Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SBC at Willard 5-30-19
[#0000ff]That's right. Something besides cats. Not much more. 2 SMALLmouths and a carp. That on top of 9 or 10 cats with "catitude". Not a bad day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hit the ramp at the south marina right at 6. I was the first there and there were carp lined up with their backs out of water along the full length of the ramp. At least 4 or 5 deep. But as soon as my car disturbed them there was a tsunami of carpic proportions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Air temp was 50 and water temp was 60. Warmed to almost 64 in the main lake by noon. This next week should fire up the fishies. Good clarity. Very little water coming in right now, but the lake is the highest I can ever remember seeing it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Met FatBiker and WH2 and crew at the ramp. The boaters blasted off into the great unknown. FB stayed closer in his tube out of respect for his mending extremities.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Clear and calm. Almost too calm. Fish were sleeping in. Took well over an hour before my first tentative bites. Both were pop and drop...one on bait and another on a flig.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pitched a variety of plastics and cranks to no avail early. As the sun got higher and the water warmed a couple of degrees I started getting bitty bites near the rocks. Turned a couple of them into SMALL smallmouths. But another tentative taker became a bronze brawler...a big ol' carp.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Catfish finally turned on after about 9. Got one here and one there. Some on minnows dragged on bottom. Others on fligs rigged with minnows or perch meat. Got about 9 or 10. All were nice...over 20 inches. And all were feisty...some taking drag on short runs. I didn't take any home.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were quite a few folks fishing from shore today (bank tanglers). Didn't see any of them bendo but it was a nice day for it anyway. There were also a LOT of terns zipping and zooming over the water near shore. No wiper boils but a lot of midges hatching off and feeding the birds. Not enough to be a problem for us tuber types. Nice work terns.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks like it was a pretty day on WB. Hey, that's first photo I've seen of Larry, he aint so Fat [Wink]
Cats look like they are getting into their "hit anything that gets in their line of sight" mode. Maybe I'll skip the river tomorrow and get out on WB for a few hours.

Got plans to be on the river Saturday, and maybe Sunday.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
"Hey, that's first photo I've seen of Larry, he aint so Fat [Wink]"
[#0000FF]When it comes to pictures, some of us want justice. Most of us just want mercy. Always a downer when someone bills you for the costs of ruining their camera.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I caught my best smallie from Willard. There are some good ones in there dining on the buffet. Hopefully we will see ya there soon as I have got Wipers on my list next. Got to try to bring Craig along, so someone can out fish Cookie
[signature]
Great job Pat. Nothing but skunk for me today. Guess I should of followed you up the dike. Good news is my knee held out for six hours of flipping. Guess I'll have to find a different excuse.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad your knee is getting better. Sorry you didn't find some playful fishies. For whatever reason they just didn't seem to be hanging out in the channel. As I mentioned, I didn't get a sniff until I was quite a ways up the dike toward the feed lot.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]But at least you found some wipers last week. You ain't totally cursed. You will get plenty of tugs before this year is in the books.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Now we gotta get you a ride behind some of the big kitties in Utah Lake...as we discussed. Will let you know when the time is right.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]