Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Friday Evening
Jon wanted to find a walleye at Deer Creek and I wanted to get some decent trout. My mom used to can salmon and steelhead when I was growing up in Oregon. She often made the canned fish into what she called Salmon Patties. I miss those patties, so I wanted to try good sized rainbows to see if they came out the same.

So, our combined goal was 4-8 trout over 16”, some walleye and maybe a smallie or two. Well you know the old song “Don’t be Sad, cause two outta three  ain’t bad!

We got the boat in the water around 6:30 P.M. on 9/13.  The water temp was 63. We decided to try the Wallsburg arm. Before Jon got back from parking the car, I hooked a decent smallie near the dock. Only thing was, the decent smallie turned into a 14” rainbow before I could net it. Definitely an indication of things to come.

We trolled from the dock toward Wallsburg pulling my usual #6 SnG’s and some white tube jigs at about 1.5 MPH. We didn’t make it far in the first hour because we got distracted by the trout. We boated 8 or 9 in that time. 5 of those were over 16 and we kept them.
For the next 3 hours we probed around the arm looking for a walleye. Nothin toothey wanted to play. Finally, at about 11 P.M. we went to the spot where we found nice trout and 1 walleye on our last trip.

The fishing was decent, we filled out the last 3 trout spots with more 17” bows, but no eyes. Jon got most of the fish at our last stop and just after finishing our limits he hooked another nice bow, but the magic reversed itself. Before he could get it to the net, it transformed into a 14” smallie. Saved us from having a nuthin but bows day!

All in all, a fun trip. The trout were higher in the water column than I would have expected for mid-September, so we got to see some nice acrobatics. And like they say, “two outta three ain’t bad!”

[Image: Copy-of-limit.jpg]

[Image: Smallmouth-Bass-14.jpg]
(09-20-2024, 06:43 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Jon wanted to find a walleye at Deer Creek and I wanted to get some decent trout. My mom used to can salmon and steelhead when I was growing up in Oregon. She often made the canned fish into what she called Salmon Patties. I miss those patties, so I wanted to try good sized rainbows to see if they came out the same.

So, our combined goal was 4-8 trout over 16”, some walleye and maybe a smallie or two. Well you know the old song “Don’t be Sad, cause two outta three  ain’t bad!

We got the boat in the water around 6:30 P.M. on 9/13.  The water temp was 63. We decided to try the Wallsburg arm. Before Jon got back from parking the car, I hooked a decent smallie near the dock. Only thing was, the decent smallie turned into a 14” rainbow before I could net it. Definitely an indication of things to come.

We trolled from the dock toward Wallsburg pulling my usual #6 SnG’s and some white tube jigs at about 1.5 MPH. We didn’t make far in the first hour, because we got distracted by the trout. We boated 8 or 9 in that time. 5 of those were over 16 and we kept them.
For the next 3 hours we probed around the arm looking for a walleye. Nothin toothey wanted to play. Finally, at about 11 P.M. we went to the spot where we found nice trout and 1 walleye on our last trip.

The fishing was decent, we filled out the last 3 trout spots with more 17” bows, but no eyes. Jon got most of the fish at our last stop and just after finishing our limits he hooked another nice bow, but the magic reversed itself. Before he could get it to the net, it transformed into a 14” smallie. Saved was from have a nuthin but bows day!

All in all, a fun trip. The trout were higher in the water column than I would have expected for mid-September, so we got to see some nice acrobatics. And like they say, “two outta three ain’t bad!”

Nice report and pics, sounds like a pretty decent day, even if you only meet two out of three of your goals. That bass looks like a good one too.
What time did you get off the water and how bad were the power squad folks?
Thanks! The PS was a minor issue. I would guess 10 boats in the Dam half of the lake playing. Lots of kayaks and smaller boats in the Wallsburg area, but it is wakeless so we could say hi as we passed each other.

This was intended as an evening/night trip. We got off the water just before midnight.
(09-20-2024, 08:04 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Thanks! The PS was a minor issue. I would guess 10 boats in the Dam half of the lake playing. Lots of kayaks and smaller boats in the Wallsburg area, but it is wakeless so we could say hi as we passed each other.

This was intended as an evening/night trip. We got off the water just before midnight.
Did you have any problems retrieving your boat that late at night?
Great report. I was just watching another report on DC. They caught a really big crappie.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
We went to deer creek early tuesday morning, Air temp was 40 at 7:00 when we launched. We were trolling for trout with mixed results, Pop gear and worm were working early but most of the fish caught were very small planters. As the day went on the size got a little bigger with a few descent 14-16" thrown in the mix. pop gear slowed and billed squids picked up. All in all a pretty good day. Water temp was about 62 and air temp was around 69 when we headed home about noon.
(09-20-2024, 08:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-20-2024, 08:04 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Thanks! The PS was a minor issue. I would guess 10 boats in the Dam half of the lake playing. Lots of kayaks and smaller boats in the Wallsburg area, but it is wakeless so we could say hi as we passed each other.

Did you have any problems retrieving your boat that late at night?

No, with the lights on the boat and the ramp it was about like daytime.

(09-20-2024, 11:31 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Great report. I was just watching another report on DC. They caught a really big crappie.
Thanks! I haven't ever caught a crappie at DC, but I don't fish it often.

(09-26-2024, 08:31 AM)mdt Wrote: We went to deer creek early tuesday morning, Air temp was 40 at 7:00 when we launched. We were trolling for trout with mixed results, Pop gear and worm were working early but most of the fish caught were very small planters. As the day went on the size got a little bigger with a few descent 14-16" thrown in the mix. pop gear slowed and billed squids picked up. All in all a pretty good day. Water temp was about 62 and air temp was around 69 when we headed home about noon.

thanks for the report! I'm glad you guys had some fun.