Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching delayed triples
Made a sturgeon run with Brian yesterday.  We were fishing with four rods and we hooked fish on three of the rods.  The lines became tangled and we were only able to land one of the sturgeons.  The other two sturgeons were hung up in the rocks and we had no choice but to break the lines.  A short time later I hooked a fish and while reeling it in it felt kind of different.  When I got the fish to the boat, I found that I actually had two fish.  I had snagged, in the eye of a pyramid weight the two fish that we had lost earlier (one at ~36" and the other at ~66").  Apparently, the two that broke off were tangled together and I was fortunate to bring them both in.  I was grateful to be able to release them, because there is good chance that they both would have died.  We decided it was best to just fish with two rods, from then on.  It was crazy the number of bites that we both missed.  Fun day and lots of nice sturgeon caught with Brian.
Sounds like a great day on the river! I'm glad you were able to catch the 2 that were tied together and release them. Thanks for the report.
That seems amazing that you hooked the eye of the weight. Must have been all that good karma from being a "Gracious Host!"

Thanks for sharing the report!
Great report Kent, what are the odds you would hook the eye of the weight you lost, really amazing. I'm sure those sturgeon were happy as well, as it might have been trouble for them, if those hooks didn't fall out on their own. Did the two fish fight as hard as one of those big 90 to 100 inch sturgeon?
(09-20-2024, 09:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report Kent, what are the odds you would hook the eye of the weight you lost, really amazing. I'm sure those sturgeon were happy as well, as it might have been trouble for them, if those hooks didn't fall out on their own. Did the two fish fight as hard as one of those big 90 to 100 inch sturgeon?

They fought hard, but definitely not as hard as a single sturgeon of the combined weight.  They were likely already tired trying to get away from each other and also likely pulled against each other as much as they tried to pull away from my rod.
Hooked the eye. Good karma. And a great share
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-20-2024, 08:29 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: That seems amazing that you hooked the eye of the weight. Must have been all that good karma from being a "Gracious Host!"

Thanks for sharing the report!

Yes, it was extremely lucky to hook the eye of one of the weights.  The lines were so tangled up that neither of the weights had slid off of the fishing lines and they were both attached using sliders that are meant to allow the sinkers to slide off of the broken line.