Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To moon or not to moon
I normally fish when I can and that means all the normal weather and moon patterns general get ignored when I plan because I can go when I can go and not when I can not. Sounds like a bad country song intro.

I am finding a touch more flex in my schedule these days and have been pondering specifically the impact of lunar phases as I already avoid tornadoes and hurricanes.

Since I don't plan by it I can't say it has had a positive or negative impact for me

But to those who watch the sun and tides. The moon and almanac. Or the whispers of your immortal fishing sensi - how much stock do or don't you place in such matters and can you really quantify a differnce by the pound flesh ?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I think the lake and the time of year has a lot to do with it I struggle at lake Powell on a full moon it's kinda strange. I have herd guys say if it is a full moon the afternoon is a better bite than first thing and the evening.
I think the moon makes it so the fish can see to eat at night so the fishing isn't typically as good the next morning. It's not going to stop me from going out after them. But, I don't think the moon all night helps the next day's fishing.
I have a fishing app I keep on my phone. At first when installed I paid attention to the moon phase to get a feel for best fishing times. What I came up with is fishing during a full moon phase the fish were feeding at night making it somewhat difficult for catching. The app gives a 2hr major feeding period & a 1hr minor feeding period which changes daily. During full moon phase, my observation is during 2hr period I don't seem get much luck catching, however the 1hr window appears to work out better. These periods rotate night & day. On the other end, I started leaning towards a lesser moon phase still with major & minor feeding periods having a better success catching rate during the minor period & outside those periods. Since retiring I no longer have to rely on weekend and holidays to fish with lake lice or power squadrons churning the waters. Now, more currently these days I go when I can in hopes of a good day on the water.

[Image: Best-Fishing-APP-1.png]

Less moon phase-for July 8, 2024
This is the app used, it provides weekly, monthly
times, weather & wind. There are many apps that
can be used, my guess is one is as good as the next
with opinions?

[Image: Best-Fishing-APP-2.png]
Full moon phase-for July 21, 2024

One might be able to forecast the lake lice  Huh
situation

[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I fish when I can. I watch the wind report more than anything. But I've found that the best fishing, for me, is right before a cold front comes through. Usually after the front has passed the fishing is not very good. I don't know how much a full moon affects the fishing. I know when I used to hunt geese that when there was a full moon the geese would fly out in the evening and feed in the fields all night and then fly back in the morning and sit on the water all day. I would think it affects the fishing to some degree too.
I think the moon phase has more impact on the coast, with the oceans but over the years I have paid attention to it and for our lakes and streams around here I can't say it makes much difference. I've had great days when it's supposed to be poor fishing, according to the solunar calendar.
I gave up on relying on the "so looney" tables a long time ago.  Sometimes they were right, but more often they were not.  We all tend to believe in what we believe in.  Some folks swear by them.  Others swear at them.

More importantly than phase of the moon are many other factors.  You should know the body of water well...through all seasons and weather conditions.  And you should know the targeted fish species...and what they are most likely to be doing at the time you plan to fish.  After that comes current and previous weather conditions, water temp and clarity, fish movement patterns and current depth choices, etc.

Once you have all the technical stuff factored in, then you gotta choose the right size, shape, color and action lure for the fish species and conditions...and you gotta present it right.

Yep.  Moon phase can have an influence on the fish and fishing.  But there's a lot more to a successful trip than following tables arbitrarily put together by someone who has no clue about the water YOU will be fishing...or the species of fish you will be pursuing.

Fishing is ALWAYS good...even if the catchin' ain't.  And the best time to go fishing is whenever you can.
(07-08-2024, 02:01 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I gave up on relying on the "so looney" tables a long time ago.  Sometimes they were right, but more often they were not.  We all tend to believe in what we believe in.  Some folks swear by them.  Others swear at them.

More importantly than phase of the moon are many other factors.  You should know the body of water well...through all seasons and weather conditions.  And you should know the targeted fish species...and what they are most likely to be doing at the time you plan to fish.  After that comes current and previous weather conditions, water temp and clarity, fish movement patterns and current depth choices, etc.

Once you have all the technical stuff factored in, then you gotta choose the right size, shape, color and action lure for the fish species and conditions...and you gotta present it right.

Yep.  Moon phase can have an influence on the fish and fishing.  But there's a lot more to a successful trip than following tables arbitrarily put together by someone who has no clue about the water YOU will be fishing...or the species of fish you will be pursuing.

Fishing is ALWAYS good...even if the catchin' ain't.  And the best time to go fishing is whenever you can.

Amen! Well said
I don't put much stock in the moon phases. As has been said, they seem to be wrong just as much, if not more, than they are right. I will agree though with full moon "night feeding" that literally tanks the bite the next day or days. I saw this first hand years ago on the Greys in WY. There were caddis all over the river in the evening when I fished. The sheer amount of bugs was incredible, and I thought at first that it was going to be non-stop catching. The issue though was that there was a full moon also and those fish stayed up and partied all night, so that by the time daylight rolled around, they had no interest in anything...all...day...long! The few fish that I did catch were absolutely gorged on bugs. That's just one instance.
It's been some time but we would go night fishing on the Green River using floating Rapala Lures with a full moon night. The fishing was action on crazy. Big Grin
Thanks for the input. About what I figured - go fishing when you can but if possible watch the full moon for help or hindrance
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew