Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone getting out for some fishing?
The first one is a mid 30 and the bottom a 40lb fish. (previous post)

[Image: HR-2023-10-17-002.jpg]

[Image: HR-2023-10-17-004.jpg]
A couple more toads from last fall.
(06-09-2024, 05:57 PM)MMDon Wrote: The first one is a mid 30 and the bottom a 40lb fish. (previous post)

[Image: HR-2023-10-17-002.jpg]

[Image: HR-2023-10-17-004.jpg]
A couple more toads from last fall.
Wow, that is bigger than I thought, very nice. Do you bottle your salmon? Maybe smoke them?
(06-07-2024, 10:12 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 08:16 PM)MMDon Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 12:17 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 10:37 PM)MMDon Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 01:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Those are truly some amazing fish, you must eat a lot of salmon. Do you think that was one of the reasons the koke fishing or catching has been in a decline the last few years, because the F&G planted diseased fish?

Thank you. I eat fish 4 times a week. If we weren't seeing repeats of this problem in most Western fisheries I would probably blame an anomaly on the biomass but to have Anderson look like Ririe is a bridge to far. I think it's an internal fish production problem that when released in the lake takes out most of the fish in a common shoal. It's the only way you lost 3 years of fish every time.
Well that's a bummer. Alan(2knots), is up at Anderson ranch this week, hope he has better luck.
I've known Alan for 20 years. Hopefully they will score. A lot of people haven't done much better than a couple per day.
Here is what Alan caught today, so it appears things are improving at AR.

[Image: anderson-ranch-kokes.jpg]

I had heard of a decent report from Anderson Ranch earlier this year as well.  Have never made the trip over there though.  

As far as Ririe Kokanee are concerned, I know that a big concern in the past was predation by the illegally introduced walleyes.  According to last fall, there seems to be more of them in there right now.  Couple that with F&G stocking tiger and lake trout and there are more mouths to feed... just a thought.

Finally, made it to Oakley recently... 12 rainbows and one walleye in a full day of trolling and casting.
Hmm, that's not good, what's the water like?
(06-10-2024, 09:30 PM)psanders71 Wrote: I had heard of a decent report from Anderson Ranch earlier this year as well.  Have never made the trip over there though.  

As far as Ririe Kokanee are concerned, I know that a big concern in the past was predation by the illegally introduced walleyes.  According to last fall, there seems to be more of them in there right now.  Couple that with F&G stocking tiger and lake trout and there are more mouths to feed... just a thought.

Finally, made it to Oakley recently... 12 rainbows and one walleye in a full day of trolling and casting.

Did you catch the walleye trolling or casting? Any size to the bows you caught? Thanks for the report.
(06-10-2024, 10:30 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Hmm, that's not good, what's the water like?

Water is getting warmer... a bit under 60 degrees when we were there.  Cloudy and some debris the further West/South you go and clearer by the dam.

(06-10-2024, 11:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-10-2024, 09:30 PM)psanders71 Wrote: I had heard of a decent report from Anderson Ranch earlier this year as well.  Have never made the trip over there though.  

Did you catch the walleye trolling or casting? Any size to the bows you caught? Thanks for the report.

We tried pretty much everything but caught them all trolling the tried-and-true size 5 wonder bread lure.  Walleye was about 14" and trout were about 12" to 16" with one at 18".
Kinda what I thought, lots of evening thunderstorms out there every night lately, and lots of wind last few weeks to keep it stirred up.
Predation isn't a factor because of the steep side construction of he biomass. Without flat shallow runnouts. This prevents most of the mixing of species. Once the Walleye ate the perch they began to die out from lack of resources. Simply look at one of those horrid squishy starving cutthroat the state continues to shove down everyone's throat like they haven't already ruined enough fisheries with them. No shortage of those poor fighting fish and yet they somehow justify spending 30% of their stocking resources on a fish there is an over abundance of.
Found a few perch and trout last week at Ririe... trolling and casting. Two of the rainbows were just over 17 inches and the perch were 8 to 10 inches.
(07-08-2024, 04:57 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Found a few perch and trout last week at Ririe... trolling and casting.  Two of the rainbows were just over 17 inches and the perch were 8 to 10 inches.

That's a decent sized bow. Did you catch any perch there last year that were that sized? I'm guessing most of the perch were caught while you were casting?