Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBC at Willard, not quite
Ira, Alan and I got out to Willard again today. Water temps started off around 66 degrees at 7am and climbed to 69 degrees by 1pm or so. Started off pretty good with some decent cats, up to 28" but then we got a surprise, a SM bass wanted to sample the flig/chub, that was a first for us, catching a bass on a flig. Later we caught a very small perch. Ira and I were using pink or orange fligs and Alan was using white. Not sure what the deal was today but a lot of the cats we caught were males, including the biggest one. I'll post a pic of the big one when I get it from Ira.
The cat size at Willard is sure improving. The future looks pretty good. Maybe even Utah Lake good?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-20-2024, 12:20 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: The cat size at Willard is sure improving. The future looks pretty good. Maybe even Utah Lake good?

Back in the 80's ten pound cats in Willard were common, those cats died off, the upcoming year class of Willard cats are getting impressive for sure but still have a ways to go to reach that 10 pound size again. I have no doubt it will happen, just not sure when. Here is that 28 incher from yesterday.

[Image: 28-inch-willard-cat.jpg]
Any signs of Boils?
(09-20-2024, 04:15 PM)Wells Wrote: Any signs of Boils?

None while we were there but we were marking a lot of shad. That being said, we only fished in a small area, so they could have been boiling in other areas of the lake.
(09-20-2024, 07:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

None while we were there but we were marking a lot of shad. That being said, we only fished in a small area, so they could have been boiling in other areas of the lake.
How was the power boats are they thinning out?
(09-21-2024, 06:57 PM)oldguy Wrote:
(09-20-2024, 07:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

How was the power boats are they thinning out?
OOH yea, we on;y saw one or two power boats and a couple of those power skies.
When we were there Friday there were no power craft before our noon departure.  And also no boils.  Water had cooled below 65 and was a bit murky from recent wind action.  Predators (wipers) need to be able to see their prey well to herd them into balls and then work them over on top.  After a week or so of calmer weather they may show up again.  But usually not as prevalent in the cooler months of fall as during late summer.   But they will still hit the right lures presented at the right depth and speed.