Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wobblers
Anybody know where to find the good ole Strawberry Wobblers? Thanks
all the good old Strawberry Wobblers i ever seen where hand crafted home made job's..

my grandpa had a jig made up on his anvil for putting the rounded indenttations in the brass plates he made them out of. thin stanless wokes as well but a lot harder to work with..
[signature]
The thin stainless don't fish like Wobblers at all. The whole key to the action is the weight of the brass and the way it SLOWLY flutters in the water. SS is to light and flutters to fast.

The origional wobbler is the "Lake Clear" wobbler out of Gilbertville, NY. I get a bunch everytime I am back east. They work super well at the berry, they work super well every where.
[signature]
Man I havent thought of those things in ages... wow that takes me back. I havent see one in ages... beyond the green "Frog" wobbler I keep around for sentimental values.

-DallanC
[signature]
The original "Strawberry Wobblers" were sold by the same manufacturer in Utah Valley that also sold the Carter Spoons. The company has gone out of business and they are no longer manufactured (unless someone has started producing them just recently).
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]I did a search to see what the Web has on Wobblers. Here is a 2 year old quote from another message board:

"You can get a catalog of all Lake Clear Wabblers and their other lures by writing Thomas M. Delaney at 10 Spring St., P.O. Box 301, Gilbertsville, NY 13776-0301 or calling 607-783-2587."[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
Lake Clear Wabblers are not like the old Strawberry Wobblers. They are completely different. I'll see if I can get a picture up tomorrow. I also have an origional Strawberry Wobbler, If I can find it I'll do a side by side.

Wobblers (berry) were square shaped with rounded corners and a pronounced "lip" stamped into each end.
Wabblers are shaped like a football, coming to a point on each end and having a slight arch throughout the length of the lure.
[signature]
My best friends Gpa made em but has since past. What about the acme little cleo? They seem to fit the description above? I've never seen a wobbler but these look good?

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=2WQMBYKJ35VPXLAQBBISCOFMCAEFEIWE?id=0030464110902a&navCount=0&podId=0030464&parentId=cat20309&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=null-cat20309_TGP&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20309&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true&_requestid=9174"]LINK TO CABELAS[/url]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We had another discussion on the Strawberry Wobbler a while back. BFTer LloydE is an oldtimer from the Provo area and knows the lure...and makers...well. He posted [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=356080#356080"]THIS RESPONSE[/url] advising that he could provide contact info for the person still making these lures. Suggest you PM Lloyd.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I know this is along time after your reguest but they are still available I have them or you can buy them at the strawberry bay marina. Rocky mountain fishing lures 801-756-2078
[signature]
We just found this post as we were putting together the Obituary for our beloved father/grandfather Roy E. Carter, who passed away just this morning. We were pleased to find your thread on this subject.

Roy was the original inventor of the famous Carter Spoons, Frogs and Strawberry Wobblers. He started the company Rocky Mountain Lures and sold to all the bait & tackle shops, marina's and outdoor stores for over 30 years.

Unfortunately, due to the digression of his health, the lures have not been available for about 10 years, thus the posts asking around for them. We wish they were still available, but each unit was made by hand and the design was very intricate. Roy spent hours, days, and years prefecting the balance, spin, shape, and design of his craft, and because of this, his lures have been the talk of fisherman in the surrounding area for many decades.

At the bottom of this thread is the contact info for someone who claims to be Rocky Mountain Lures. His name is Ray Snow, and he says that he sells Strawberry Wobblers, listing his phone number as 801-756-2078. We are fine with people making wobblers and lures, but we are upset that this individual claims that he is the real, original Rocky Mountain Lures, when indeed, he is not. We would hope that he would discontinue the practice of representing something that he is not.

While we do have a small quantity of our lures still in our possession, you can imagine how sentimental they are to us. We obviously cannot use all of them, but keeping as many as we can in the family is our goal. The time may come when we have a small quantity available for sale, but we need to figure out where they are all going to go. If you are interested, please send an email us at: RockyMountainLures@gmail.com

Thanks for your interest, and thanks for loving fishing as much as we do and our father did.
[signature]
been no clips on this page.OCR Text this is from the Provo herald
I - • * •• .-.-»* Sportsmen Plan 'Show Me' Trip Into Tank Hollow District DAILY HERALD THUESDAY, MAY 8, 1958 11 Utah County, Utah ' ' If your fishing temperature is running high there is f 01 time to TO!& m% and limber up your arm before June 7. . . ' . ' Here are some of the latest reports coming to this corner. Most of the streams open to all year angling are now muddied up with the runoff. These include the Fremont, Sevier River, Asay Creek and others. Still a few trout are being caught on the Provo below the Geneva Bridge where it has been open to angling since Jan. 1. The best of it other than for trout is the better-than- fair returns now coming from Utah Lake. Though it will be better every day from now until late summer, some bass and many good catches of channel catfish have been taken during the past week. Most of the channels taken so far are of the smaller size up to a pound and the several we saw caught were mostly taken on shrimp. If .you want trout the three best spots right now are Scofield, Nine Mile Reservoir and PaliSades Lake. Unless you wish to try at trolling for an occasional big mack or native at Bear Lake. Point is, there is no need chaffing at the bit if the fever is running high. Plenty of places to go—and if the little woman complains at the early start of the season it could be 'fun to take your betterhalf and the kids all along with you for an early season picnic. They Make It A Family Business A plug here for an old friend, a nice guy, and one who has "hobbied" himself into the fishing lure business with the aid of his little family. Brig Mitchell, Provo, is one those fishing diehards and outdoor enthusiasts who decided to make a hobby of marketing his special trolling lures (after making and giving scores of them away over the years.) His first venture was the Strawberry wobblers you've seen on dealers shelves for some time now. His venture this year is a smaller lure called the Brig's Special. If the new wobbler is as good a fish getter as the old one we can vouch for its fish getting ability. And if it is, then Brig will soon need more than his tittle family to keep the product moving onto the dealer's Until now nis "working crew M has been Us wife Mary and twin daughters Janice and Joyce. Dad machines them out and the feminine three-fourths of the family do most of the various colored patterns. The latter job so well done that it has mutual appeal to fish and fishermen alike. In a few words that is the story of years of daydreams and hard work growing from a hobby t6 a • little family business. • It could be a real success story, one which is an asset to any community. We'd guess it will be and it couldn't happen to better fishing-folks.

Brig Mitchell was my uncle I used to watch them press them out and the girls painted them, You could not believe how many fish have been caught on these lures. I lost a whole tackle box full of the strawberry wobblers, Brig specials and even some blanks that were not painted.
My cousins and I used yell from boat to boat, what are biting on nickel brass, brass copper they had different medals on both sides. or my personal favorite the brig special. This brings back a lot of memories. Have a good day
[signature]
olmoose,

Strawberry wobblers. About half a dozen guys got together down at foundry at geneva and they made the first original molds. I think they were copied from there out. Meaning many more. The brigg special I believe become later called the Shaboom. It worked as well as strawberry wobblers did. They also made the mold that made the carter spoon too. That pink and white carter spoon was the hottest thing for 4 or 5 years. before they started selling it to the public. Yes I still have my strawberry wobblers. I still have my shabooms. I asked a little old man down to deer creek one day what was his favorite lure to troll with. he told me carter spoon but couldnt find no where to buy them anymore and he had lost all but one of his. So it didnt take me long down to the coffee shop to give him my dozen carter spoons. Now of course he had to put new hooks on all
of them. Cause 20 years ago I fell in love with the jig. I think I have almost forgot how to catch trout trolling. Maybe Wink Just my 2 cents. A little side note my pops worked at geneva he would get 13 weeks vacation and 3 weeks sick pay. Now you know where I spent my summers. Fishing the big Berry.
[signature]
My father lost his last Strawberry Wobbler to a Scofield monster last fall.

We've also been looking for replacements.

We've tried a few other wobblers with success.... but still nothing like the Strawberry.
[signature]
About 10 years ago I was fortunate enough to meet a gentleman getting rid of his fishing equipment. He gave me a tackle box of gear. In that box was a bag of the original wobbler blanks. I have never counted how many but its a bunch. We use them quite often. If I can I will try to get a picture of them all and post them on here. Don't ask if you can buy them. They are not for sale as you just can't find them anymore.
[signature]