Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone doing any fishing this week?
We are planning on getting out to Willard tomorrow, hopefully catching some perch and cats, but if we are lucky, maybe we will see some boils. How about you, any plans this week?
I thought that I would make another sturgeon trip tomorrow. I haven't fished for them, since last week, so I'm due for another trip.
(09-18-2024, 05:06 PM)Kent Wrote: I thought that I would make another sturgeon trip tomorrow.  I haven't fished for them, since last week, so I'm due for another trip.

LOL, sounds like you are fishing more in Idaho than Utah. Do you keep track of the number of days you fish in Idaho per year, Kent? Seems you are having some good success up there this year, good luck on this trip.
(09-18-2024, 07:12 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-18-2024, 05:06 PM)Kent Wrote: I thought that I would make another sturgeon trip tomorrow.  I haven't fished for them, since last week, so I'm due for another trip.

LOL, sounds like you are fishing more in Idaho than Utah. Do you keep track of the number of days you fish in Idaho per year, Kent? Seems you are having some good success up there this year, good luck on this trip.

Yes I do.

Are you hitting the snake river? What part?
(09-18-2024, 09:04 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:

Are you hitting the snake river? What part?

Yes, but I would rather not broadcast where (too many sturgeon anglers already fishing this stretch of the river, and it is a small area).
I was going to try and fish Echo this Friday but it's looking iffy now. Seems like it's harder and harder to go fishing this year. There is constantly something going on. I've had 2 sisters pass away in less than a month and other family obligations. It's just one thing after another. But I enjoy reading about everyone else's fishing trips. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I made a morning quick trip to Deer Creek this morning looking for walleye. Got several rainbow, an 18" brown and a nice perch. Unfortunately no walleye. A few fishing boats out, did not see any skiers. Nice pleasant day on the water. Fishing Friday - an invite with Shawn and Tube Dude, but that is his show so I'll let him tell the tale.
Breaking away this year was difficult for me as well. Lately my wife has kept me busy with heavy yard work with some relandscaping with color rock. The latest episode was releveling concrete the patio & front walkway. Hoping to disappear or sneak out from her site for a day Dodgy and running the risk of her accusing me of evading her for the work that needs to be done. Undecided The old saying goes "out of site out of mind", not with my wife since technology always with me, texting.  Huh I will be on my best behavior with November approaching, our 50th anniversary. Angel Now that the weather is cool & hunting season is in full swing the lake lice should be settling. This is a favorite time of year I like hitting the soft deck. Cool
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I'm getting closer and closer to being able to get out, but still not there... Moose hunt starts October 8th, so got to be ready to go for that.. Haven't checked my zero on the rifle yet, need to make sure it hasn't gotten bumped since my last hunt... Just hate to shoot the .300 Winny very much before the hunt so I start to flinch when I pull that trigger... I shoot a Thompson Encore that you can change barrels, so i have been shooting the 6.5 mm Creedmore, but not the .300 Win Mag... So I hope that is close to the same as practicing, except I know the ballistics is different, so I can't trust the elevation adjustments much... but I think it will cover trigger pull training and such... Anyway I don't have a next fishing trip on the horizon yet, but hope too before ice... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-19-2024, 04:56 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'm getting closer and closer to being able to get out, but still not there... Moose hunt starts October 8th, so got to be ready to go for that.. Haven't checked my zero on the rifle yet, need to make sure it hasn't gotten bumped since my last hunt... Just hate to shoot the .300 Winny very much before the hunt so I start to flinch when I pull that trigger...  I shoot a Thompson Encore that you can change barrels, so i have been shooting the 6.5 mm Creedmore, but not the .300 Win Mag... So I hope that is close to the same as practicing, except I know the ballistics is different, so I can't trust the elevation adjustments much... but I think it will cover trigger pull training and such... Anyway I don't have a next fishing trip on the horizon yet, but hope too before ice... Later J

Do you have a lead sled? I usually let my boys shoot the magnums these days but for sighting in and target practice I highly recommend a lead sled. With 50 or more pounds of weight it really helps with the recoil and saves my shoulder and takes care of the flinches. Adrenalin usually kicks in when there is a buck or bull in the scope so I never notice the recoil in the field but at the range the lead sled has been a game changer for me.
As Brookie mentioned I'm hosting him and Tubedude on my boat Friday morning we will be pulling out of the South Marina around 7am. My plan is to start off of Pelican Beach strolling with fligs tipped with chubs for catfish and Perch, keeping our eyes peeled for bird action and wiper boils to cast Rattle Traps to.
Here it is Thirstyday already and I lost anther week. Sigh...
(09-19-2024, 04:56 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'm getting closer and closer to being able to get out, but still not there... Moose hunt starts October 8th, so got to be ready to go for that.. Haven't checked my zero on the rifle yet, need to make sure it hasn't gotten bumped since my last hunt... Just hate to shoot the .300 Winny very much before the hunt so I start to flinch when I pull that trigger...  I shoot a Thompson Encore that you can change barrels, so i have been shooting the 6.5 mm Creedmore, but not the .300 Win Mag... So I hope that is close to the same as practicing, except I know the ballistics is different, so I can't trust the elevation adjustments much... but I think it will cover trigger pull training and such... Anyway I don't have a next fishing trip on the horizon yet, but hope too before ice... Later J

I would recommend getting a mussel brake. I have one on my 30-06. It's a light weight ruger weights 7 lbs. It was a big kick for my teenager. Now it feels like my 243 love to shoot it.

Just use that CM with a quality bullet on your Moose.
A LOT have Moose have met there demise with that caliber.
I used a 6.5mm Barnes 127 LRX bullet on my 400 lb Bear three years ago.
He was slightly quartered away and I waited for him to move his front left leg forward and took the shot.
The bullet petaled out perfectly, hitting multiple organs, and found it against skin on opposite shoulder, it was about ready to fall out.
I weighed that bullet and it was at 126 grains. I called the engineer at Barnes and he said the ballistic tip weighs one grain.
You are more likely to make a perfect shot on your Moose with a gun you are not worried about recoil than a gun you are recoil sensitive to.
Just food for thought.
Good luck on your hunt Jeff!
(09-19-2024, 05:44 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:

Do you have a lead sled? I usually let my boys shoot the magnums these days but for sighting in and target practice I highly recommend a lead sled. With 50 or more pounds of weight it really helps with the recoil and saves my shoulder and takes care of the flinches. Adrenalin usually kicks in when there is a buck or bull in the scope so I never notice the recoil in the field but at the range the lead sled has been a game changer for me.
I need to look into one of those... I like to shoot, but I tend to shoot too many shots, so my shoulder gets tender after 20 rounds, but I agree with you on the never feeling the kick when I'm hunting... thanks for the suggestion...

(09-20-2024, 01:05 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:

I would recommend getting a mussel brake. I have one on my 30-06. It's a light weight ruger weights 7 lbs. It was a big kick for my teenager. Now it feels like my 243 love to shoot it.

How do you deal with the extra noise while using the brake?  I've been looking into them, but have heard you have to wear ear protection due to the extra noise.. (I know you should wear it all the time anyway, but I hear that they have to wear plugs plus muffs with a brake.) I probably had the same rifle you describe a M-77 Ruger, loved that gun, but it was the kickingest dang gun I ever shot... Even worse than my .300 Win Mag.. sold it to my brother and he figured out how to tame it down, but I loved that 06...  Thanks for the suggestion... PS.. Also looking into putting a Can on it, but know the licensing process takes too long for this hunt... Thanks again... Jeff

(09-20-2024, 02:26 PM)MrShane Wrote:

Just use that CM with a quality bullet on your Moose.
A LOT have Moose have met there demise with that caliber.
I used a 6.5mm Barnes 127 LRX bullet on my 400 lb Bear three years ago.
He was slightly quartered away and I waited for him to move his front left leg forward and took the shot.
The bullet petaled out perfectly, hitting multiple organs, and found it against skin on opposite shoulder, it was about ready to fall out.
I weighed that bullet and it was at 126 grains. I called the engineer at Barnes and he said the ballistic tip weighs one grain.
You are more likely to make a perfect shot on your Moose with a gun you are not worried about recoil than a gun you are recoil sensitive to.
Just food for thought.
Good luck on your hunt Jeff!

Hey Shane,
I've really been wondering the same thing, but I don't know if I trust myself to take a once in a lifetime shot being undergunned.. I know it will do it, I've seen others video's doing it, but I still feel like a .30 cal is a better choice for a moose... I just plan on not shooting it much before so I'm not sensitive to the recoil...(I'm going to shoot and make sure the zero is still on and call it good.)  I also may use a lower velocity load so it has less recoil... 3200 fps probably isn't necessary, when 2900 fps will shoot flat enough for moose range... I don't plan on starting my long range hunting on a moose, I think I can get inside 300 yards, so I should be able to shoot flat enough to get the job done. I'm looking forward to the next week getting some range time in and seeing what that gun will do.... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!