Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber Doing Well
Finally - the Weber has come down far enough (below Echo) to get in and do some fishing.
So far it has been pretty good, not incredible or awesome...but pretty good.  Maybe 8 fish per hour.
Catching mostly Cutts and a few nice Brown.  Only one Whitefish so far.

Can anyone explain why fish would take a fly over lure or lure over a fly?
I spent a few hours on the river with fly-rod and only landed a few fish...all of them Cutt.
I then switched over to a favorite lure and it was bam, bam, bam...several nice fish in a row with only a few casts in-between fish. And most were bigger more aggressive Brown. Pulling them out of the same hole I ran the fly (nymph) through multiple times.

Would I be correct in assuming/thinking that the fish that are hitting the fly are actually hungry and going for the food value whereas the ones hitting the larger lure are hitting it just out of response / instinct?
Rob, once you figure out the answers to your fish-biting questions, then you can tackle the answers to your women questions. Fish questions might be the easier of the two. Smile
Agreed.  I long ago adopted the philosophy that any question that began with the word WHY...and involved people...or fish...was not likely to have a good answer.  Best you can do is answer yourself the way my dad always used to answer me whenever I asked a "why question"..."Just because".

Seriously, as I am sure you realize, there are a bazillion different things that can influence why fish bite.  Weather, temperature, water clarity, food availability, fish population and competitiveness, etc.  After that come lure size, shape, color, action, depth, speed and all those things.  That's a whole lot for a fisherperson to try to figure out...when his quarry is usually only munching by instinct and not by reading a silly book.
I have asked them personally but they seem unwilling to divulge their secrets
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
IMO, the reason the fish are going after a lure would be because the lure looks to them like a minnow, which is a bigger meal than a fly.
Could be the wrong fly? And the lure represents something to eat that triggers them. It might not be a fly/lure question but which fly and which lure? I have had instances where I couldn’t buy a fish, then change fly and success. The exact thing on lures, many times I was convinced they weren’t biting and or they were not there and was about to quit, then changed lure same spot and game on, fish on! Experimenting can make the difference.
But like Tube dude said we will never figure it out all of the time, the fun is trying and sometimes we do!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life