Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pond at Willard
Are there any fish in the Pond at Willard bay ?
(03-27-2023, 07:20 PM)RookyFisher Wrote: Are there any fish in the Pond at Willard bay ?

Yes, bass and bluegill.
Thanks, that is good news .
(03-28-2023, 12:01 AM)RookyFisher Wrote: Thanks, that is good news .

I heard they are planning on putting trout in there at some point and channel cats.
(03-28-2023, 12:22 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I heard they are planning on putting trout in there at some point and channel cats.

I would think they will treat it like any community pond early season trout mid season catfish and late fall trout..
(03-28-2023, 02:36 AM)UTFISHING Wrote:

I would think they will treat it like any community pond early season trout mid season catfish and late fall trout..

From what Chris Pennie told me they were trying to get the bluegill established and their first spawn finished before they planted the bass, that was last year, so this year the other fish will follow.

The fishing pond is one of the dumbest waste of money i have ever seen, money could have been better spent on repairing the docks in the North  marina and putting decent lighting at both marinas.
I have to partly agree. It would be a nice community pond addition if not for the fact that you have to pay park admission to get to it. Not many non-angling parents are going to drop $20 to let their kids wet a line.
I'm neutral on that pond.  But to think of it ONLY as a fishing pond is a bit short sighted.  It is much more than that.  It is also a recreational area for swimming, paddle boarding, sun bathing, etc.  The North Marina camping area has 79 sites which can number hundreds of folks during the summer months who more than likely see this new addition to the park's amenities as a very welcome addition to recreate away from power boat recreation.  There is even a concrete launch for non-motorized watercraft.  Based on the intended use (fishing and non-fishing recreation), I don't see it as wasteful spending.  But I do think that both the North & South Marinas are in need of some much-needed repairs and upgrades.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-28-2023, 03:58 PM)dubob Wrote: I'm neutral on that pond.  But to think of it ONLY as a fishing pond is a bit short sighted.  It is much more than that.  It is also a recreational area for swimming, paddle boarding, sun bathing, etc.  The North Marina camping area has 79 sites which can number hundreds of folks during the summer months who more than likely see this new addition to the park's amenities as a very welcome addition to recreate away from power boat recreation.  There is even a concrete launch for non-motorized watercraft.  Based on the intended use (fishing and non-fishing recreation), I don't see it as wasteful spending.  But I do think that both the North & South Marinas are in need of some much-needed repairs and upgrades.   Big Grin
They have been in need of that for many years. The South Marina was a nice place to camp when I first got stationed here in 76, nice grass to put a tent up on and a well lit marina that the kids could fish crappie or cats after dark. Old saying the "Good old days are long gone".
Oh fun…10” planter rainbows. They’d be better served to just make that a bluegill, bass, and cat pond. At least some of those fish would survive to the next year. Such a waste to throw trout in there.

When will the first recreational user step on an old lure? That’s what I want to know…
(03-29-2023, 12:48 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: When will the first recreational user step on an old lure?  That’s what I want to know…
Good question.  Do you have any factual data that this has ever happened at the long-established Eagle Beach or Pelican Beach that would suggest this could be a problem at the beach area on the new pond?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
When I walked out to watch the seaplane take off last year, I saw several snagged hooks and lures on the exposed rocks at the marina inlet's north side. Bank tanglers leavings, obviously. Fortunately, nobody in the crowd was barefoot.
A little clarification if I could. I know the person that designed the pond, and it is not the common community pond. It is deep enough, with sufficient oxygen and a cold spring to keep trout alive and healthy year round. The pond has numerous shelfs for the spawning of different species, and cover, natural and artificial to provide for great habitat. Given even a little chance, it can, and will, be a great fishery, a great multi-species, multi-story fishery.

On the other hand, as long as the dude that runs the park for the State is in charge, all he is concerned about is his playground. Right now he thinks he has a bonanza for the sun bather, swimmer, etc. I doubt the person would have designed the pond had he known what would have happened. The gun toting big cheese in charge is proud of his personal toy.

Yes, the person that designed the pond is a member of our site, but I am pretty sure he will not admit he designed it with the vile treatment he would get from us. Too bad, he is pretty good.
(03-29-2023, 02:29 PM)dubob Wrote:
(03-29-2023, 12:48 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: When will the first recreational user step on an old lure?  That’s what I want to know…
Good question.  Do you have any factual data that this has ever happened at the long-established Eagle Beach or Pelican Beach that would suggest this could be a problem at the beach area on the new pond?

No Bob, I do not.  Just thinking out loud without my filter on.
I tend to think this is probably a good thing to have for the non-boaters that still camp at Willard. Willard can be a tough spot to find a fish for the less experienced anglers and especially from shore. This will give families a chance to catch some fish and probably draw more folks to Willard for camping... I don't expect most of our forum anglers will be focused on this pond to catch fish, unless they start to do really well. Rather I suspect this will be for other recreational users and they pay taxes and park passes as well. So like the changes in fish varieties that are stocked is due to demand, I suspect this pond is in the same zone... Besides I always like new bluegill ponds, you never know where the 10"ers will show up... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-31-2023, 06:47 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I tend to think this is probably a good thing to have for the non-boaters that still camp at Willard.  Willard can be a tough spot to find a fish for the less experienced anglers and especially from  shore.  This will give families a chance to catch some fish and probably draw more folks to Willard for camping... I don't expect most of our forum anglers will be focused on this pond to catch fish, unless they start to do really well.  Rather I suspect this will be for other recreational users and they pay taxes and park passes as well.  So like the changes in fish varieties that are stocked is due to demand, I suspect this pond is in the same zone...  Besides I always like new bluegill ponds, you never know where the 10"ers will show up... Later Jeff

Thats how I feel about it, even though I now have a boat for Willard.