Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GREAT NW Salmon Season!
This is not local fishing, but I thought some of you might like to hear about the salmon return to the Columbia River this year.  Wife and I just returned from four weeks fishing the Columbia River and offshore in True Blue.  What a fabulous year!  Guessing we had over 60 take-downs and boated many of the hatchery salmon.  Released all wilds and lost more than we boated.  Used anchovies in previous years, but shifted to the new plastic spin n fish & Brads this year.  Caught more than in previous years by far.
Turned 87 this year.  Ocean was very rough and I’m thinking it’s time to give up on those “hands and knees only” days on the ocean.  I will miss it but this will likely be our last year.  
Here’s some pictures.
[Image: IMG-3355.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3356.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3357.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3358.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3359.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3361.jpg]
Those are some nice-looking salmon (my favorite fish to eat) and will make some fine filets. Too bad that you think this is going to be your last trip. I understand about being on your hands & knees. I'm a little younger 79 and find that I'm not so steady on my feet anymore. I would love to be able to take fishing trip like that. Thanks for sharing.
Nicely done..great pics, and thanks for sharing..keep on fishin'!..guluk..
(09-07-2024, 01:46 PM)trueblue2 Wrote: This is not local fishing, but I thought some of you might like to hear about the salmon return to the Columbia River this year.  Wife and I just returned from four weeks fishing the Columbia River and offshore in True Blue.  What a fabulous year!  Guessing we had over 60 take-downs and boated many of the hatchery salmon.  Released all wilds and lost more than we boated.  Used anchovies in previous years, but shifted to the new plastic spin n fish & Brads this year.  Caught more than in previous years by far.
Turned 87 this year.  Ocean was very rough and I’m thinking it’s time to give up on those “hands and knees only” days on the ocean.  I will miss it but this will likely be our last year.  
Here’s some pictures.
[Image: IMG-3355.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3356.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3357.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3358.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3359.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3361.jpg]
WOW! looks like you had a great trip, congratulation.
Hi Packfan, yes it was a great trip and probably my last one up there. That’s for someone younger than me. Going to sell Trueblue and all that salmon tackle. Just need a smaller boat now.
Will I see you at Cascade this winter? The perch are still there. You can send a PM if you wish.
(09-12-2024, 04:03 AM)trueblue2 Wrote: Hi Packfan, yes it was a great trip and probably my last one up there.  That’s for someone younger than me.  Going to sell Trueblue and all that salmon tackle.  Just need a smaller boat now.
Will I see you at Cascade this winter?  The perch are still there.  You can send a PM if you wish.

I haven't been up there in several years or ice fishing anywhere in the last several years. I have been fighting several medical issues from agent orange exposure while serving in Vietnam. I have been wearing a special boot that the VA issues to help some of the bone deficiency I have in my left leg, it supports my deteriorating ankle so I can walk, eventually I'm facing amputation of my lower left leg. If the ice gets solid enough this year I want to get back out and try some Ice fishing locally.
My hat goes off to you and all others that served our country, especially those left with scars of battle, like you.  Best wishes that you will still be able to enjoy some fishing and also the ice this year.  Do you have a way to get out on the water? 
Not sure where your VA care is, but my experience with the SLC VA has been very good and I think we have the best VA facility in the country right here.  The same is true for the fishing.  We are blessed to live in Utah!  
Thank you for your service.