Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake, Goshen Bay 3/28/2031
With a couple of days of good weather and a half a day off, I decided to look around and wet some lines over by Lincoln Point. My boat is still not ready for spring so I loaded up my old tube. I got to Lincoln beach about 4:30 P.M. and there were 7 boat trailers in the parking lot. I saw one guy in a toon near the slough mouth,1 boat at the Island, and 2 small but tight clusters of floating fisherman off the orchards. I continued South in search of solitude and a spot I had picked up my first November kitties last year.

Without all the fancy stuff on my tube, I didn't get a water temp reading, but based on TubeDude's report from Lindon the day before, I would guess it was ecactly 43.5. Based on the cramping that soon started in my legs he was right, either the water was still TDC or I was TOOS.

I started out working tandem jigs in the shallow rocky areas and dragging a bait with the other rod. I got no encouragement from anybody. Next I moved out and worked the transition from rock to mud bottom with the same gear. I should not admit this in public, but I was dreaming of finding a toothy critter lying along the transition waiting for the next wind storm, or the full moon later that night.

After about 20 minutes I got a solid thump on the jig rod and it was game on! It was a heavy fish and with the exhilaration of the first battle, it took me about 20 seconds to settle down and analyze. Too heavy to be a white, too fast to be a cool cat and too erratic to be a walleye. It had to be a golden warrior[:/] Those guys with the nets must have missed one. After 2 or three runs I saw the golden scales and I could only remind myself that it was still fun to battle a 5 pound fish. When it came to the net I saw that the upper jig was square in the middle of its back. Surely it had hit the lower jig and then gotten tangled in the upper one during the grueling fisht for it's life! When I realized it was foul hooked, I looked around to make sure nobody was looking and then, just in case, I hollered "It was accidental, I swear it!" Fortunately I really was alone.

About 20 minutes later I had another hit and another hookup, but the fish came off when it reversed direction and showed me it's other side. My guess was I didn't set the hook hard enough to drive the point thought those huge golden scales. The next cast I lost my jigs, so I started working a floating crawler rig I had set up on the third rod.

Giving up on the shallows I turned west in search of deeper water. The cats I had found last fall were in about 8' so I thought I'd try. The wind was steady at about 10 MPH and I was headed right into it. When I got halfway to where I was going one calf started cramping. All I could think was, "That mature gentleman in the green tube is tougher than I am. HE does have an electric motor though." I headed south and west on 1. 5 fins, while I nursed the cramp in one leg. My thought was the wind would return me to shore if both fins gave out[Smile]

I dragged both rigs for about 2 hours at depths ranging from 5 to about 9 feet and had only one hit. Something attached the crawler once but I had gotten too distracted but the beauty of the surroundings and the lack of feeling in my legs. I had both rods in the holders and missed it. The vibrational frequency of the rod tip before the line released combined with the lack of large lacerations on the crawler made me think white bass.

Just as the sun started to set I looked over and saw I was slightly upwind and way offshore of the car. I was down to only the starboard fin and was spending large amounts of time pulling on the tip of my left one to relieve the cramp in my port calf. I started to feel some pain in the starboard side and then it hit me. Sunset, approaching darkness, sometimes the wind changes after dark. If I lost my remaining 3/4 of a fin, they may find my lifeless body somewhere near Saratoga. Choosing the better part of valor, I headed for the car. I never wanted to be remembered simply as "bob!"

When I hit the shore, I pulled the tube up on the rocks to let it dry. It was not quite dark and I was alive, so I put a bobber on each rod, cast them out a short distance and started loading gear. Halfway through my first trip the car, the bait rod bobber started dancing. I raced over, reeled up slack and set the hook. Fish on! Again there was decent weight and a couple of slow flops told me it was a cold channel. 21" long and looking a little skinny after the long winter, it was still edible. By the time I remembered, it was too dark for a cell phone picture.

My first thought was "all that paddling and cramping and worrying and I probably would have caught more fish if I had stayed on the shore and enjoyed the sunset. I gave the tube an hour to dry and had only on more timid hit.

So, two March trips to Utah Lake, one cat each trip right at dusk and near shore. There must be a short feeding period in this cold water and the spring is still very young.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]I felt your pain...from leg cramps. That has been a bain to many tubers...including myself. Bain...pain. Hoo ha.

As a former semi-athlete I have endured many "muscle spasms"...in virtually every mistreated muscle in my body. And it hasn't gotten any better with age. Maybe worse.

Drinking lots of milk (calcium) and eating bananas (potassium) is supposed to help. Maybe it does but I still carry leg cramp pills and need to take them on just about every tubing trip. (see attached pic) At the first onset of the dreaded tightening...usually in the calf muscles...I dissolve 2-4 of these tiny little pills under my Tongue. They don't taste bad at all. And they work fast. Only takes a few minutes and the cramps or tightening goes away. It may take a second dose if you are fool enough to stay out in 10 mph winds...without a motor. That's why I got one.

The water should be warming up substantially in the next week and hopefully so will the fishing.

At least you didn't have to endure the smell of skunk along with the pain of crampdom.

By the way, it is common for cats to seek out shallower water late in the day during cold weather or cold water periods. Shallow warms faster and even a couple of degrees is welcome to kitties. They are even more attracted to south-facing shorelines that get stronger sun penetration. But the Knolls is off limits. That is usually my fave go-to spot for early cat action.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice report. Too bad about the cramps.
[signature]
Thanks for the info on the cramp pills[Smile] I will get some to put in my necessities kit.
BTW, do you have a favorite seam sealer for neoprene waders?[frown]
[signature]
I took my tube out for its first two hour tour yesterday morning (Tibblefork, where Fisherman probably out numbered fish Saturday, but at least it's a small area in case I ran into trouble).

It didn't seem like that big of a deal but my legs can sure feel it this morning. I spent the entire time "trolling" a fly and lure with Fin power.

However my motor mount is 90% complete and this week will make its debut up at Deer Creek.

I will have to add "anti-cramping pills" to my list of tube first aid items.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I use Aquaseal for most wader repairs. Also get the Cotol accelerator for faster cure times.

If you need to put a seam back together...or bond two pieces of neoprene together...go to a dive shop and buy the stinky black neoprene glue goop.

If your neoprenes are more than a couple of years old, and the leak is on a foot area seam, you might need to keep making repairs until you decide to get a new pair. Once they start going it is tough to keep them leakless.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Something I probably should have mentioned about the leg cramp pills is that they contain "chinchona". That is the tree bark derivative used to make quinine. I used to use straight quinine tablets but they are no longer sold. And you should check with your doctor to see if you may have a condition or medication that could be reactive with quinine.

If they don't kill you they are definitely "life savers" if you have problems with leg cramps. Quinine used to be the standard treatment for the cramping associated with malaria.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Just a word of warning about the leg cramp pills, if you do use them make sure to not take more than is recommended. I am a pharmacist and am a little bored at work today. This is what it says on one of the drug references we use:

Both the FDA and the manufacturer warn against the off-label use of quinine for leg cramps. When used as approved by the FDA in the treatment of chloroquine-resistant malaria, a life-threatening illness, the risks associated with quinine use are justified. However, in the off-label use to prevent or treat nocturnal leg muscle cramps, the risks associated with quinine use, and the absence of evidence regarding its efficacy for such use, outweigh any potential benefit for this benign, self-limiting condition. Quinine has a narrow margin between an effective dose and a toxic dose. The dosing for FDA-approved use is supported by data to maximize the safety and efficacy of the product; the dosing for unapproved drugs and unapproved indications has not been reviewed and approved by FDA. Since 1969, FDA has received 665 reports of adverse events with serious outcomes associated with quinine use, including 93 deaths. Quinine-containing drugs are associated with serious side effects, severe hypersensitivity reactions, and the potential for serious drug interactions (see Contraindications/Precautions, Adverse Reactions, and Drug Interactions).

Ya'll are big boys so I'll leave it up to you decide if you want to use them or not. They can help, but again make sure not to use more than is recommended. I don't want to hear about dead float tubers from overdosing on quinine.
[signature]
[Smile]Thanks for taking the time to provide additional information about the cramping pills. It is always wise to understand what you are thinking of taking and prudently weight the potential risks and benefits.
[signature]
Interesting, thanks for the info.
[signature]
After reading your note about the pill's contents and the one from jamon_negro, I did a little looking. Just for reference, an ounce of tonic water can have (allowed by FDA) 300 times more quinine than one of these under the Tongue pills. That doesn't mean anyone should take more pills than recommended. It does explain why the pills are still sold OTC.

Some individuals could have an allergic reaction to even small doses, but the pills are generally considered safe when not abused.

Thanks for all the input[Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Good work. I DID recommend that nobody should use them without proper clearance from a doc. I have already checked with mine...a long time ago. He even okayed OCCASIONAL use of quinine...in small doses...but advised against regular or heavy use. When I lived in Arizona I was able to buy pure quinine when going across the border on fishing trips to Mexico. No mas. Not available anywhere.

Like yourself, I satisfied myself that the extremely small dose of quinine in the cramp pills was not likely to turn me into a big Utah Lake bobber. I have been using them for over 10 years...and eating the fish out of Utah Lake. At my age I will be lucky to live another 10 years...with or without cramps.

There are two other factors in getting "tubers' trauma" (cramps). One is constriction from wearing waders or fins that are too tight. The other is the cold water itself. If you are not properly insulated against the cold...or if you are TOO insulated and circulation is restricted...your muscles will rebel.

I much prefer fishing in the warm waters of summer when a pair of light pants and a pair of divers' booties is all I need for watery comfort...no waders.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You must have more bored at work than I was. [Wink] Good work!
[signature]
[#0000FF][cool]Dr. TubeDude prescribes more fishing. Can you fill that prescription?

You still making lures?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF][cool]Dr. TubeDude prescribes more fishing. Can you fill that prescription?

You still making lures?
[/#0000FF][/quote]

I will fill that. Here in 1 week I gotta make my yearly trek to Oakland then I am going to hit UL hard.
[signature]
Cramping in my tube is the reason I am now a boater and not a tuber.
[signature]
Its been awhile since I've made any. I'm finishing up my residency this year so I should have more time for fishing and making lures after June. So it might be awhile before I can fill your prescription.
I may need to stop by one of these days to get my fix of tube dude drugs er I mean lures.[cool]
[signature]
[#0000FF][cool]It would be good to see you again. It has been a while. Good luck on finishing up the details and being able to reduce your work load.

PS...got lots of new goodies for you to drool over.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]