Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat trailer alignment
Since I purchased my current boat in 2018 I have been disappointed with the tire life - both tires wear on the outside. This has been even more pronounced this year as I have not had a long term camp at Strawberry. With the long term camp I was towing the boat from camp to the launch, not a long way. This year I have been towing from home all summer and really noticed the tire wear. I wasn't sure about tire alignment on boat trailers. 
I found a really good shop in Springville to do the alignment today. I was really impressed, he put computers on both sides and had a hydraulic mechanism to accurately adjust the axel. It was not cheap $160 but this is the second time this year I have changed the tires. If I get a year (and I hope more) my next set of tires (that I don't need) would pay for the alignment. Here is hoping for more than 6 months on a set of tires.
(08-27-2024, 05:22 PM)brookie Wrote: Since I purchased my current boat in 2018 I have been disappointed with the tire life - both tires wear on the outside. This has been even more pronounced this year as I have not had a long term camp at Strawberry. With the long term camp I was towing the boat from camp to the launch, not a long way. This year I have been towing from home all summer and really noticed the tire wear. I wasn't sure about tire alignment on boat trailers. 
I found a really good shop in Springville to do the alignment today. I was really impressed, he put computers on both sides and had a hydraulic mechanism to accurately adjust the axel. It was not cheap $160 but this is the second time this year I have changed the tires. If I get a year (and I hope more) my next set of tires (that I don't need) would pay for the alignment. Here is hoping for more than 6 months on a set of tires.

Years ago, I went thru unnecessary tire wear but not as bad as described here by brookie. I found a place on Wall Ave in Ogden that did trailer alignment that did the original single axle and later a new axle change. Even the new needed alignment. Since then, the business has gone thru new ownership changing names 2 additional times. The 2nd business continued on with trailer alignments but not the 3rd business. To update this, I have no idea if the 3rd business has since brought in any one to do alignments. However, I'm sure there are others around that may do trailer alignments. Now have a different boat & trailer which is an easy loader with tandem torsion axles. Have no issues with tire wear. I've replaced tires since 2016 twice. The only bummer now is shopping for a good quality trailer tire & pricing. Some of the tires sold have poor reviews which brings to my mind as "May Pops".  Huh
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(08-27-2024, 05:22 PM)brookie Wrote: Since I purchased my current boat in 2018 I have been disappointed with the tire life - both tires wear on the outside. This has been even more pronounced this year as I have not had a long term camp at Strawberry. With the long term camp I was towing the boat from camp to the launch, not a long way. This year I have been towing from home all summer and really noticed the tire wear. I wasn't sure about tire alignment on boat trailers. 

Glad you found a place to do your boat trailer alignment John. Over the years we have had several threads like this, where members were having the same problem. Guess it's just a matter of finding the right shop, that knows what they are doing to get them aligned properly. How many places did you have to call to find the guy you used?
(08-28-2024, 01:05 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Glad you found a place to do your boat trailer alignment John. Over the years we have had several threads like this, where members were having the same problem. Guess it's just a matter of finding the right shop, that knows what they are doing to get them aligned properly. How many places did you have to call to find the guy you used?

Guess I was lucky, the guy at the tire shop recommended this one to me - said he was the best and I was very impressed. I know Springville is a long way for you guys in the north, but it was Sid's Alignment in Springville in case that helps anyone.