Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Lake and Huntington 9/3-5
My dad and I went on a 2 nighter camping and fishing trip Thursday through Saturday. Thursday we started fishing Huntington creek and caught only 1 small brown before we headed for Electric lake. Fished Electric Thursday night and a little bit Friday morning. Very slow fishing. Trolled a woolybugger around and caught a small tiger and to my surprise my first ever kokanee salmon. Never thought I would ever catch a koke that way especially a red one during the spawn. Got him back in the water quickly to continue his spawn. That was a bonus surprise catch. Not bad for my first kokanee. Few other hits I'm guessing were Tigers but couldn't land anymore at Electric lake. We moved over to Huntington Friday and Saturday and did quite well. Especially Friday evening and Saturday morning. The days got a little slower but was still catching some. I was expecting mostly Tigers with a few splake in the mix but it was totally opposite. It was mostly splake with a few Tigers in in the mix. Nothing huge. The average size was around 9-10 inches with some pushing 11-12. The biggest splake came around 16. Caught a few trolling a white twister tail jig tipped with a worm and a couple trolling a whoolybugger. Most fish at Huntington were on a metallic perch kastmaster. Was almost every cast. Couldn't keep them off! Fun lake for the float tube. Can't wait to go back! Overall it was a fun trip with my dad. Heard a few elk buguling which is always cool to hear.
With the fire up in the Uintas I have been wondering if that area is taking on a lot of RVs looking for non smoky camping spots.

I don't often hear of really hot splake fishing. That must of been fun to have them being that aggressive
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thanks for the report, sounds like it was a fun trip but I'm surprised the catching wasn't better at E lake, congrats on getting your first koke. How long was that koke?
(10-08-2024, 11:33 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: With the fire up in the Uintas I have been wondering if that area is taking on a lot of RVs looking for non smoky camping spots.

I don't often hear of really hot splake fishing. That must of been fun to have them being that aggressive
There were a bunch of RVs coming in Friday night and Saturday morning. I'm guessing a lot of them were elk hunters. I never thought I would catch that many splake. It was a blast!

(10-09-2024, 09:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, sounds like it was a fun trip but I'm surprised the catching wasn't better at E lake, congrats on getting your first koke. How long was that koke?
I was too. I don't want to give up on Electric lake. Just need to figure that lake out. I didn't measure the koke but he was probably around 14 inches or so.