to the services I provide.
The infrastructure experience Weds was worth $5 at best.
Which is really Sad because Strawberry is so beautiful to boat on and has so much potential.
Go to Idaho and see what a $5/daily fee will get you at their lakes/reservoirs!
(08-30-2024, 02:54 PM)MrShane Wrote: Solo trip to Strawberry Weds morn.
No Bows.
If you want to catch a bunch of lame fighting Cutts go there now and load your boat.
Lots of algae in water.
$15 daily launch fee at main marina gets you run down restrooms, no fish cleaning station, and a launch open to wind/waves as there is no breakwater installed this year.
Which is really Sad because Strawberry is so beautiful to boat on and has so much potential.
Go to Idaho and see what a $5/daily fee will get you at their lakes/
I got an envelope on my truck last time. I didn’t get a chance to tell the concessionaire they were #1 because of a torrential thunderstorm. I will pay the fee once they fix the docks, clean the restrooms, and fix the fish cleaning station. If the Ranger wants to have a discussion with me, I’d be happy to have that conversation. they are the only concessionaire that pushes disabled vets and those with the national pass to pay the fee. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been to flaming gorge, and never once have I been asked to pay a launch fee. I’m getting tired of the company that runs strawberry and the federal government that allows the BS to go on there. Such a beautiful place and I’ve passed it up so many times this year just to go to Jordanelle because it is taken care of so well and it’s just as beautiful, and they accept my state parks fun tag. Took my hand two weeks to heal because the strawberry docks have exposed screws and nails everywhere. I feel bad for the guys that don’t put fenders out on their boat when they dock. That place is turning into a joke.
Hey Shane, great report.... How are the kokes this late in the season? I haven't been out this late in too long but I seem to remember the eating quality goes down once they turn colors... For the launch fee isn't that because they let a private company manage the federal water? If so shouldn't they be subject to complaints in their management? I know this is a real sore spot for many of us that like to fish Strawberry and Pineview, but those Federal managed waters are sure over priced... Guess that is how they thin the crowds, but sure is disappointing... Maybe another reason why I like ice fishing... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-30-2024, 03:40 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Shane, great report.... How are the kokes this late in the season?  I haven't been out this late in too long but I seem to remember the eating quality goes down once they turn colors...  For the launch fee isn't that because they let a private company manage the federal water?  If so shouldn't they be subject to complaints in their management?  I know this is a real sore spot for many of us that like to fish Strawberry and Pineview, but those Federal managed waters are sure over priced... Guess that is how they thin the crowds, but sure is disappointing... Maybe another reason why I like ice fishing...  Later Jeff

Hi Jeff,
The silvers are still great but I won’t keep the reds.
As soon as I see I have a red on I power him in (I don’t care if he comes unbuttoned) and get him back in the water asap.
I try to remove hooks while fish is still in net while in water, and set them free.
Both these reds shot down to the deep and I trolled in area in big circles another 20-30 minutes to see if they became floaters.
I never saw them or any Seagulls in the area so hopefully they made it to continue the spawn.
The concessions are a joke, especially for $15/day.
I feel like we are held hostage.
Too bad Utah State Parks cannot bid to take over service, or can/will they?
No Bows.
Lots of algae in water.
You'd think they would take care of the launching area and ficks with all the fees they collect. But it is what it is I guess. How bad is the algae ? I'm headed out there tomorrow morning with some kids to try and get them some fish.
(08-31-2024, 03:05 AM)ocean Wrote:
No Bows.
Lots of algae in water.
You'd think they would take care of the launching area and ficks with all the fees they collect. But it is what it is I guess. How bad is the algae ? I'm headed out there tomorrow morning with some kids to try and get them some fish.
Algae is not bad enough to cause issues, just makes the water look funky is all.