Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epic Lake Cathrine Adventure 4-9
epic trip for sure ! nice pics [cool]

what was the best go to bait color and size? did you have to jig them or was dead sticking the best way ?

thanks for all of the info.
[signature]
[quote in2fishing]epic trip for sure ! nice pics [cool]

what was the best go to bait color and size? did you have to jig them or was dead sticking the best way ?

thanks for all of the info.[/quote]

I think the pink tiger glow ice fly was the best. Much smaller! The pumpkin pepper jig was decent but at 1/32oz in size it was too big.

The best bait was nightcrawler. I only tried that as I left the salmon eggs in the car. I had powerbait on me but I didn't dare switch once we were getting bites.

Dead sticking was semi effective but the best was to dead stick a few minutes, then lift a few inches and BAM the strike was on. Jiging was in-effective. We had to keep the finger on the line to sense the bites. Super light bites my friend!!! Barely a bump was felt.
[signature]
Great looking fish! Wish I didn't have to work yesterday and could have come along...
[signature]
[quote fish_fear_me2]Hmmm, Hike up hill in deep snow....drill a hole by hand through five and half feet of Ice....I would be in the hospital...great to be young... good on ya![/quote]

An awesome trip it was. The next adventure will be even more beautiful, and a much longer hike....but the ice needs to start shrinking first. Hard to believe people complain about hand drilling through 10 inches of ice.....try hand drilling 3 holes through 67.5 inches of ice! Thats 202.5 inches of ice. My arms are sore today from that one!
In the summer I am sure gonna miss skiing back down! Although I am sure the colors will make up for that! Here is a shot I got 2 years ago at that lake.

[Image: 646576.JPG]
[signature]
Do you know when the ice comes off up thier, I want to make a trip this summer.
[signature]
[quote DKStroutfitter]I don't see any specific regs for Cathrine.
That tells me the limit is 4.[/quote]

What a great opportunity for the twins to learn something new: RAC meetings are getting started -- maybe the twins should recommend including a bonus limit of brook trout on this lake?
[signature]
[quote STEVEF39]Do you know when the ice comes off up thier, I want to make a trip this summer.[/quote]

That will be a few months from now! Don't worry I will be checking in on those lakes from time to time. The backcountry skiing around there will become the focus and the scouting ice off will be the bonus! The rods will be in the packs![Wink]
[signature]
[quote PBH][quote DKStroutfitter]I don't see any specific regs for Cathrine.
That tells me the limit is 4.[/quote]

What a great opportunity for the twins to learn something new: RAC meetings are getting started -- maybe the twins should recommend including a bonus limit of brook trout on this lake?[/quote]

When is the RAC meet?

1 trip is not enough for me to make a judgement call. If I continue to see the skinny slimmers trip after trip then yeah I might just do that.

Something tells me I just missed the lunker this time.
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]

1 trip is not enough for me to make a judgement call. If I continue to see the skinny slimmers trip after trip then yeah I might just do that. [/quote]

ummmm.....look at your pictures. It's pretty obvious that the lake could use a bit more harvest....

http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings...hedule.pdf
[signature]
You know what you are right PBH. I just got off the phone with a frequent user of Cathrine and he said they all lok like that! Sad, time for more harvest!

I know my twin and I will do our part this year.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote sinergy]Just out of curiosity and im not bagging on you, your allowed keep what ever fish but if the largest fish was 12.5 inches why not release small fish ???

Again not bagging on you you guys have taken allot ish' in the past couple of weeks just asking[/quote]It actually helps the fishery to take a limit of fish out of lakes with stunted brook trout. The remaining fish will get more food and get healthier.
[signature]
Woops, I didn't see all the replys untill after my post. But with all the things being said, usually on brook trout lakes if you're catching stunted brook trout, all the brook trout in that lake will be stunted untill something thins them out. Winterkill, less stocking, low water, or something to stop them from reproducing, such as stocking sterile fish. Anglers can only do so much, and surely you guys keeping a full limit could only help.
[signature]
Sweet! Couple of S turns, skiing in shorts and catching fish. Only in Utah.
[signature]
Beautiful fish and pictures guys, good work keep posting a lot of folks enjoy your posts it sounds like, I haven't had a chance to read many of your posts, because I am not a huge trout fisherman, but I enjoyed this one.
[signature]
So if I read the link correctly PBH the next RAC meeting for fishing guidebook rules will be on November 1st, 2012? I will likely be there....asking for a reduced Lake trout limit at Lake Mary. It should perhaps be reduced to just one. Maybe insted of putting it in the books they could put up a sign at Lake Mary with those regs....much like several other reservoirs that are C/R and A/F that are not in guidebooks but do have restrictions.

Thanks PBH for the link and all.
[signature]
[quote EvilTyeDyeTwin]....asking for a reduced Lake trout limit at Lake Mary. It should perhaps be reduced to just one. [/quote]

You've got much to learn, young spiky hair dude.

You need to ask yourself a question: what is currently restricting lake trout at Lake Mary from reaching larger sizes?

How much pressure does Lake Mary really get by anglers harvesting lake trout?

I seriously doubt that "angler harvest" is limiting them (lake trout). If it's not angler harvest, then why in the world would you want to restrict angler harvest? You must first identify what the limiting factor is if you want to increase the size of the fish.

Here's some light reading for you. Who knows, maybe you'll learn something: (see attachment at bottom of this post)
[signature]
[quote PBH][quote EvilTyeDyeTwin]....asking for a reduced Lake trout limit at Lake Mary. It should perhaps be reduced to just one. [/quote]

You've got much to learn, young spiky hair dude.

You need to ask yourself a question: what is currently restricting lake trout at Lake Mary from reaching larger sizes?

How much pressure does Lake Mary really get by anglers harvesting lake trout?

I seriously doubt that "angler harvest" is limiting them (lake trout). If it's not angler harvest, then why in the world would you want to restrict angler harvest? You must first identify what the limiting factor is if you want to increase the size of the fish.

Here's some light reading for you. Who knows, maybe you'll learn something: (see attachment at bottom of this post)[/quote]

We have no beef with the size. Hell a 9 inch laker would be fun to catch! We are just uneasy about the thought of the real "pro's" walking out with 4 per day. Trust me Mac fishin 12 miles from SLC is way shorter than the Gorge or Bear Lake or Fish Lake.
[signature]
tyedye -- seriously?

Just a few questions for you:

1. How many people were fishing Lake Mary the last time you were there?

2. How many times have you personally watched a group of people limit out on lake trout at Lake Mary, and take them home?

3. Have you called and spoken to either Don Wiley or Mike Slater about your concerns? If not, would you like me to get their phone numbers for you?

Here's the thing: your intentions are admirable, however your lack of understanding sticks out like a sore thumb. Like many others in this day and age, you are passionate about something that you understand little about, which makes you attempt to "correct" the incorrect things. That doesn't help.

did you read the document I attached? If not, instead of wasting the next 5 minutes of your life by responding to silly internet forum messages, and read the document. You can use the next 5 minutes to learn something that you will benefit from for the rest of your fishing life, or you can waste the next 5 minutes and learn next-to-nothing. Your choice. (you asked for a flyfishing mentor -- but what you really need is just a fishing mentor. Take the advice that you are given, and stop ignoring what you ask for!!)
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]
We have no beef with the size. Hell a 9 inch laker would be fun to catch! We are just uneasy about the thought of the real "pro's" walking out with 4 per day. Trust me Mac fishin 12 miles from SLC is way shorter than the Gorge or Bear Lake or Fish Lake.[/quote]
Please read what you just posted. And think why so many people get pissed at you two for posting constantly about certain waters that can't take the pressure. The internet is a wonderful tool. Especially for lurkers wanting an easy catch. You post it, thousands read it.

WE ARE UNEASY ABOUT THE THOUGHT OF THE REAL "PRO'S" WALKING OUT WITH 4 PER DAY." TRUST ME MAC FISHIN 12 MILES FROM SLC IS WAY SHORTER THAN THE GORGE OR BEAR LAKE, OR FISH LAKE"

If you really felt that way, the subject of lakers at Mary's wouldn't have existed.
[signature]
I don't regret posting about the lakers in mary or the other waters I have posted. Not buying the pressure argument at this time.

PBH is right. I need a better argument if I am going to propose a regulation change. There is a biologist that has a degree on the subject of Lake Mary and knows the lake better than I do.
[signature]