Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jensen Nature Park
I was thinking of taking my daughter down to the Jensen Nature Park for some trout and was wondering if anyone has any tips on where to go to be successful, this will be our first trip to a community fishing pond and I am hoping to get her hooked on fishing while she is young.
[signature]
Not sure about Jensen Nature Park. Is that the one in Syracuse? Have never had any luck there, but it's been several years. Meadow Creek Pond in Roy has been pretty productive for me and my kids. They have done lots of improvements the past couple years. And I believe you can find the stocking report here on BFT for all the community ponds.
Good luck wherever you go. Getting my daughter hooked on fishing about 13 years ago started at Mantua.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I take my boys there sometimes just cause its close and easy. We like to fish anywhere around the east shore. We do ok for planter rainbows, but once it gets hot the fishing dies. I have talked to folks who fish off the bridge in the summer using shrimp and worms in the late evening for catfish but we have never done it. My 8 year old son did catch 4 of the brood stock rainbows (lucky little bugger) they planted in there in early 2015 but those are probably long gone. They were from 22-24 inches. We put 3 back and he just had to keep the biggest we caught to show all his buddies. See attached, this one weighed over 7 lbs. We usually just use powerbait and worms there, but I have done well on flies early and late in the day.

Edit: I just checked the stocking reports and they just dumped in a bunch of fish. Probably good fishing for the next week or two until they all get cleaned out of there.
JENSEN NATURE PARK POND DAVIS RAINBOW 1251 9.62 02/21/2017
[signature]
Thank you everyone for all the input. I appreciate the help.
[signature]
A good way to fish the ponds is with bait under a bobber.
I like to use the cigar shaped bobbers that have a lead ring on the bottom. These bobbers are sensitive and cast a long distance.

Power Bait, Berkley Power Worms, Maggots and Wigglers work well.
Fish them about 4' under the bobber.

The bite will be very light so keep the rod in your hand and set the hook as soon as you see any movement from the bobber.

Another very good way to fish Community Ponds is with a Fly and Water Bubble.
Pistol Pete Flies are a great choice for this type of fishing.

You will want to have about 6' of line between the fly and the water bubble.
Have the bubble full of water.
Cast out and retrieve at a very very slow speed. You will feel the strike much like a spinner.

Speaking of spinners, they are also a good choice for the ponds. Keep the spinners small. You don't need to cast very far to get into the trout.

If you have any ice fishing gear, give that a try under a bobber.
Small ice flies with wax worms or meal worms will catch a lot of trout right now.
[signature]