Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mirror Lake area questions
I will be taking the family camping in this area hopefully this weekend. I have not fished this area at all. What lakes should we fish and where are some good places to camp. Most of the lakes we will have to drive to or very close to the road. Any other important information would be nice.
[signature]
Any of the lakes in this area are pretty good for fishing, and there are plenty of good campgrounds around. I would suggest going to Trial Lake. You can camp in the campground right on the lakeshore, and can fish from canoes, rafts, or float tubes, or from the bank. You can walk around to the other side of the lake too for better fishing. Wall Lake is a short hike, I think about 1 mile, if you wanted to do a little hiking as well. There's several lakes nearby and you can still also drive to Mirror and several others as well. The whole area is so beautiful! Just watch out for those afternoon thunderstorms! Others know the area better than me, and I'm sure they can tell you more details.

P.S. I'm so excited I'm now a weakfish!!! [cool]
[signature]
I fish up there every week at least once so private message me if you want details on any specific lake as I've probably been there this year. I would recommend thinking about going to Ruth lake. It's a really easy "less than a mile hike" and the fishing is fast for little brookies. You'll avoid a lot of crowds if you get at least a little ways off the road access lakes.
[signature]
Catman, thanks for the information. Do you know if you have reserve a camp spot or can i just show up and find a spot?
[signature]
Junksiege, you will be seeing a PM from me soon. This sight is great, there is always someone with the right info.
[signature]
If you get tired of fishing the lakes you can fish the Upper Provo. My favorite area is around the Sulfur campground north of Mirror and at the turn off for the cabins at Soapstone lots of action if you walk down stream and away from where everyone else fishes.
[signature]
Now that sounds like fun. I usualy go up to Rock Creek this time of year and fish the creek. We thought that this year we would try something different. I will have to try the river. Thanks
[signature]
There are some nice pools behind the sulfur campground, but its kind of buggy around there. I took my daughter there about a week ago and she had hits on flies she tied but was just too slow to pull anything up. I was using and 1/16 oz panther martin silver & white and they were inhaling the trebble hook. When it started to get dark and they wouldn't hit worms either anymore I switched to my fly rod using a black/white wolly worm size 14 hook & griffins gnat size 20 hook and was still catching em as fast as I could.
[signature]
Which campgrounds does everyone prefer.
[signature]
Take your pick there are a number of really good ones and a lot of free places (no Water/ bathrooms) places to camp at. Cobblers roost, supfur, Mirror lake, Washington lake, soapstone, Moosehorn they are all OK, I like one with facilities (for the wife & daughter) & less people but if I'm alone or with the guys we pick a free site and keep as far away from people as possible. There is a good area just beyond the parking area for the Provo River Overlook, its walking distance to the restroom just off the main road about 100 yds or less beyond the parking area keep to the right and you can go about 200-300 yds to a large camping area. Tall trees good area to park level ground to pitch a test of place a camper and you can hear the river below you. The highway noise is not too bad because there is a small hill between you and the camping area, you can get into it from both sides. UncleRay @ I camped there for the last perch party. Special note: The sunrise was unbelievable coming through the trees
[signature]
If you want developed campgrounds there is a list of them starting from Kamas, all along Hwy 150 to Evanston. I come from Layton, Ut and travel up the Bear River side through Evanston, Wy. There are some real nice, shady campgrounds along the river as you head up into the Uintas such as Bear River CG, Christmas Meadows CG, Stillwater CG, Beaver View CG, and Hayden CG. Once you get up on top there are several roadside lakes with campgrounds such as Butterfly, Mirror, and Moosehorn CG. So there is one choice, do you want to camp by a river/stream or lake? You cant reserve them but if you get up there Friday afternoon you should find something. I usually head back to Whitney Res. or Mill Creek to camp. You can just find a pull off and set up your own camp very easily. Whitney is low and the fishing is slow. Beaver lake is just past Whitney and I have heard its been good at times. Both of these lakes are back about 10miles on a well maintained dirt road, just follow the signs from Hwy 150. If you like stream fishing, thats the ticket. Each fork of the Bear River has treated me well this year while dry fly fishing. I use royal wulffs, coachmens, humpies, caddis, and parachute adams. You won't have any problem if you flyfish. Some of my family likes to spin fish and they do pretty good on the streams too. Definitely don't overlook stream fishing, anywhere in the Uintas, they are usually passed up for the flat water fishing. Hope it helps. Enjoy the escape from the urban chaos! Ryno
[signature]
Thanks for all of the information so far. Keep the idea's and suggestions coming please. The more knowledge and information the more succesfull of a trip my family will have.

Thanks
[signature]
You really won't need to reserve a campground, as there are usually plenty still open as long as you don't get there too late in the afternoon. And, if one campground is full, just go camp at the next one. Good luck!
[signature]
We are planning on going up Thursday after work. So we will be getting up there late; but with it being in the week and not friday hopefully we can find a camping spot.
[signature]
The campgrounds usually begin to fill up Friday afternoon, so going up on Thursday you'll just about have the pick of the litter for the best camp sites.
[signature]
Great, Now the worst part is waiting for Thursday.
[signature]
You've got plenty to do before you head out. Make sure all the fishing gear is in order, have plenty of lures/bait/flies, lots of cold beer if you par-take in that, work on your swing, you know you gotta be able to put it on the mark, get the kiddies excited about it, oh better wait until the day you leave for that, did I say put beer on ice?, clean the reels, check the fishing line, go to sportsmans, spend lots of money on MORE fishing stuff, check the beer, ....
[signature]
Good advice FFM, but don't spend too much on fishin' gear. It's the uintas, about anything will work somewhere. Focus on the beer. I like to calculate how much beer I could possibly drink the duration of my trip and then add 6 to it just in case.
Oh yeah, don't forget a knife...nothing worse than trying to clean a fish with the powers of telepathy or a sharp rock.
[signature]
FlyFishinMoose and Junksiege,

Now you guys are talking about the Root-Beer right. [Wink]

I am a non-partaker but no offense was taking, actually i could not stop laughing.

Good suggestion on the knife, there is nothing worse then cleaning a fish with a rock; it makes a big mess and I might get some tree hugger mad at me for clouding the rocks spirit.

Remember that there is no bad excuse to spend money on fishing or hunting gear at sportsmans.
[signature]
Does anybody know anything about Fehr Lake, Bonnie Lake or Bud lake. How is the fishing and how far off the road are these lakes.
[signature]