Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Kitty Fest 8-25-06
[cool][#0000ff]Took some "visiting dignitaries" to Lincoln Beach today. AdictedBassTard and "wifey" Nicole, BFT members from New York, wanted to get in some kitty chasin while here on vacation. Originally from South Africa, ABT hangs out on the float tubing board a lot and specifically wanted to get his wife into a cat larger than the 8 incher that has been her best to date. Piece of cake (bait).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We caravaned down from Salt Lake and hit Lincoln Beach about 7. I was first in the water because they had to put everything together after packing for the airplane. Very few bugs. A few midges, but not as bad as it has been. Water temp 73 to 75. Still prime cattin' water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I launched right at 7:30 and started throwing plastics for white bass and/or walleyes. The water was kinda murky from the wind the night before, so I quickly went to dragging bait when I could not get bit on plastic. Instant pickup and run. Set the hook into a scrappy kitty. Turned out to be my biggest fish of the day...a nice healthy 24" mama cat that weighed 5.5 pounds. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had my second fish in the basket before Trevor and Nicole had launched. Looked like it was gonna be a bananner day. Not quite. I did not net another fish for almost two hours. I caught a bunch of whities (mostly small), but waited until after Trevor had scored his first cat and Nicole had "selectively released" two before injuring them too badly with the hook.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]ABT was pleasantly surprised to find out how hard those kitties pull. At least I think that grin was the result of the first long drawn out tussle. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It took awhile for Nicole to put her first (and only) kitty in the net. It was a nice 4 pounder though. Trevor followed with his second (and biggest)...a 5 pound 24 incher. He said that one fought harder than the first.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I brought five channels to the tube...from 21" to 2 at 24". All good healthy fish. All hit hard and fought hard. The fish are in and active. But...we could not get bit in less than 5 feet of water. Every fish we caught was between 5 and 7 feet deep. Not sure if they are holding in the same areas around the lake, but where we fished you needed to keep it in the deeper spots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the way back in, after the traditional noon wind came up and there were ominous clouds around the lake, I was power kicking to get back to the car. I had my tube moving and my fish basket was laying over a bit. One of my cats spied the opening where I had left the lid unfastened and did a Houdini...or Mrs Houdini. Anyway, she earned her freedom by being observant and taking advantage of an opening.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was fun introducing our international members to some good old fashioned kitty smackin'. They are already accomplished tubers and good anglers. It didn't take too much coaching or micromanagement to get them into a few fish. I'm especially glad that Nicole set a new high for herself on catfish. Maybe she will come back for some bigger ones sometime.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
What can I say? How about - I's a tough job but someone (Tube Dude) has to do it , right? [sly] I'm getting the ich for Ut. Lake again. Sounds like it might be getting started again? Good on ya.[Smile]
Leaky
[cool][#0000ff]My next shot is going to be on the west side. I suspect that the fish have pulled out of the weeds there, with the dropping water level and temps, and are out in deeper water too. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Will be looking for it! Any idea when?
Leaky
Sure sounds like a great day. I'm glad the fishies decided to cooperate with the international reps! Nice work Pat.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Over the next two weeks I will be circling Utah Lake, checking all of the access spots. There are quite a few early reports of walleyes starting to bite and I want to check out the conditions...depth, structure, white bass numbers, etc. Of course I will be dragging some suitable bait to entice a kitty or two while conducting my research.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First shot might be Monday next week, since my potential " hookups" for Pineview are all turning flaky.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm packing my bags to come home! Hope the fishing holds up for the next couple of weeks!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It can only get better with you there to lend immoral support.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Remember all of the good cattin' we have had clear up to the first of November some years?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come on home and I'll thaw some more bait.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
oh come on you two... get a room!!!!!!!!!!![Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sometimes a little separation works better. Absence makes the hot grow fonder. Need all the help ya can get when you reach our age...just to remember what it's all about. Fishing takes the pressure off.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TMI.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great pics!
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Awesome pictures TD. Way to show them that we have some good sized kitties here in UT.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks Bro. They are coming back for a shot at some walleye. Know anybody who could help with that?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, TD. Sounds like you were the consimate(sp?) professional as usual with your guiding services. Glad you guys all got into the wiskerfish.

I have yet to catch one this year (out of one trip to L.B.), but plan to change that really soon with the start of Cougar football, as I plan on doing some morning cat/'eye fishing before the early p.m. kickoffs the next two months...
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]I might know some people. Let me know when that happens, I haven't been fishing in a really loooong time. Work and school sucks![/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Thats great that you got them into some kitties.Its awesome that they got to experience the power those kitties have.I really need to wet a hook bad!I have the tuesday after labor day off let me know if you plan on hitting lincoln and i will join ya!
[signature]
Glad you got into the kitties... It's nice when out of town visitors get to see what Utah lake cat fishing can be like.

I'm going Sunday morning on the west side and I'll try deeper water first, maybe I'll luck out and get a walleye or two.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I had planned to help DWR on Mantua, to catch more fish for the kids' pond at the State Fair. But, if we get a good load on Monday, I could be persuaded to head south instead. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PM me if it's a definite. We can watch the weather forecast together.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Shoot me a PM letting me know where to meet ya and I will join you. That is on my target list for the next week. As long as I am home in the late afternoon to pick up TubeBabe at the airport, I'm good to go.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Heck, if the fishing is good, maybe she will have to take a shuttle.[/#0000ff]
[signature]