Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing list
I'm getting excited for ice fishing. I'm trying to get ready early this year I made a list of items I would need and thought I'd share it here in hopes that it might help someone. If you notice something missing please post it here and I'll add it.

Auger, drill, batteries
Backpack
Bags
Bait, pucks
Batteries for everything
Binoculars
Boots
Bubblers
Bucket
Bump board
Bungee cords
Camera
Cargo nets
Cash and cards
Carpet to sit or stand on
Cell phone
Chair
Chap stick
Cleats
Clothing
Coat
Compass
Companion
Coolers
Cord (paracord)
Filet knife
First-aid kit
Flasher
Flashlight
Food and drink
Forceps
Fuel
Garbage bags
Gloves
Goggles
GPS
Hand warmers
Hats
Heater
Hole covers
Hook hone
Hook remover
Ice anchors and tool
Ice picks
Ice scoop
Jaw Jacker
Knives
Knife sharpener
Lantern
License
Lighters
Line clippers
Lip grips
Lotion
Maps
Matches
Medications
Mouth spreader
Pads
Paper towels
Pens/pencils/pocket notebook
Pepto-Bismol
Permits
PFD
Plan
Pliers
Radios
Regulations
Rescue rope
Rod case
Rod holders
Rods and reels
Scale
Scissors
Shelter
Shovel
Shears
Sled + hitch or harness
Snowmobile
Spud bar
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Tackle
Tape
Tape measure
Tarp
Thermos
Tipups
Towels
TP
Whistle
Wire
Underwater camera
Urinal
Wallet
Yard stick
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.
Good list Craig now we just need some ice!! One thing I find i take is a little propane burner to heat some Roman or a can of chili or make some tea out there i just have a little 30$ Walmart stove burner i use when I'm hunting to they use them little fuel bottles
I don't think the ice woudl be thick enough to haul all that out until Feburary. Big Grin Big Grin
Wow Craig, your breaking my back..
I'm thinking you will need a wheeler and slay.
One thing I don't have, but probably should is a gaff.
My list

Lazy Boy recliner
70° home comfort
College FB games
BBQ pull pork sandwiches
Ice cubes for my glass of anti-freeze, not partial of sitting on one

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
At first I had to laugh Craig. What a list. But if I can count what's in my truck and my sled. I have almost everything but the snowmobile. Lol. I like to have everything you could think of also.
Here is my current "light" setup for early ice

Small sled (currently using Jet Sled 21" x 43")
Nils auger
Milwaukee hammer drill
4 ice rods with reels and rigged with various jigs/flies
Spring bobbers
Hand towel
Humminbird Ice 35 Flasher
Spare jigs/tubes/plastics/etc.
Tackle tethers (paracord and two small carabiners)
Bucket with lid
Ice scoop
Cleats
Life jacket
100 feet of rope
Ice picks
Forceps
Bumpboard
Yardstick
Jawjacker
Homemade tip down
Spud bar

Of course winter clothes, boots, etc.

jack of all tackle, master of none
I didn't see the kitchen sink on the list. Lol
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Joatmon, I have never carried rope before. It would be handy for trying to rescue someone. This year I seen a lot of people on less than 2 inches of ice at Henry's. Does yours take up much room?
A small roll of 50' doesn't take up much room, better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it, also need a bit of weight on it in case it needs to be thrown, especially on a few inches, I've also wore a life jacket on some first ice we've been on.
Mouth Spreader,, I was wondering what that was so I googled it. Big mistake . Sad
(12-04-2021, 12:17 AM)fast_randy Wrote: Joatmon, I have never carried rope before. It would be handy for trying to rescue someone. This year I seen a lot of people on less than 2 inches of ice at Henry's. Does yours take up much room?

fast_randy, nah, not much room.  I cleaned all the crap out of my bucket and it fits easy.  Hope to never need it...

jack of all tackle, master of none
(12-03-2021, 12:48 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: One thing I don't have, but probably should is a gaff.
I sometimes wish I had one but they are not legal in Utah.

(12-02-2021, 11:44 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Wow Craig, your breaking my back..
I'm thinking you will need a wheeler and slay.
Verdean, I would only attempt to take anywhere near this much stuff when I use a snowmobile. I included a lot of stuff that I would only use on some occasions such as when staying overnight on the ice at Flaming Gorge. The full list can be scanned quickly and one can say, "Got that, I gotta find that, don't need that this time; oops, forgot that--look in the garage, gotta buy one of those, etc."
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.
[Image: mail-8.jpg]

Now you know how I've been catching such big fish.

Ronald Smile
Wow and they say I take too much stuff, here is my list from my Henry's trip... Rod box, w/ tackle and rods (only used one), spud bar, warm clothes and boots, inflatable vest..., license, bait (meal worms) Go Fish... (Caught 15-16 fish in and hour and a half, averaged 19" each)

(I may not dare put my camping list up, it might look like yours and then they could start teasing me again..) Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Not to beat down the OP -- but lists like that are what scare people from getting in to ice fishing. It's amazing how complicated we can make the things we enjoy doing!!

Ice fishing doesn't require any different equipment than fishing in the summer, with the exception of a way to get through the ice. But that can be done without having to go buy any special equipment, if necessary.

KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid!

What do you need to go ice fishing?

1. a fishing license
2. a rod and a bit of tackle. This can be the exact same stuff you used in July. maybe a fly-rod if that's what you have. The tackle could be as little as 2 or 3 jigs.
3. a way to get through the ice (an auger, spud, axe, digging bar, etc.). maybe just use some old holes, if you have to.

Anything else is just extras.
(12-07-2021, 01:37 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Wow and they say I take too much stuff, here is my list from my Henry's trip... Rod box, w/ tackle and rods (only used one), spud bar, warm clothes and boots, inflatable vest..., license, bait (meal worms)  Go Fish...  (Caught 15-16 fish in and hour and a half, averaged 19" each)

(I may not dare put my camping list up, it might look like yours and then they could start teasing me again..) Later Jeff

I bring a lot of stuff.  But, it's for others that I invite because I want them to be warm and have a nice time particularly when it is a first experience.  Too much to list within the posting limits here Wink
Smart to carry a rope, and wear a PFD if in doubt. If in doubt, tie the rope on and let it trail out behind you, That way YOU can be rescued by anyone, even if they don't have a rope, they can grab yours from 40' away and haul you back up.
(12-07-2021, 04:26 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Smart to carry a rope, and wear a PFD if in doubt.  If in doubt, tie the rope on and let it trail out behind you,  That way YOU can be rescued by anyone, even if they don't have a rope, they can grab yours from 40' away and haul you back up.

I carry 100 feet of bright paracord with two lightweight very quick to screw in by hand ice climbing style ice anchors.  Lots of versatility including rescue.  I have more detailed posts on that in our archives.