Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Fish
Since I am not native to Utah I have a big question about the fish in Utah Lake. From my understanding, it has its problems with chemicals from manufacturing and mining. Are the fish safe to eat? Does anyone on here eat the fish? If so, interested to hear your input.
(09-20-2024, 03:48 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Since I am not native to Utah I have a big question about the fish in Utah Lake. From my understanding, it has its problems with chemicals from manufacturing and mining. Are the fish safe to eat? Does anyone on here eat the fish? If so, interested to hear your input.

Pat and others that fish UL will likely know the exact numbers but from what I remember you can eat the fish out of UL. The oldest fish, like the cats, are the worst, because of the mercury levels, so the older cats are the ones you should release. Keeping the white bass and other panfish should be ok, as long as you don't consume high amounts of them.
That's a good question. I eat them, based on the testing data, not the history or rumors. Unlike many waters in Utah, UL Does Not have a problem with Mercury. The advisories for the lake are related to organic chemicals called PCB's. That is good news because Mercury gets into the muscle tissue and can't be reduced by proper cleaning. PCB's are fat soluble and end up mostly in the fatty tissue.

Because of that, you can fillet a small or medium sized cat, then remove the fatty tissue along the lateral line and have a fish that does not have enough residual contamination to warrant and advisory. 

The fish that have tested above the advisory level are the carp and the cats. As WH2 said, the panfish are generally fine. 

Here is a graph showing comparisons to the EPA and FDA advisory levels from testing in the early 2000's

[Image: PCB-comparisons.jpg]

The noteworthy point in this graph is that you can buy salmon in the market that have nearly the same level of PCB's as the cats in UL, because the markets are governed by the FDA limits, not the EPA advisory levels.

And another graph showing how the contamination levels are reduced if you fillet the fish and remove much of the fat soluble PCB's

[Image: Advisory-Level-testing.jpg]

If you want to read the report I got these from, send me a PM and I'll forward it.

The longer a fish is in the lake the higher the level of contaminant. So I limit catfish consumption to those less than 24" long.

Enjoy!
The Utah Department of Environmental Quality monitors the fish statewide and publishes the consumption advisories. Here is the link:

https://deq.utah.gov/water-quality/utah-fish-advisories

Utah lake does not even register on the mercury advisory but, as has been mentioned, is listed for PCB's. Only carp and catfish are listed. The recommendation is to eat an 8 ounce serving once per month or less or half that for pregnant women. However, I agree with piscophilic that if you filet properly and get rid of all the yellow fatty stuff you would be fine eating it more often. The rest of the fish in Utah Lake are not listed. A lot of nice clear cold lakes have advisories for trout and bass including Jordanelle, Flaming Gorge, Electric Lake, Starvation and Pineview so it's a good thing to look at the link and see how much mercury you might be consuming if you eat fish from those waters regularly.
(09-20-2024, 05:19 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: That's a good question. I eat them, based on the testing data, not the history or rumors. Unlike many waters in Utah, UL Does Not have a problem with Mercury. The advisories for the lake are related to organic chemicals called PCB's. That is good news because Mercury gets into the muscle tissue and can't be reduced by proper cleaning. PCB's are fat soluble and end up mostly in the fatty tissue.

Because of that, you can fillet a small or medium sized cat, then remove the fatty tissue along the lateral line and have a fish that does not have enough residual contamination to warrant and advisory. 

The fish that have tested above the advisory level are the carp and the cats. As WH2 said, the panfish are generally fine. 

Here is a graph showing comparisons to the EPA and FDA advisory levels from testing in the early 2000's

[Image: PCB-comparisons.jpg]

The noteworthy point in this graph is that you can buy salmon in the market that have nearly the same level of PCB's as the cats in UL, because the markets are governed by the FDA limits, not the EPA advisory levels.

And another graph showing how the contamination levels are reduced if you fillet the fish and remove much of the fat soluble PCB's

[Image: Advisory-Level-testing.jpg]

If you want to read the report I got these from, send me a PM and I'll forward it.

The longer a fish is in the lake the higher the level of contaminant. So I limit catfish consumption to those less than 24" long.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, I’m guessing I got bad information when I moved to Utah, interesting to see that the other reservoirs I fish have just as many advisory’s.
You have already received some good info.  The cats from Utah Lake are as safe as the trout from some of  Utah's more "pristine" waters.  The main exception being the larger and older cats that can accumulate a higher level of PCBs in their innards and fatty tissues.  However, as you have been advised, proper cleaning and trimming should render even some of the larger fish safer to eat.  

I have eaten a lot of Utah Lake cats...but almost always keeping only those  under 20 inches or so.  I may have my problems, but glowing in the dark or having nervous twitches are not some of them.  What I will say, however, is that the cats from Willard Bay...with a slightly different habitat and food base...are better eating.  I have often made the statement that of all the catfish I have consumed around the country, I would put Willard Bay cats up against those from anywhere else for white flesh, firmness and good flavor.  

But, as always, the key in catfish cooking is to make sure they are cooked well enough.  Even a smaller cat from Willard Bay will take more cooking than a lot of other species.   If they are undercooked by even a couple of minutes they can be softer in texture and have a slightly  off "catfish" flavor.  Properly cooked I call them Willard Bay sole. 

I advise a lot of folks to cross-cut their catfish fillets into catfish "fingers".  This helps insure more even cooking so that it all comes out properly done.  You can also just make some "nuggets".  Same differments.  And once properly cooked you can toss them in some good Louisiana hot sauce and make "catfish wings".  

One of the ways I like to do larger Utah Lake cats is smoking.  I have posted my recipe here a few times but will do so again if anybody wants it.  Prime smoked goodies.