Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine
Went up yesterday to watch the kokanee run. the size surprised me. Much larger on average than I would have thought. There were 4 or 5 that were very large .Saw many in that 15" range and those 4 or 5 dwarfed them.
(09-16-2024, 05:09 PM)packfish Wrote: Went up yesterday to watch the kokanee run. the size surprised me. Much larger on average than I would have thought. There were 4 or 5 that were very large .Saw many in that 15" range and those 4 or 5 dwarfed them.

We trolled the Pig 5 or 6 times this Summer and were happy to see the size increase this year. We never caught any over 15.5" but it doesn't surprise me there are bigger ones in there. If you had to guess would you say those bigger ones were over or under 20"?
I fished Porcupine 6 times this summer.  We limited out twice (20 fish for 2 anglers).  We caught 15, 16, and 18.  Then we caught 4 on the last trip in late August.  In fact, I'm smoking a batch as I type this.  The kokes were really good this year, but you had to get on them early.  By about 10am the bite was over on every occasion.  I felt we had to keep it hush since if there are 5 boats on Porcupine trolling, then it becomes crowded.  Our last trip there were at least 10 boats and it made the fishing difficult, thus we only caught 4 kokes.  Ice fishing should be good up there this winter.
(09-16-2024, 09:07 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: We limited out twice (20 fish for 2 anglers).
Twenty?  Limit is 12 per day.  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
i would say those 4 or 5 were 20" or a tinch over. I was maybe 10 ft away and they were in a foot or so of water. When they ran up thru a 10 yard section of shallower water their backs were out. I think the church left the gate open so people could go up a little further and get parking.
(09-16-2024, 11:39 PM)packfish Wrote: i would say those 4 or 5 were 20" or a tinch over. I was maybe 10 ft away and they were in a foot or so of water. When they ran up thru a 10 yard section of shallower water their backs were out. I think the church left the gate open so people could go up a little further and get parking.

Nice, it would have been awesome to catch one that size this Summer but it's good to know they can get that big in there. Were you upstream from the main body of water?
(09-16-2024, 09:46 PM)dubob Wrote:
(09-16-2024, 09:07 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: We limited out twice (20 fish for 2 anglers).
Twenty?  Limit is 12 per day.  ?

I thought it was 10?  Damn we missed out on a few fish this summer.  Guess I should pay more attention to the special regs.  Better safe with less fish than sorry.
(09-17-2024, 01:47 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-16-2024, 11:39 PM)packfish Wrote: i would say those 4 or 5 were 20" or a tinch over. I was maybe 10 ft away and they were in a foot or so of water. When they ran up thru a 10 yard section of shallower water their backs were out. I think the church left the gate open so people could go up a little further and get parking.

Nice, it would have been awesome to catch one that size this Summer but it's good to know they can get that big in there. Were you upstream from the main body of water?

I was directly below the gate of the Church land and then upstream for 100 yards or so. so probably 200 yards upstream from where the creek now enters . There were 2 eagles cruising where the lake ends but never saw them get anything.
(09-17-2024, 05:25 PM)packfish Wrote:

I was directly below the gate of the Church land and then upstream for 100 yards or so. so probably 200 yards upstream from where the creek now enters . There were 2 eagles cruising where the lake ends but never saw them get anything.

We saw those eagles the last time we were there, We went up lake to where the river enters the lake but saw no salmon there, we figured they must be up river. I haven't been up past that parking area, at the back launch, good to know there is parking up the road, in case you want to view the salmon running.
(09-17-2024, 07:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-17-2024, 05:25 PM)packfish Wrote:

We saw those eagles the last time we were there, We went up lake to where the river enters the lake but saw no salmon there, we figured they must be up river. I haven't been up past that parking area, at the back launch, good to know there is parking up the road, in case you want to view the salmon running.

There is parking for 3 or 4 cars if the church doesnt leave the gate open. Last year the pictures I took say it was Oct. 2nd so the run has a ways  to go I would think. Buddy said he was hammering the stripers on Lake Mead. Leaving for the airport now.
So Scott, you mentioned that you expect ice fishing to be good... Don't the kokanee die after spawning? If so wouldn't we expect the big fish class to be gone? I hope not, but I've been afraid that we will be back to smaller fish....Also, I've heard there are two types of Kokes one bigger like Strawberry/ Flaming gorge and then a smaller strain is that correct? or is there only one stain and it depends on conditions for size of the fish? Reason I ask, is if they are seeing 20" fish that is really incredible and I'd like to hope that we can see bigger fish up there.... Anyway just checking your professional opinion... Thank you... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
At the end of my original post I said I was leaving for Lake Mead. 15 to 17" stripers non stop. 4 guys and 4 on at a time. Anywhere from the surface early then to 40 to 110 ft. Went on for 4 days. Fish tacos for all.
(10-01-2024, 03:28 PM)packfish Wrote: At the end of my original post I said I was leaving for Lake Mead. 15 to 17" stripers non stop. 4 guys and 4 on at a time. Anywhere from the surface early then to 40 to 110 ft. Went on for 4 days. Fish tacos for all.

Congrats, sounds like a great time.Also sounds like a LOT of fish tacos. Did you guys catch anything else other than stripers at Mead? How hot was it down there, at this time of the year?
It’s always a good time when you can get the stripers riled up!!
(10-01-2024, 11:22 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-01-2024, 03:28 PM)packfish Wrote: At the end of my original post I said I was leaving for Lake Mead. 15 to 17" stripers non stop. 4 guys and 4 on at a time. Anywhere from the surface early then to 40 to 110 ft. Went on for 4 days. Fish tacos for all.

Congrats, sounds like a great time.Also sounds like a LOT of fish tacos. Did you guys catch anything else other than stripers at Mead? How hot was it down there, at this time of the year?

we caught smallmouth and some large mouth bass. It was in the 90's during the day. we were all the way around the lake and at Temple Bar.